GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Very oil soaked motor

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Ever since I've had the car (about 10k miles ago) my motor has been very oil soaked. I don't seem to be consuming a lot as I only have to add maybe a quart sometimes two every 5k miles. I have a small leak out of my VC gasket but I know that's not all. Mainly the entire top of my Trans is covered in oil and dirt, but isn't really we, However I do have wetness on the bottom of the trans.

Thoughts? Is it possible for gear oil to be seeping out of the input shafts seal, running down the inside of the bellhousing, then dripping out of the inspection hole?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ever since I've had the car (about 10k miles ago) my motor has been very oil soaked. I don't seem to be consuming a lot as I only have to add maybe a quart sometimes two every 5k miles. I have a small leak out of my VC gasket but I know that's not all. Mainly the entire top of my Trans is covered in oil and dirt, but isn't really we, However I do have wetness on the bottom of the trans.

Thoughts? Is it possible for gear oil to be seeping out of the input shafts seal, running down the inside of the bellhousing, then dripping out of the inspection hole?

If you can get under the car just shine a good flashlight up the backside of the engine.... follow the oil to its origin. Valve covers oftens seep/leak and need new gaskets, vacuum pumps also lose seals, common. With a good flashlight you can trace it back pretty easy. The valve cover screws each have a rubber seal and on my car one of the seals split or didn't get put back on during some work and it was causing a leak that went down the back of the motor and collected/dripped from underneath motor.

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I have replaced the valve cover gasket but I think I didn't do it properly as I'm getting slight seepage out the rear over the heatshield area. I think the vacuum pump seal is the culprit of the oil on the trans

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have replaced the valve cover gasket but I think I didn't do it properly as I'm getting slight seepage out the rear over the heatshield area. I think the vacuum pump seal is the culprit of the oil on the trans

Yes there is a particular pattern the screws should be tightened down and only to spec (10nM = 7.3ftlb). Also look closely to see if there is any puddling in any of the valve cover screw tops (missing seal for screw). And the vacuum pump is common and expensive to replace, check with others to see if you can just do seals, I replaced the whole thing (few hundred) but tend to go with all new instead of seals etc (just me).

Leaking Vacuum Pump

Side of pump facing engine, where the big leak was. You can see the build up.

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yeah I tightened them in the right sequence to spec I just don't believe the gasket was seated properly. I'll be checking the vacuum pump