GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagen Jetta Sport

d.C

DJ
I was reading a car magazine in Hong Kong called Automobile (similar to Car And Driver) and found a article on the Volkswagen Jetta Sport and it caught my attention.

It's equipped with the 2.0 FSI Turbo engine with DSG gear box as the only option. It comes with our North American standard 17" wheels.

What caught my attention is that it comes with ABT bodykit!

I don't have a scanner at home here in Hong Kong but I'll see if I can scan it somewhere else.

VIVA LA BETO

Ready to race!
d.C said:
I was reading a car magazine in Hong Kong called Automobile (similar to Car And Driver) and found a article on the Volkswagen Jetta Sport and it caught my attention.

It's equipped with the 2.0 FSI Turbo engine with DSG gear box as the only option. It comes with our North American standard 17" wheels.

What caught my attention is that it comes with ABT bodykit!

I don't have a scanner at home here in Hong Kong but I'll see if I can scan it somewhere else.

:w00t: are you in Honk Kong??????

GTI2007

Found an online version of the review on vorsicht.org.hk

Jetta Sport

Test Driver / Editor - ric
Photographers - Macmini & ea337
Special Thanks to - Dai Fei

We hate to brat, but we can't help it...

Being the first source to test drive the all new Jetta Sport before any other media, we feel really special.

After a successful launch of the Golf GTI, the brand new Jetta has finally made it onto our shore. The Jetta has been selling in the US market for quite some time now; with the choice of 2.5 and 2.0T engines. In Hong Kong, only the 2.0T is available at the moment. I think the arrangement is totally fine since I believe the 2.0T is a better engine. On top of that, the Jetta Sport we get in Hong Kong has something really special with it – ABT body kit.

Body styling...

If looks could kill, the all new Jetta Sport must be a serial killer. Some might say it is a Golf with a trunk since they are sharing the same chassis and most of other parts; but I feel they are different in terms of the perception. There are some important details that are being updated. VW is using the R32 lookalike chrome U shape grill/front end with the new Jetta. It creates a very nice contrast with the black colored body. The new LED rear lights are great detail touch. The ABT body kit is just like hot Belgium chocolate fudge on top of your favorite Haagen Daz ice-cream. It is extra smooth and sweet. Unlike the boy-racer body kits, the ABT body kit blends in with the Jetta’s body very smoothly and provides a sophisticated outlook. (ABT for VW, is just like AMG for Mercedes Benz) Although the ABT body kit gives a very nice ground effect to the Jetta Sport, it still provides a very good ground clearance; we did not have any problem driving over speed bumps or going up the slopes.

Shoes...

Ask a lady, any lady... One must match a Gucci evening dress with Monolo Balhnik high heels. The Jetta Sport is equipped with a set of 17” wheels, most importantly, a set of P-zero Rosso tires. Moreover, this lady can also run with her high heels. Jetta Sport’s wheels are much better looking than the stock GTI wheels. Although they are only 17”, but the spokes made it look a bit bigger to match up with the body kit. I think it is the best size to run on with both GTI and Jetta. It made the car feel lighter and more responsive. The P-Zero Rosso are 225/17/45. It is very rare to see a car at this price range to be equipped with such good tires. The P-Zero Rosso is a good match with the car’s weight and power. On the day of the test-drive, it was raining in the morning, then sunny in the afternoon. I was able to push the tires to the limit in both conditions. I can ensure you that it provides a good grip in both dry and wet surface.

DSG in well manner

The DSG transmission feels exactly the same as the as the GTI. It provides the same “fast and smooth” shift. When you are driving in traffic with “D”, it provides a smooth ride. And when you decide to do some shifting of your own and put it in “S”, it will wake up and roars like a tiger. The shift paddles behind the steering is the same with GTI, but the shift knob itself is not. It is a T-shape knob with a well mannered look. It doesn’t feel as sporty as the GTI, and it is a bit weird to use the +/- gear shift with the T-shape knob. But I think it is ok, since Jetta should not look as aggressive as the GTI and I would rather use the shift paddles.

Trade Offs...

So you must be thinking now, you can get a bigger trunk, an ABT body kit, P-Zero Rosso tires, LED lights at the same price as the GTI. Well, you do have to trade something off. First, you don't get the cool Recaro's. But I have to say the seats are still very supportive and easily to get in and out of. Second, you don't get the thick steering and sporty foot pedals like the GTI or R32. Third one is the Launch Control. This is not important to most people since it is not a feature that you need everyday. And it doesn't really hurt the car's performance unless you plan to drag race at every traffic light. I leave it up to you to decide what is more important.

Actual Drive...

Most of us should already know that the FSI 2.0T engine is the best in its class, and won all of the awards in the past year or so. I don't want to waste your time to read and my time to write about the engine any more. I will move on to the actual drive and tell you how I feel. As stated with the name, the Jetta Sport gets a sport suspension with it. It feels very similar to the GTI, but body roll is slightly more than the GTI, I believe it is due to longer body and the extra weight. But the handling is still beyond many other cars. It feels just as powerful as the GTI, I don’t think it suffered much performance loss from its extra weight. As mentioned above, I like the 17” wheels setup more than 18”. The tail tends to move a bit more under extreme condition which is also expected but the P-zero just made it up well.

Final Thoughts

I personally think it is a very good deal. If I have the need of a bigger trunk, and more executive look of a 4 doors sedan, I would buy this over the GTI. The trade offs are fair as most people don't have the need of the Launch Control. And the ABT body is just awesome. I think it will be up to the personal needs. The looks of both cars tends to be at different ends, GTI tends to be more aggressive and Jetta tends to be more sophisticated. But in heart, it is the same fun, young, energetic GTI in a 4 door sedan body. Now... what would you choose?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I already did chose......and it was the GTI! Seriously though, I remember looking at both of them at a car show and it didn't take me long at all to realize I wanted the GTI instead. The Jettas a good car and all, just not what I wanted.

GTI2007

I just posted the article because it's an online version of the article d.C was talking about. It's about the Jetta Sport with the Abt bodykit mounted on it from the factory together with 17" Ronal wheels.