GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird vr6 sound when taking off. :/

on3fastgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 V Dub Gti (489)
The other day I was driving and started to notice that my car sounded weird. So I pulled over and checked to see maybe it was low on oil. Found out that the PCV that I changed less then 400 miles ago failed and I had oil all over the hood. Replaced the PCV again but the sound is still there. It sounds like a vr6 or a sti (not in a good way) when I'm taking off slowly from a stop... The sound is a very faint rumble with a whiny noise. My mechanic said it sounds like it can be the axel since it only happens when I'm driving and not in Neutral or park.

https://vimeo.com/148582299

alfmoonspace

Ready to race!
Spray some soap water around the the exhaust to see if you find leaks. Do you have access to a Vag Com to check for codes? What makes your mechanic think its the axle, has he driven it?

BTW, from that really short sound clip its hard to tell anything (it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak). Re-record a longer clip if you can.

on3fastgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
07 V Dub Gti (489)
My mechanic checked with the vag all it said was 02 sensors bcuz of my exhaust. We didn't put the car on the lift yet so anything else hasn't been ruled out. I took him around the block with the car and he heard it a little but he said It wasn't that noticeable. He said it seem like only when the car is moving it makes that noise. When the cars in park and neutral and i rev it slowly trying to reproduce the sound it doesn't work. Even with it in drive holding down the break and gas still nothing. The car has to be in motion slowly accelerating from a stop to hear that (vr6/sti) noise.