GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW gas caps

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
I have an '09 JSW SEL, which has the 2.0T, like the GTI.
However, it does not have the remote operated fuel door like the GTI. Instead the door is operated by just pressing on it to open it. Yes, any fool can screw with my gas cap.

I recently sprouted a problem where I get a "fuel cap" warning light/message on the dash, followed by a CEL sometime thereafter. The CEL is P0455: "Evap system, large leak".

At this point I am considering throwing a new gas cap at the car because a gas cap is significantly less than a tech's time.

Problem is I can't find a gas cap like the one I have.

I believe the part number for my cap is 1J0 201 553 N. It is very difficult to read.

I cannot find a match for this from any of the usual suspects.

And the suspects that show images for the caps the recommend for my car are threaded. My cap is not threaded. Instead it has a rubber portion that is compressed when you turn the cap 90-degrees. You just insert the cap in the fuel neck and turn 1/4 turn to seal.

Anyone know anything about this? Are the GTI caps all threaded? Anyone have a cap like my JSW? Are the threaded caps interchangeable?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
2007 screws on. Call your dealer because it might be covered under the federal emissions warranty. And you might want to ask if a locking cap is available from VW.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
the gas cap should lock when the car is locked. u wont be able to press it open, at least its that way on the new GTI's. i'd assume the same for yours

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Wow, they have central locking on the gas cap now? Neat. I wish I had the feature where the windows go down a little so you don't need to slam the doors with the windows up and the fan on high.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Never seen a gas cap like this at autozone. Never seen a gas cap like this on any other vehicle for that matter.

Hence this thread.

Upon closer inspection, a threaded cap will not work. I am pretty sure I'm going to need to give a VW parts guy my VIN to get the right cap.

The locking thing really doesn't bother me.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Never seen a gas cap like this at autozone. Never seen a gas cap like this on any other vehicle for that matter.

Hence this thread.

Upon closer inspection, a threaded cap will not work. I am pretty sure I'm going to need to give a VW parts guy my VIN to get the right cap.

The locking thing really doesn't bother me.

Ask the parts guy for a new cap gasket. Caps almost never go bad unless you hit it with a hammer or something. N80 purge valve also likely culprit.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
You can get the gasket without the cap? Kewl. I'll do that then.

Someday someone will have to tell me how they can't make sensors that know the difference between being faulty themselves, and sensing a fault... But then that's for another rant.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I doubt it's sold separately. I still think it might be covered under an emissions warranty. And I'm thinking you might not be able to buy a locking cap. Also ask if there is something in the tank (like a baffle) that stops someone from siphoning your gas. Or perhaps try it yourself. Might already be something in there. I would keep the old one in the car just in case, unless it's confiscated under warranty.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Parts guy at my local dealer talked me into a whole brand new cap; he has it in stock. The gasket is available, but its a special order. He has "never heard of" replacing just the gasket.

Going to pick up later today.

I figure this is worth a shot instead of dealing with trying to make a warranty claim with my dealer. My relationship with their service department is not that good.

Tylero28

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 rabbit
They do make locking gas Caps for both screw and cam lock caps. Search your local auto parts store, the touareg has the same cam type cap. I believe stant makes them

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Parts guy at my local dealer talked me into a whole brand new cap; he has it in stock. The gasket is available, but its a special order. He has "never heard of" replacing just the gasket.

Going to pick up later today.

I figure this is worth a shot instead of dealing with trying to make a warranty claim with my dealer. My relationship with their service department is not that good.

I walked into our local dealers parts dept and bought a cap rubber gasket, and it was in stock. Parts guy said it was more likely the N80 purge valve, and he turned out to be right.