GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USP Motorsports License Plate LEDs

A_Alexander19

Dub Life!
So I am currently looking to buy some license plate LEDs and the ones by USP Motorsports look pretty good. I can't find any reviews on these though and I don't want to buy them and then have to return them because they don't work.

Any Suggestions??

Here is a picture and the link.

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/CompleteLicensePlateLEDsGTI/Golf.html

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
They will work just way too bright. Been a few reviews on here before ,I can't remember where but there is a thread on here giving a part number for Porsche led unit that is made by Vw/Audi that us a straight swap with no coding and if not just do what most of us do and buy error free bulbs and replace them from your stock ones. I do also notice all the new audis here in Europe come with LEDs from house so there is defo oem options out there if that what you are looking for.

Corey U.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW for life
deautokey has a really good set of liscense plate LEDs, just a straight swap out and plenty bright. I bought the interior kit that comes with the liscense plate ones and I would highly recommend it if your looking to change those out as well.

A_Alexander19

Dub Life!
do the bulbs ever overheat and when you close the door do the dome lights go off completely or have a faint glow? just wondering because i tried a set of LEDs and they kept blowing the circuit. I would love to have all LEDs but it seems like they are hit or miss when it comes to the MK5.

ricewithsticks

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
do the bulbs ever overheat and when you close the door do the dome lights go off completely or have a faint glow? just wondering because i tried a set of LEDs and they kept blowing the circuit. I would love to have all LEDs but it seems like they are hit or miss when it comes to the MK5.

Just had one of the festoon LED bulbs for the license plate go out after a month or so. I'm guessing it overheated even though it had a heatsink on it. Not worth the worry of being pulled over so I put the stock filaments back in. Interested in the factory ones from VW if anyone has a link.
As for the faint glow in the interior, you need at least 1 CANBUS/"error-free" LED which has a built in resistor and the faint glow will be gone when the switch is in the 'door' position. I got these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=380761224351. Pretty good price for a pair shipped.

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV

Corey U.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW for life

Never had any issues with overheating and I'm not sure what you mean by faint glow but when i close the doors they turn off the same as factory bulbs, I have had these a couple months now as well.

RGTI6

deautokey has a really good set of liscense plate LEDs, just a straight swap out and plenty bright. I bought the interior kit that comes with the liscense plate ones and I would highly recommend it if your looking to change those out as well.

THIS! I just made a post about deautokey and their product. their full kit comes with license plate leds but they are not full housings. the full housings are very bright, i tried them before i switched to deautokey's full interior kit. here is the other post where they were talking about their leds:

Is this what you are talking about?

http://deautokey.com/product/14pc-complete-interior-license-plate-led-kit-error-free-fits-06-08-volkswagen-mk5-golf-gti

Description says 06-08 MKV GTI. Assuming these will work with 2009 MKV?

The listing itself says 06-09, and that is the one i purchased and it works great. They are amazing compared to some other ones I tried out. The main issue I ran into with other brands was the footwell lighting always looked odd and did not cover the entire footwell, deautokey's covers the entire footwell nicely and there is no color variation I guess you would call it, that I seen with other leds i installed in my footwell.

Their customer service is great, my footwell died on me but I think it was my fault as I pushed it in soo far that it caused a short, but they sent me a new one right away. And close to a year later no issues and still looks amazing, great people.

I would stay away from the first link, those leds in the glass with the round bulb look to them do not work or look good, plus it is a 9pc set, that was my first set i purchased before i knew all leds are different.

the $24.99 set you posted from ebay looks similar to some of the ones i got from deautokey but they do not include the license plate leds like deautokeys, i suggest if you go with that one, you purchase the license plates too, it really ties the car together.

Not sure, to me the extra $40 i spent with deautokey never bothered me, i knew the quality i was getting with them since so many people post pictures of their leds and they always look niiiice.

Because ECS buys them on eBay and marks them up.

OK that wasn't fair, but people aren't generally happy with the Ziza product line.

I paid something like $50 for the full interior + license plates set from deautokey.com and I've been very happy with them. Whenever i unlock my car at night someone asks me where i got them.

They were running a special at the time but they are still cheaper than ECS.

Since i was an early adopter i had a strange issue where the front domes (only front domes) failed - popped right off their bases. Like the solder melted. They sent me replacements that have been trouble-free. They even replaced both of my license plate LEDs when one of them failed after i got rear-ended.

I don't really condone their marketing practices or the tone of their advertisements, I think they're annoying as fuck frankly, but the product works and the customer service is hassle-free.

The major points of quality in white LEDs are how pure the white light is (e.g. whether there is a lot of blue showing through) and whether the resistors are the correct value to make CANbus happy.

I Can tell you that the white i get from the deautokey kit is very pure white with no hint of blue, and i have had no "bulb out" codes nor have i ever had that issue where all of them glow slightly unless i replace one of them with an incandescent. They work just like incandescents, just way the hell brighter.

ya, I think they are a bit excessive with ads but all companies really are now a days, a lot of competition. I almost went with ziza leds until i saw deautokey's vortex post and then great feedback. I figured for less money than ecstuning i could not say no.. their damn advertisements also got me to purchase their cree led reverse:
http://deautokey.com/product/led-reverse-volkswagen-mk4-mk5-jetta-gti-golf-super-bright-pure-white

but these are worth every penny, bright as heck and no errors.

i want to purchase their front turn signals, is it worth it though, has anyone tried them???:
http://www.deautokey.com/product/golf-gti-mk6-golf-r-euro-taillight-turn-signal-amber-no-error

and these are for the mk6 and the bulb is h16, will they fit my mk5 gti:
http://www.deautokey.com/product/golf-gti-mk6-turn-signals-error-free-osram-h16