GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS battery diagnostics?

abraxas

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I've done some searching and haven't been able to definitively answer this one yet.

I think my car battery is on its way out - noticed some sluggish starts lately when the temps drop - and I was hoping to be able to dig up some diagnostic info via VCDS like you can apparently do with some Audis:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...uite-useful)?p=5902036&viewfull=1#post5902036

Unfortunately, the same blocks groups don't report in the GTI. I've poked around in VCDS as well as online and it's looking like maybe our cars don't report detailed battery info like that via the ECU. Can anyone answer for sure one way or the other?

I may just need to run by an auto parts store and have them test the battery that way, but was hoping to be able to do some preliminary diagnostics myself.

Thanks regardless for any info on this one.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I know I've seen battery voltage in one of the measuring blocks. I can't recall on top of my head.

nik

Go Kart Champion
Subbed. Would like to know as well! Although my polar FIS gives voltage. Would be curious to see if it gives anything else.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Just check the voltage of the battery with the engine off and with it on.

OFF : 12.6VDC
ON: 14.4VDC

Anything noticeably lower than those values, replace the battery. Checking the battery terminals is the most accurate reading you can get. No voltage discrepancy or resistor interference.

abraxas

Passed Driver's Ed
Appreciate all the quick replies. That block list is a nice resource - I'll be bookmarking that.

I did find the voltage readout in VCDS before. I was just hoping there might be additional battery/electrical-related diagnostics info in there somewhere. In any case, I'll plug up and see what voltage levels are with ignition on and off.

nik

Go Kart Champion
Just check the voltage of the battery with the engine off and with it on.

OFF : 12.6VDC
ON: 14.4VDC

Anything noticeably lower than those values, replace the battery. Checking the battery terminals is the most accurate reading you can get. No voltage discrepancy or resistor interference.

Mine was reading 10 yesterday on the FIS (albeit after a ridiculously cold night). Looks like GTI is getting a new battery.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk