GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade to RNS510 Nav radio, is it that simple?

Menower

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi folks, I drive a 2012 MK6 w/ sunroof, and if I am not mistaken the radio which came with it is an RNS315. Below YT video shows a fairly simple process to upgrade to an RNS510

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT7X-4L-UU8

1- Is the upgrade that simple?
2- Any known issues with the GPS module affixed above the vent dock?
3- Any VCDS coding needed?

Anyone who's done the upgrade, kindly share the ins and outs, thanks!!

afctom

Ready to race!
1 - Yes
2 - You should already have a factory fitted GPS Shark Fin as your radio is the RNS 315 Nav. If it is not the case that your stock radio is a 315 - Then no, there are no issues mounting the GPS unit in that location.
3 - No if stock 315. Yes if not - need to let the car know you're running a nav unit - in order for directions to pop up on MFD and integrate properly.

cobie56

Ready to race!
I understood that the speed and lag time of the 510 is worse than the 315. Was i mis informed?

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Generally that is the case, but it's really based on which revision you purchase. Each RNS-510 has a letter at the end of the part number that denotes revision. Any of the older ones will definitely be on the slower side. The newer models use SSDs that make things boot and move a little faster.

I personally run a Rev. B in my car and it works fine. Just takes a minute or two to warm up and respond when I start the car.

Menower

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have Nav, so it's 315 only, and my Bluetooth module is underneath the passenger seat.
1- The reason I mentioned VCSD, I read on some other threads that the Compass needs to be disabled in order for the Nav to work properly...any comments?
2- There is a code for when the radio is first installed, is it provided by the seller?
3- Which part on the radio reference the Rev letter?

Last edited:

Menower

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, I'm super shocked about the price ranges...V-Dubb just told me part # 3C0 035 684 is selling for $3929.00...my face when I was told the $$ = -__-
And ebay, prices range from $2500 ish all the way down to $500...any clarification/tips are appreciated!

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I don't have Nav, so it's 315 only, and my Bluetooth module is underneath the passenger seat.

Part of your mod will depend on which module you have. The 9w3s I'm not sure have full compatibility for the RNS-510, so you might have to swap it for a 9w7 unit. You do not have a 315 though, that is only a part number for navigations. You most likely have an RCD-510, which is just a touchscreen radio. Since you don't have nav, you'll also need an aftermarket GPS antenna to receive signal. Lastly, you may need a new wiring cable to connect your bluetooth, microphone, and nav. I'm not exactly sure how it's wired in your car, as I had an RNS-315 to begin with.

1- The reason I mentioned VCSD, I read on some other threads that the Compass needs to be disabled in order for the Nav to work properly...any comments?

Yes, the compass will need to be disabled as there is an internal one in the 510. I can't remember if it has to be done via VAGcom, or if it needs to be physically disconnected. If it's physical, then the module is in the headliner in your trunk. There are some DIYs around on getting in there and disconnecting it.

2- There is a code for when the radio is first installed, is it provided by the seller?

You would have to check with the seller, but typically the code is provided.

3- Which part on the radio reference the Rev letter?[/QUOTE]

If you look at the part number on the back of any RNS-510, there will be a sticker with a barcode that says the part number "3C0 035 684" (or whatever the part number is) and then a letter. The letter at the end denotes revision. Typically, later revisions (G, H, K, etc.) are much more expensive. They also have a couple extra features such as Sirius Travel Link availability. It's up to you if you want those things.

Last edited:

Menower

Passed Driver's Ed

Part of your mod will depend on which module you have. The 9w3s I'm not sure have full compatibility for the RNS-510, so you might have to swap it for a 9w7 unit. You do not have a 315 though, that is only a part number for navigations. You most likely have an RCD-510, which is just a touchscreen radio. Since you don't have nav, you'll also need an aftermarket GPS antenna to receive signal. Lastly, you may need a new wiring cable to connect your bluetooth, microphone, and nav. I'm not exactly sure how it's wired in your car, as I had an RNS-315 to begin with.

Yes, the compass will need to be disabled as there is an internal one in the 510. I can't remember if it has to be done via VAGcom, or if it needs to be physically disconnected. If it's physical, then the module is in the headliner in your trunk. There are some DIYs around on getting in there and disconnecting it.

You would have to check with the seller, but typically the code is provided.

3- Which part on the radio reference the Rev letter?

If you look at the part number on the back of any RNS-510, there will be a sticker with a barcode that says the part number "3C0 035 684" (or whatever the part number is) and then a letter. The letter at the end denotes revision. Typically, later revisions (G, H, K, etc.) are much more expensive. They also have a couple extra features such as Sirius Travel Link availability. It's up to you if you want those things.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated, Ill probably find out the hard way about whether the BT mod is compatible or not, I believe people seen issues where there was no BT mod at all, meaning it was integrated...

fastmk6

Ready to race!
The compass is disconnected physically. Pop the rear upper trim off and its velcro'd to the roof under the headliner. Pull it down and unplug it.

fastmk6

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated, Ill probably find out the hard way about whether the BT mod is compatible or not, I believe people seen issues where there was no BT mod at all, meaning it was integrated...

Look under your passenger seat. Small module covered in styrofoam. If its there, you have bluetooth. Pull it out and google the part number for which revision it is. I think the only integrated BT was with the RNS315, and since you don't have Nav currently you don't have that radio.

GTIROCKet

Ready to race!
Hi folks, I drive a 2012 MK6 w/ sunroof, and if I am not mistaken the radio which came with it is an RNS315. Below YT video shows a fairly simple process to upgrade to an RNS510

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT7X-4L-UU8

1- Is the upgrade that simple?
2- Any known issues with the GPS module affixed above the vent dock?
3- Any VCDS coding needed?

Anyone who's done the upgrade, kindly share the ins and outs, thanks!!

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/325876...f-1449788719211-01806-ENjUBzea&aff_platform=y

I bought this over the rns and love it, it's literally an android tablet retro fitted for perfect fitment. It took two weeks to come in, comes with a trim tool to make it easy to pop off dash trim.

Menower

Passed Driver's Ed

GTIROCKet

Ready to race!
Interesting concept, now the complex part of it, how extensive is the install? wiring? compatibility? any Vagcom coding needed...etc, let us know what it took to get it done :)

4 screws that take out ur original radio, and it has built in canbus no coding necessary, easiest install ever it's all plug and play, it can hook up to ur personal hot spot on ur phone to have Internet. I personally have a 2 year old and on longer trips hook it up and Netflix while I'm rolling down the highway keeping the little one satisfied