GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Roadside Assist

ONGIE

With the GTI, VW have the Roadside Assist...now my RACV is due...my dilemma..

Should I renew my RACV or let it slide?, since i have the VW Road Assist.

Have any of you guys used the VW Road assist?, and if so, what was the issue and the VW customer response.

Your feedbacks welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Andre

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
i think just let it slide. i havnt had to use my VW assist yet but i assume its just like the Peugeot Assist.. you call the number and a subcontracted company with a car identical to an RAC ute comes out and fixes your car and if its not fixable they will arrange for a tow.

spelchek

oiler
Car(s)
A5 Golf
Be careful tho with VW roadside assist - especially about anything peculiar to your VW. EG- my missus had the opil light come on a while back and rang the VW roadside assist mob asking about which oil to use. Their answere was "any fully synthetic diesel oil is fine". Great advice.,. unfortunately totally untrue. The TDI has a specific grade of oil (505.01) which MUST be used - if for no other reason Warranty maintainance - not to mention the potential for coking on the pump-deiuce (PD) cam. The specified oil is also NOT fully synthetic.

In other words.. just be careful what they tell you - dont assume they know what they are talking about.

FWIW i still kept my RACQ membership active since purchase (and for that matter even when we purchased our Peugeot 206gti in 2003). WHY? Well for starters, with my 'premium' membership with RACQ, I get more miles for free if i need a tow. That and a couple of other advantages - not to mention keeping my 'years of membership' loyalty stuff.

If you dont have a history with your RAC (etc) , then Id agree with those who say dont bother with having both- just go with the free VW service - unless you do a lot of driving far from home. In other words (I guess) - check what the rules and limits are with VWRA and see how it stacks up against your other membership.

PS. Luckily my better half had taken notice of my obsessive compulsive ramblings about oil prior to the above incident.. and knew that there was more to it than just choosing 'any fully synthetic diesel oil'. She ended up going to the dealership and buying some of the right stuff. Smart cookie she is! :)

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Or put another way... what are the chances that something will go wrong on a brand new car that you'd need to call the RACQ for?

spelchek

oiler
Car(s)
A5 Golf
Famous last words if ever i saw em, drmat. Hope you touched wood whilst tossing salt over the shoulder of a black cat in a broken mirror - or something - as you typed em :)

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
LOL thanks for the jinx spelchek! Touch wood... and i know this will bite me on the ass... i haven't had so much as a puncture for more than 10 years, and never had a car stop on me.

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI
LOL thanks for the jinx spelchek! Touch wood... and i know this will bite me on the ass... i haven't had so much as a puncture for more than 10 years, and never had a car stop on me.
You're royally screwed now then !!!! My Karma will run over your Dogma.

(ps: Salted cat is good in stir fries). :laugh:

CiaranGTI

Schwam, Doo, Doo and heif
I love salty cat wood.

ONGIE

Update..I have paid and maintained my RACV membership...membership years, RACV discount offers and extra assist.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Andre