GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird suspension noises?

Iceman22

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and also a proud new owner of a Mk7 GTD, which I absolutely love. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, had a B5.5 Passat before, and I'm noticing strange sounds coming from (i assume) the suspention.

Basically when I'm driving slowly on an uneven surface (like tile road), I can hear a noise that sounds like two metal parts hitting each other. It doesn't sound too bad, doesn't happen all the time and I can only hear it with the windows down, but I figured I'd ask if it's normal or if I should have it looked at. I had the same noise on my Passat, but I figured it was cause of it's age. I don't think I heard it on other cars.

Btw I bought the car from a used car dealer, who brought it here from Germany, so I can't contact the previous owner.

Big thanks for any answers and I apologize if something doesn't make sense, English isn't my first language.

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Does it sound like it's coming from the front or the rear of the car?

Btw your English is better then some North Americans on here!

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Does it sound like it's coming from the front or the rear of the car?

Btw your English is better then some North Americans on here!

than* ;) Hahaha sorry I had to it was too funny.

OP, try and pinpoint location whether it's in the front up by the strut bearings or lower by the wheel bearing. Those are pretty common failure/noise locations. Also note anything you might feel when these noises occur.

Iceman22

Thanks for the replies guys, I can't really tell where exactly it's coming from, it's not loud or anything, it's just a slight clicking noise, I have to have my windows down to hear it and I don't feel anything unusual while driving. My best guess would be front of the car, but that's the best I can do.

I don't really think it's any serious issue but you know how it is, hearing something new from your car stresses you out a little and I don't want to spend any of that paramedic pay on a mechanic unless I have to :D

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
than* ;) Hahaha sorry I had to it was too funny.

See what I mean haha!

OP, try and pinpoint location whether it's in the front up by the strut bearings or lower by the wheel bearing. Those are pretty common failure/noise locations. Also note anything you might feel when these noises occur.

If it's coming from the rear there's also a known issue where the rear shock piston bangs against the upper strut mount. YouTube Video example here:

https://youtu.be/lN3-8Ib4k_g

Iceman22

See what I mean haha!

If it's coming from the rear there's also a known issue where the rear shock piston bangs against the upper strut mount. YouTube Video example here:

https://youtu.be/lN3-8Ib4k_g

It actually could be that, sounds about the same and like I said, it's only a guess that the sound is coming from the front, it's not really that clear. Do you think I should have it looked at, or just ignore it for now? It really doesn't happen often. I have to be going slowly on tile roads for example and even then it doesn't happen all the time.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
It'd be pretty easy to check for yourself if you jack the rear of the car up, remove the tire and bang on the shock like in the video. If that's what it is I don't think it's a safety issue, more of an annoyance.

Iceman22

It'd be pretty easy to check for yourself if you jack the rear of the car up, remove the tire and bang on the shock like in the video. If that's what it is I don't think it's a safety issue, more of an annoyance.

Alright, I'll check that over the weekend. Thanks a lot, makes me feel better knowing it's probably nothing too bad :D