GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird Idle, Card Shutting off (please help)

GTIMD

Passed Driver's Ed
EDIT (SORRY CAR SHUTTING OFF)

So this morning out for my morning cup of coffee and on my way back to the house i noticed a strange idle.

(I know there has been threads about this but this is different)

I have left the car, and taken our spare car to work not to risk it. My wife has gone to the car I have asked her to turn it on and off a few times to see if the issue goes away (according to other threads). The car stays on for about 10-25 seconds and turns off by itself, while on shaking violently.
Car has only 9k miles on it :mad0259:

The check engine light is on, and also the MRS's said the battery light goes on sometimes. Not sure what to do. I have called the local dealer and scheduled an appointment at 7:30am tomorrow.

Please help, I would like to have a semi educated discussion with the tech tomorrow morning.

Also should i drive the car (if possible) or should i call roadside assistance to come get it?

THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

GTIMD

Passed Driver's Ed
Im in work right now but that will be the first thing i check when i get home. Would the check engine light come on if it was the oil or is there a oil light either on the cluster or on the MFD?

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
well if your oil is really low the check engine light would come on. I'm not sure if it will cause the weird idling but I know that an engine needs proper lube in order to work. If there is low quality or not enough oil, I guess it would buckle or make weird noises. I'm not a mechanic but i'm just guessing. First thing I would def check is the oil, if that's not it you should bring it to the dealers to get checked out

dbest6808

Ready to race!
It could be the fuel pump. Sounds like its stalling out.

GTIMD

Passed Driver's Ed
The, car is still before its first oil change so the oil is Castrol that they put in the engine when its built. I will make sure to check it before try to start anything again.

Wife said that it is not very eager to start but it does for about 10 seconds then stops. I dont get it, the car is parked in a garage with no oil leaks and last i checked 2 weeks ago the oil level was fine.

Hope its the fuel pump or something small and not a serious issue.
:yikes:

johnnytwothumbs

Passed Driver's Ed
I bet fuel pump. Happened to my 335i and sounds just like what you're describing. Keep us posted and I hope you have it back quickly. GTI's get depressed on prolonged visits to the mechanic.

GTIMD

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got my second call from the dealer today.

This morning when i went in to speak to the Tech i showed them a video of the engine suttering and told them that it is a real issue, and if they do not see it when they start the car to investigate further.

First they called and said that there was an error code however they could not find anything. They also mentioned they would perform the 10K service as the car is at 9K and its close enough. I was not completely satisfied and asked to please investigate a little further as i don't want to be visiting the dealer once a month.

Well Crestmont VW (Pompton Plains NJ) Delivered. David from the service department called said they investigated further and found that the cam shaft adjustment valve is the problem. Not an issue that I have caused just a factory defect.

If you notice your car jerking on start up, shutting off or sputtering, Please dont drive it it could cause major issues down the road.

I have to say I am impressed with Crestmont, they called around the time they promised, followed my request and investigated further. Now hopefully i will get my car back within a day or 2.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I will post any further updates.

ph0shizle

Passed Driver's Ed
i had this issue with my previous car(subaru sti). it got worse and worse. they ended up replacing the fuel pump but then it died again a week later, then they found out it was the fuel regulator.