Vagabond

Great Teutonic Invention
Car(s)
2009 S3 Sportback
= snobs, :lol:.

Hey that's me now! Watch what you're saying fella :paddle:

:bellyroll:

Actually I had a 98 A4 then my next two cars were both VW's so I guess I'm
not that much of a badge snob. I tend to go for what I think the most appealing car for the money is at the time.

I tend to prefer Euro's over Japanese but saying that I had many Japanese
cars when I was younger (and poorer) and almost without exception had good experiences.

It will be very interesting to see how a Golf R stacks up price wise
compared to an S3. If they only bring in 200 or so I can't see them discounting much so depending on features/discounts
it could be very possible to get an S3 for much the same money.

I got free servicing too :happyanim:

Last edited:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hey that's me now! Watch what you're saying fella :paddle:

:bellyroll:

Actually I had a 98 A4 then my next two cars were both VW's so I guess I'm
not that much of a badge snob. I tend to go for what I think the most appealing car for the money is at the time.

LOL, just kidding mate, A4's are pretty good, have always like them in various models. I had an B5 A4, but that was a money pit.. Depends what's in at the time but these Golfs seem to tick all the boxes!

jeloz

VW4Life
Has the R been officially announced in AU as yet?
cheers
Jeloz

saad

Go Kart Champion
I really really really want one

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
honestly the way we customers get treated in OZ you'd think it was time for REVOLUTION

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Someone posted the Specifications & Options list on vwwc which may be of interest:

http://www.volkswagen.co.nz/publish...Opt_Sheet_Golf_GTI_and_Golf_R_MY10_1Jan10.pdf

I thought the engine would be the new TSI, not FSI as stated?

Looks like the racing buckets are only $1500 more than the leather option which isn't bad. Beats the 4k extra over the 3k option on the R32 for the Recaros.

If I read it correctly it looks like privacy glass is optional which i wouldn't get as it's too hard to match the front windows later without going real dark/illegal tints, also not worth $650.

Interesting too to see that XDS isn't standard on the R, hard to say if i'd opt for that as it could take some of the fun out of the car (and possibly not necessary on an AWD?).

Last edited:

n14sss

Passed Driver's Ed
Gday,

Could there be some truth in that the Golf R may come in as an entry level car (3dr, Manual) at under $50k. I have heard this from 2 different dealers now and a friend has preordered one and was told the same!....Looking at the NZ price list above, the relative GTI/R pricing does indicate this!...could this be so?

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
^ I have been told the same thing by my dealer...sub 50 + on roads....but it will remain to be seen I guess.

If your friend has pre-ordered surely he'd have an idea of what he's paying, would he not?

n14sss

Passed Driver's Ed
My mate has preordered so as to get in on the first shipment of cars due apparently in mid 2010. He hasnt been given an actual price, just the privilege of being one of the first to get the car. He was told though that the entry level R would be below $50k before ORC.

Independent of that, I was told similar information by another dealer...so heres hoping its true!....I wonder who else here has been told similar info?

That NZ price list above seems to confirm this if you apply relative pricing to our GTIs to the R.

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
My mate has preordered so as to get in on the first shipment of cars due apparently in mid 2010. He hasnt been given an actual price, just the privilege of being one of the first to get the car. He was told though that the entry level R would be below $50k before ORC.

Independent of that, I was told similar information by another dealer...so heres hoping its true!....I wonder who else here has been told similar info?

That NZ price list above seems to confirm this if you apply relative pricing to our GTIs to the R.

Don't quote me... but when I first asked my sales dude if the R20 was coming I told him of my presumption that it would be R32 price... he told me then it'd be cheaper than that and would be somewhere around 52-54 OTR... I think thats around a basic Pirelli price is it not?

TBH I didn't believe him...but now that others have been told similar maybe I was selling him short :iono:

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
Here is a short AUTOCAR review of the Volkswagen Golf 'R'.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Volkswagen-Golf-2.0-TSI-270-R/246100/

A little bit refined & understated ... yes. But fast nonetheless.
Basically a softer recloned Audi S3 with same motor.
Turbo ain't on boost until 2500 rpm as in the case of the Pirelli GTI, making for a bit more lag & less in-town drivability than the MK6 GTI which comes on boost at 1700 rpm.

Price looks to be line-ball with the outgoing R32. Two dealers have told me pricing will be about same as the R32, esp with import duty going down from 10% to 5% for passenger vehicles in 2010.

Cheers.
Wj