GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR Swaybars

In my experience with my GTI, I can turn off traction control so it won't cut power, but if the computers think I'm getting too much rotation then it will apply the brakes to one side of the car to straighten me back out. It's a lot more noticeable in the rain than a dry surface.

miamirice

Ready to race!
In my experience with my GTI, I can turn off traction control so it won't cut power, but if the computers think I'm getting too much rotation then it will apply the brakes to one side of the car to straighten me back out. It's a lot more noticeable in the rain than a dry surface.

^^^^this. It's a joke. If your just plying around it's no biggie. But if you are TT, wheel-to-wheel or just really trying to set a fast lap it's totally programmed to save the street driver from a spin.

Here is my thread and page 2 you can see I posted a video where I was going to great lengths to rotate the MKV. On the final lap the rear pads were done

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162853&highlight=Wtf

Last edited:

GGray

Ready to race!
This stability (ESP) thing really sucks. It should be programmable to be turned off.. not really a legal thing since other MFG's have pure on off for there systems... makes no sense..

My Mk II Gti was a blast on track it would rotate like a champ! Super fun on track humiliated a few high dollar cars with it...

miamirice

Ready to race!
This stability (ESP) thing really sucks. It should be programmable to be turned off.. not really a legal thing since other MFG's have pure on off for there systems... makes no sense..

My Mk II Gti was a blast on track it would rotate like a champ! Super fun on track humiliated a few high dollar cars with it...

Agreed! Do you ever make it to chumpcar? Bimmerworld have been running a nice e36. It's fast.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
OP, this might be interesting? Others have noticed they help with torque steer, and also have backed off on sway bar stiffness after installing. I have not tried them yet, but I am about to order the UB http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50779 I know this isnt really what your talking about here, but just thinking outside of the box, it might be worth playing with for what you are trying to do.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
OP, this might be interesting? Others have noticed they help with torque steer, and also have backed off on sway bar stiffness after installing. I have not tried them yet, but I am about to order the UB http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50779 I know this isnt really what your talking about here, but just thinking outside of the box, it might be worth playing with for what you are trying to do.

I haven't read through the thread entirely, but I believe that the effect of the bracing on torque steer would be minimal.

Torque steer exists in our cars because of unequal length left and right driveshafts, because of the packaging constraints of the transmission under the engine.

From what I understand, torque steer creeps in when the driveshafts change angles (from suspension droop, compression, body roll, etc.). Basically, a higher torque is created on one side because the driveshaft has a different length (and different angle) to create an unbalanced moment. Stiffer swaybars limit that suspension movement left-right (reduce lean), and effectively reduces the torque steer. On the other hand, because I have a LSD, there is likely additional torque steer in cornering under power. Even though it sends more torque to the outside wheels, because the left-right drive torque split is not variable, it may be sending too much torque to the outside wheel depending on the situation, creating torque steer.. actually quite violently sometimes.

I drove an AWD car with torque vectoring last week, and when you are hard on the throttle mid-corner, the diff very quickly ramps up the torque to the rear outside wheel to reduce the understeer and create more yaw to rotate the car. The effect is that the car suddenly jumps to a higher steering angle, and definitely creates torque steer. The LSD and unequal length driveshafts together actually compounds the problem, although the LSD adds many other benefits.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Mandatory photo:

These swaybars cost a pretty penny... $600+ for a pair during the APR/VWR sale.

GGray

Ready to race!
Agreed! Do you ever make it to chumpcar? Bimmerworld have been running a nice e36. It's fast.

I do.. I ran the chump car team in 2013.:w00t: it was a steep learning curve coming from doing just sprint races in BMW CCA. Took almost half the season to get the dam thing to handle decent using only STOCK crap... sucks since we run with one of the series sponsors so cheating is a huge NO NO!

I am building a car with a friend for late next season in chump car so I will not be running with the BimmerWorld/Redline car. And it is not a BMW either... looking like a 1987 944S is the car we will build...

Car got HAMMERED last two races!!! :frown:

miamirice

Ready to race!
I do.. I ran the chump car team in 2013.:w00t: it was a steep learning curve coming from doing just sprint races in BMW CCA. Took almost half the season to get the dam thing to handle decent using only STOCK crap... sucks since we run with one of the series sponsors so cheating is a huge NO NO!

I am building a car with a friend for late next season in chump car so I will not be running with the BimmerWorld/Redline car. And it is not a BMW either... looking like a 1987 944S is the car we will build...

Car got HAMMERED last two races!!! :frown:

The car looked good at Daytona. We are taking our chump 540 to Winterfest night enduro in 2 weeks. Lots of WC and cup cars their. It's action packed. It's a long trip I guess from VA but its a great event.

GGray

Ready to race!
The car looked good at Daytona. We are taking our chump 540 to Winterfest night enduro in 2 weeks. Lots of WC and cup cars their. It's action packed. It's a long trip I guess from VA but its a great event.

Ahh a 540 in the mix :wink: I thought about building one but the 944S shoudl be a heck of a car and its values at SAME cost qas a 944 so I can do a fair amount to it.. Let me know how the 540 does! My 95 540 M sport was surprisingly FAST at Road Atlanta and VIR the times I took it

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
Finally installed these VWR swaybars. Driving impressions to come later. Car needs alignment and brakes first.

miamirice

Ready to race!
Ahh a 540 in the mix :wink: I thought about building one but the 944S shoudl be a heck of a car and its values at SAME cost qas a 944 so I can do a fair amount to it.. Let me know how the 540 does! My 95 540 M sport was surprisingly FAST at Road Atlanta and VIR the times I took it

We led outright for 8 hours and had about a 7 minute lead, when we brought the car in for driver change and fuel the rear diff froze up. Game over.

Ironically we shared a pit with James clay ard crew. The pit next to them had a hell of a fire but everybody was on it immediately.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
await to hear your feedback...

I am liking the 3 way adjustability on these swaybars. So far I tried the softest setting both front the rear. With this setting, the car turns in very quickly, but there is more camber roll than I like. It becomes easier to rotate the car using the throttle mid-corner, but the traction control freaks out more now.

This week I am trying out the middle stiffness up front, and soft in the rear. The car doesnt' turn into corners as quickly, but the reduced front camber roll makes the front tires hook up better.