GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WestCoastDub's Car Audio Build

WestCoastDub

Ready to race!
So I'm in the planning stages of my car audio build, I expect to have everything finished by the end of August. I would like to focus on SQ and have a budget of ~$2,000. Anyways, here's my list of parts I'm leaning towards as of right now, and I had some questions and am seeking some recommendations.

Head Unit: Alpine X-305S.
I'm pretty set on this, I am addicted to Pandora and am not looking to get a double-DIN head unit with a screen so this is basically it.

Speakers: Hertz ESK 163L, stock rear speakers (possibly unconnected).
I would really prefer to keep a 3 way component set up because I don't want to fabricate/get kick panels to make a 2 way set up feasible and I don't want to mod the door frame.

Amp: JL XD600 or Alpine PDX.5
This is where I would like some advice. I ideally want one amp to drive my speakers and sub and want the flexibility to upgrade my rear speakers down the line and use the same amp. Space wise, I want the amp to fit under the drivers seat.

Sub Enclosure: Audio Integrations 10in box.
Love the flush with side of trunk look. Already bought this so I'm sticking with it.

Sub: JL 10w3?
I'm completely unsure on what sub to use. My only limiting factors are it must be 10", fit in the Audio Integrations box, and be efficient enough that I can drive it near its rated RMS wattage with whatever amp I get.

Questions:
1) Alpine IMPRINT processor, AudioControl LineDriver, or just straight from the head unit's lackluster 2V preamp outs to the amp?

2) Should I just leave my stock rears unplugged? I heard its not really necessary to upgrade them, but how would I plug them into an aftermarket amp: doesn't the tweeter and mid on both sides have their own wiring to the stock premium amp?

3) Comments/Suggestions on equipment?

I'll keep you guys updated with pictures and install info. I start sound deadening next weekend!

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
where you buyin the hertz speakers from?

also. i have an AI box with a 10w3v2 and couldn't be happier!

WestCoastDub

Ready to race!
I'm getting them from a local dealer. He quoted me at $375 for them which I think is fair. Yeah I'm definitely considering that exact sub, a friend is willing to sell me one cheap. What amp are you driving yours with? Dual 2ohm or 4 ohm voice coils?

WestCoastDub

Ready to race!
AudioIntegrations custom fit sub box came today. Here's some pics. Beautiful product imo, however I just lost the ability to use my trunk tray.

Attachments

• box3.jpg
    box3.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 932
  • box4.jpg
    box4.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 948

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
I'm getting them from a local dealer. He quoted me at $375 for them which I think is fair. Yeah I'm definitely considering that exact sub, a friend is willing to sell me one cheap. What amp are you driving yours with? Dual 2ohm or 4 ohm voice coils?

Nice! i've been looking at the exact set for my fronts but haven't really done my research in finding a socal dealer just yet.

and a JL 250/1. 2 ohm. pushes it really well. i'm a fan! i'll probably replace it with an HD900/5 if i replace the speakers though.

WestCoastDub

Ready to race!
I think I'm going with a Memphis M1 10" single 4ohm after talking to my local car audio shop and reading up on it. How did you mount your amp? I'm going to mount my JL 600/6 under the drivers seat but am curious as to how it's actually going to bolt/screw in. Did you screw into the floor?

WestCoastDub

Ready to race!
yeah. It's a great amp, 2 channels are usually bridged for the sub which is what I'm going to do. I'' have 75W RMSx4 and 200RMSx1 all at 4 ohms.

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Check out the Ultra LV-10. Just put one in one of those same boxes and it sounds amazing. I've never been impressed by JL, you pay so much for the name and you can get so much better equipment...

http://www.ultracaraudio.com/lv-series.html

WestCoastDub

Ready to race!
Update:

So I completed all the sound deadening I'm likely to do. I did the front outer door skins with raammat BXTII and ensolite foam, the entire trunk area with raammat BXTII, and some more raammat on the plastic "inner door skin." I didn't take any pics unfortunately but it was very straightforward, I followed DIY's on here and the 'tex. My only issue I ran into was reassembling the passenger door latch assembly after reattaching the outer door skin on that side. After hours of fiddling around, My friend and I finally got it back on properly.

I plan to tackle the rest of the install next week and hopefully be done by the 15th. I'm still waiting on some custom made brackets, Connects2 adapters, and an Alpine IMPRINT processor. Props to Jacob at High Desert Mobile Electronics in New Mexico. I'm in Cali but he was willing to make me some brackets for the Hertz HSK163 mids and hook it up with the hard to get Connects2 stuff. Here's a lil teaser pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 679

WestCoastDub

Ready to race!
Update: So everything's installed and running smoothly now. I didn't really take many pics of the install process unfortunately but it was very straightforward; I followed the DIYs found here and on vwvortex. If anyone has any specific or detailed questions I'd be happy to explain/help as much as I can.

I'd like to give a quick shout out to Jacob Brown at High Desert Mobile Electronics in Albuquerque, NM. I ordered my Connects2 stuff from him (authorized dealer) as well as some custom made brackets for the mid speakers. He was INCREDIBLY helpful throughout the entire process and was genuinely interested in helping and making sure everything worked correctly and as expected. I STRONGLY recommend getting at the very least Connects2 equipment from him as he is one of the few US dealers for them. Do you really want to ship your stuff to England in the case that something bad happens?

First off let me say that these speakers are AMAZING. The midbass response is crazy! To achieve balance with my sub, I have the HP crossover on the amp for the front stage set at 120Hz. LP for the sub is at 80Hz. The Memphis M1 10" single 4ohm voice coil matched up great with my JL XD600/6, and could really take a bit more power if one were so inclined.

Some issues to be aware of for people performing a similar install:

Speaker wiring
I intercepted the stock wiring at the stock amp under the driver seat. I used the + and - wire for front left bass and the + and - wire for front right bass to sent the speaker output from the amp to both doors. I then intercepted this wire at the door and sent it to the crossover. I mounted the crossover against the door and removed the black foam pieces from the inner door panel for room. One important thing to note: the wires for front right and left bass speakers SWITCH WITH EACH OTHER at some point in their paths. So if you're simply matching wire colors at the amp and speakers, they are opposite! I forgot the exact colors but for example if front left was red and black in the door and front right was yellow and blue at the doors, they will be swapped at the amp. At the amp, front left will be yellow and blue and front right will be red and black (These are just example colors, not the actual ones used).

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Update: So everything's installed and running smoothly now. I didn't really take many pics of the install process unfortunately but it was very straightforward; I followed the DIYs found here and on vwvortex. If anyone has any specific or detailed questions I'd be happy to explain/help as much as I can.

I'd like to give a quick shout out to Jacob Brown at High Desert Mobile Electronics in Albuquerque, NM. I ordered my Connects2 stuff from him (authorized dealer) as well as some custom made brackets for the mid speakers. He was INCREDIBLY helpful throughout the entire process and was genuinely interested in helping and making sure everything worked correctly and as expected. I STRONGLY recommend getting at the very least Connects2 equipment from him as he is one of the few US dealers for them. Do you really want to ship your stuff to England in the case that something bad happens?

First off let me say that these speakers are AMAZING. The midbass response is crazy! To achieve balance with my sub, I have the HP crossover on the amp for the front stage set at 120Hz. LP for the sub is at 80Hz. The Memphis M1 10" single 4ohm voice coil matched up great with my JL XD600/6, and could really take a bit more power if one were so inclined.

Some issues to be aware of for people performing a similar install:

Speaker wiring
I intercepted the stock wiring at the stock amp under the driver seat. I used the + and - wire for front left bass and the + and - wire for front right bass to sent the speaker output from the amp to both doors. I then intercepted this wire at the door and sent it to the crossover. I mounted the crossover against the door and removed the black foam pieces from the inner door panel for room. One important thing to note: the wires for front right and left bass speakers SWITCH WITH EACH OTHER at some point in their paths. So if you're simply matching wire colors at the amp and speakers, they are opposite! I forgot the exact colors but for example if front left was red and black in the door and front right was yellow and blue at the doors, they will be swapped at the amp. At the amp, front left will be yellow and blue and front right will be red and black (These are just example colors, not the actual ones used).

Glad everything went well. Just wait until the speakers break in, they smooth out even more. I couldn't be happier with the speakers. Enjoy!