GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Un-Knowledgeable Sales People

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
That's what bugged me back in '06 when I sold cars. My co-workers knew absolutely nothing.

The salesman that sold me the GTI knew how to use the radio but couldn't figure how to use Navi. Had almost no knowledge about the car itself. Lucky for him I had pretty much already sold myself on the car, he just became the peon between me and his sales manager. Then the floor manager stepped in.

I think the GTI was the last car I'll buy from the showroom. Internet sales is far less frustrating.

Eddd

Ready to race!
the salesman I had was saying how vw's doors are very well made.
He then opened the passenger door and climbed on it with his 160lbs weight like this.

Oh,, and he was playing with the dsg launch control for a few times, but I didn't get to play it ):

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I guess I'm lucky. The salesperson I worked with worked at that dealership for 16 years, and was extremely knowledgeable. I went in there knowing basically everything about the car, and he did not tell me a single thing that was not true. I had asked him questions about the competition and such, and I was very impressed with how knowledgeable he was. Finally, the dealership doesn't put any of those annoying badges/stickers on the cars they sell, that's good. The service department is also very knowledgeable, and the people who work there have been there for 15+ years. The place doesn't have a modern showroom, or a nicely-decorated service center office, but the people there are very knowledgeable.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The place doesn't have a modern showroom, or a nicely-decorated service center office, but the people there are very knowledgeable.

Those are the best places to buy. Lower overhead.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Those are the best places to buy. Lower overhead.

Completely agree. It's a genuinely "car friendly" place for sure. Smithtown VW. After I picked the car up from the 30-day checkup, I had spent almost 15 minutes just talking with the service guy there about maintenance and care for the car. They don't just go with VW's 10,000 mile service schedule, in fact, they recommend against it. I know about this, and I'm quite impressed that they know so much over there.

snowsled

Ready to race!
The non fancy dealers eventually are forced onto upgrading facilities by the parent companies. It is an image thing, their time will come unfortunately.

Not following VW service reccomendations and, advising customers against following them is fear mongering designed to get you to spend more in their service dept. VW service intervals are more than adequate for the car.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I didn't buy my car at the traditional dealer, but when I took mine into a dealer for an alignment I shot the shit with a really knowledgeable salesman. He knew about the chain tensioner issues on the TSI, the vvt, manual clutch limitations, all that detailed kind of stuff you learn from forums. Sounds like he studies press releases, too, as he knew a lot about the mk7 which at the time had just been announced for Europe.

butchered by autocorrecr

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
In December 2011, when I was torn between a GTI and a WRX, I went to the VW dealership to test drive a GTI with DSG. The sales associate flat out told me that it had an automatic transmission, but no DSG. Rather than slapping my forehead in front of him, I thanked him for his time, said he didn't have anything I was interested in, then drove to the Subaru dealership.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
The non fancy dealers eventually are forced onto upgrading facilities by the parent companies. It is an image thing, their time will come unfortunately.

Not following VW service reccomendations and, advising customers against following them is fear mongering designed to get you to spend more in their service dept. VW service intervals are more than adequate for the car.

For example, I will be changing the oil and the filter every 5,000 miles; they VW recommends you do it every 10,000 miles.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
Yea they seem to spend much more time learning about the infotainment and a lot of superficial stuff nowadays because frankly, that's what most people buying cars now care about.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Yea they seem to spend much more time learning about the infotainment and a lot of superficial stuff nowadays because frankly, that's what most people buying cars now care about.

There is some truth to that statement

When I was buying my GTI the R was in the show room
I looked at the R engine I said it looks similar to the MK5 FSI, is it an FSI or TSI?

She said they are the exact same

Fingolfin

Ready to race!
I remember me and my wife mentioning one reason we were interested is because of the fuel efficiency and the sales guy said we'd get 700 miles on a tank.

MisaelMk6

Ready to race!
My car salesman was pretty chill sounded like George Lopez lol he knew what he was talking about he had a nice cc dropped on h&r ultra lows looked nice he had told me he previously owned a mk4 gli and regretted selling it. As i first approached the dealer i didn't think i would purchased nor seem serious i was "looking around" but i went to look at a gti or gli. He showed me Gti's and i fell in love with a carbon steel gray one unfortunately at that moment i wasn't ready to drop the money because i went to look. He told me if you don't get it this car will be sold tomorrow, i was thinking bs usual car salesman trying to pressure me into it. So i went home to think about it i call the next afternoon to ask if is still available and he was like I'm sorry we sold it this morning like fuck really ?!! :( So i was like if u find any the same let me know. He calls me 30 mins later saying they getting one tomorrow i didn't even hesitate said i will be there to see it. Showed up with a cousin my cousin is a vw enthusiast as well. So the Salesman is showing us the car and my cousin puts the seats down in the back opens the trunk and he was like dam this is perfect and me and the salesman were like what is perfect? My cousin was like you can fuck in here lmfao:bellyroll: we couldn't stop laughing so at the end of the day i got a good deal and really funny car salesman that kept bribing me by saying you can fuck in the trunk lol had a good experience.

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
That is awesome Misael,

For those of you that have test drove the WRX and STI; when the 2008 model first hit our shores in 2007, I went to test drive one, and they told me "Sure, but you need to put $3000 down just in case anything happens".

Excuse me? I've test driven Audi's and BMW's (just for fun lol), and he wanted $3k to drive a damn Subaru . . .

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
Also, when I went to purchase my last car (2006 Scion tC), the salesman pitched it to me at $18,500. It was a baseline tC with no options, 1 year old, and 40,000 miles on it. I literally laughed at him and told him he needs to do a lot better. He walked in, and came out saying $17,500. I told him that he's still $500 over MSRP when the car was new. Then told him I'd give him $14,000 for the car after tax and my $2000 trade in, not a penny more, and I'd see him in a week.

A week later I walked in, and the bastard sold me the car for $14,001...