GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW GTI vs. New Scirocco ?

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
uhh, you said, "VW does not want to import the GTI to the USA because it may and will steal sales from the GTI."

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
Yeah I know...but I can dream... :biggrin:

And hey, they'd get extra sales from those in the US that want it bad enough to import from Canada :lol:

I still think the solution to their name plate crisis is simple...just call it the MK VI GTI in NA, and BAM, no more "we can't sacrifice the GTI name..." :fighting0030:

And if it's a problem of losing $$ due to the low US dollar, raise prices in the States to reflect the global market :biggrin: :yikes: ...That would also help stop the "Canadian crying" about prices here vs in the US :wink:

well its not a golf so it can't be called a GTI. Besides we would instantly complain that we dont get the real MKVI golf

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
well its not a golf so it can't be called a GTI. Besides we would instantly complain that we dont get the real MKVI golf

There's just no winning...:lol:

So if they had originally called it a new generation Golf/GTI/Rabbit then it would be ok? VS calling it a Scirocco in EU?...but yet they can call a golf a Pointer in Mexico...a Jetta (at least used to be) a Bora(I think) in Europe...etc.

My point is I don't care wtf they call it...I just want one...maybe...in about 4-5 years, once/if I've gotten bored with the GTI by then :biggrin:

ekk20

Go Kart Champion
how many hp does this car have?

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
i think VWoA should consider a limited edition scirocco sales here in VWoA. i'm sure a vw enthusiast is somewhere out there to get their hands on this new car.

A limited edition, i'd say bout 2000-3000 scirocco throughout US will not affect mkv sales.

SloppySRT

Taste the Rainbow!
i think VWoA should consider a limited edition scirocco sales here in VWoA. i'm sure a vw enthusiast is somewhere out there to get their hands on this new car.

A limited edition, i'd say bout 2000-3000 scirocco throughout US will not affect mkv sales.

But I think that would put it in direct competition with R32 sales, wouldn't it?

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
Not if they released it in between the 4 years of the R releases (If they stick to that pattern) It would not hurt any sales of any "normal" car, R32 included, if it was released at the right time. It would be more of an "Image" car for VW, brand recognition type thing.

I would not buy one, but I am sure many would consider it. I love the interior size and versitility of the GTI. And to think that it wouldn't directly scalp sales from the GTI if incorporated into VW model lineup is crazy.

brennok

Ready to race!
But I think that would put it in direct competition with R32 sales, wouldn't it?

Not really with the R32 being a 2008 model, we won't see another R32 till 2012 if they keep it on the 4 years as they did before. They easily bring the Scirocco over in 2010 as a limited model. This would keep interest in VW and also work as a cross promotion to celebrate the launch of the MKVI.

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146

Probably too expensive for US modifications and certification at that level.