GOLFMKV

Washington Post Volkswagen Article

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
This is very bad news.

If I wanted an ordinary and boring car I would have bought a Camry. :thumbdown:

FTA: "The cars will have a decidedly less European feel, with a more user-friendly steering wheel and entertainment system, an accelerator and brake pedal that are farther apart, and larger cup holders."

Thanks fatasses.

Anyone who takes a cupholder into consideration when shopping for a new car, shouldn't be allowed to make such an expensive decision.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Yea...I'm not to stoked on VW's strategy here. I really like the Germanness of VW's, in fact that was one of the main reasons I bought my GTI. If I wanted an "American" feeling car, I would have bought a Cobalt...with that great...american...interior...*shudders*

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
This is very bad news.

If I wanted an ordinary and boring car I would have bought a Camry. :thumbdown:

FTA: "The cars will have a decidedly less European feel, with a more user-friendly steering wheel and entertainment system, an accelerator and brake pedal that are farther apart, and larger cup holders."

Thanks fatasses.

Anyone who takes a cupholder into consideration when shopping for a new car, shouldn't be allowed to make such an expensive decision.

Hopefully they will still offer the niche cars like the GTI and R32 and this will just be a change to offer more types of cars. So fat ass can go buy his wide luxury cruising car with big cup holders and stuff... but hopefully the little GTI will still be on sale there as well. Let's cross our fingers.

v-dub89

Go Kart Champion
Thanks fatasses.

I lol'd

But it's true. I wish America was a little more like Europe in some ways. Like a less fatass demographic to lead to decisions like these on VW's part... :thumbdown:

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Hopefully they will still offer the niche cars like the GTI and R32 and this will just be a change to offer more types of cars. So fat ass can go buy his wide luxury cruising car with big cup holders and stuff... but hopefully the little GTI will still be on sale there as well. Let's cross our fingers.

But as discussed in a few of the MKVI threads, VW is has already conformed with a more "American" front end. The new generation is much more subtle than the MKV and I fear it's just the beginning.

I truly hope you're right though... let us have our GTI's, R's, and Sciroccos and give the boring families the CC's, Passats, and Jettas.

moniz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I came over from Honda to VW. IF this is to be the NEW VW, then when my GTI bites it(hopefully not for another 20 years! ;) then I'll just go back. I bought a VW because it WASN'T an domestic driving style car. Someone fire this guy and bring in someone who knows what he's doing!

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI

Yea, let's hope they still do enough to appease us "niche" market consumers that they've catered to here for the last 40 years. Ditching us and going mainstream might help the bottom line for a while, but I think they're a little too late. With all the stigma around the "American" car brands these days, going "American" probably isn't the best move. I wish they'd just play up their Germanness and leave the fatasses in Hummers and 300's.

Streetlight

Banned

This. I find it funny how when a new car model comes out, IE a Chrysler town & country they manage to find a way to slip in "and now 12 cupholders" just in case everyone needs 3 beverages to keep themselves sustained...

MkVBlkMgc

Wir wollen lebensraum!
Car(s)
'08 GTI DSG
"Audi officials say they do not intend to duplicate the Volkswagen strategy in Americanizing the cars."

It's time to start thinking about an Audi. Maybe a sweet A5 cabrio...

VW_gti_09

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 vw canywhite gti
i bought a vw cus i really dont like american...and u dont like hondas to much...so i went euro...they should keep it euro i bought it for that reason!

utekineir

Banned
this is awesome, you have no idea how hard it is to fit my 100 oz cup of soda in a vw.

plus, the bolsters hurt, they keep on poking my ribs and thighs, i don't think the seat was made for a red blooded american.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
What an Idiot...

If they have even the slightest belief that this will work; they need to take a look at Saab and its recent history. GM bought it; "americanized" the vehicles and removed almost everything that made them Saab; and now they can't bring in new buyers and they lost a very large chunk of their loyal base because of the crap malibu look-alikes they produce...

moniz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
What an Idiot...

If they have even the slightest belief that this will work; they need to take a look at Saab and its recent history. GM bought it; "americanized" the vehicles and removed almost everything that made them Saab; and now they can't bring in new buyers and they lost a very large chunk of their loyal base because of the crap malibu look-alikes they produce...

:word:

Snarcher

Banned
What they really need to do is make cars that people feel comfortable driving after 70k miles like a Toyota or Honda. Anyone that knows cars does not buy an old vw thnkning it will be trouble free motoring.