uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Turning off transponders (and against international rules) is a real bad idea and isn't necessary. If they have a flight plan and pay overflight fees then they can fly. Annex 2 Front.cdr (icao.int)

I've been watching plenty of UK, USA, German, French etc military aircraft doing this since the war started...one minute they are flying over the land & towards the sea..the next they vanish from Flight Radar...

Or whats even funnier is when they suddenly reappear back over the North sea...

TricycleOfDeath

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Bulgaria??.....

NATO map & I've drawn one flight path through Russia..& one straight across other non-NATO countries......like I say Bulgaria (pro-Russian) is the minimum hurdle..(capital Sofia marked on map at this zoom level).

Only other wat is long & across the Med, up the Adriatic & nip across a non-NATO country there..

View attachment 245492
Okay, yes - looks like Bulgaria was, in fact, the country the Chinese Y20's did fly over. That said, if I was Serbia, I wouldn't A) trust Chinese weapons that had any electronic connections to the internet, and B) would be careful about buying Chinese weapons if I truly wanted entry into the EU and possibly NATO. As an aside, looking at this map, I'm reminded of how absolutely massive Kazakhstan is and the fact that we don't hear too much in the news about the country.

Last edited:

TricycleOfDeath

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Plus they would lose a boatload of viewers.
They said the same thing when Loofah Loverboy himself, Billy O'Reilly, was fired... and then Tucker stepped in out of seeming obscurity at Fox News. As big a right wing d-bag as O'Reilly was, I think even his Harvard educated arse would have had a difficult time repeating all the lies coming out of the Trump White House. There's a person in that "other thread" that reminds me of Tucker Carlson... he likes to pretend he's an Independent Libertarian and "thinks for himself" and blah, blah, blah, but his viewpoints just ALWAYS seem to align with Republican ideology... kinda like that other s-head senator from Kentucky that we all love to hate... Rand Paul. I can sympathize with his neighbor.

Reactions: WAP

TricycleOfDeath

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7
I'm not defending Fox News, but they've never been about international news coverage from a boots on the ground perspective. Fox news is basically The View for news. They don't really create news so much as discuss current events. CNN has always done that and the reason for that is that it's great for views. Something they desperately need with the current downward slide they've been on lately as well as the failure of their recently launched CNN subscription service.
Okay, CNN + aside... and I love CNN, but am like WTF with CNN +. That aside, I don't think CNN is on any "downward slide." If you listen to Fox regularly, you'd believe that CNN went bankrupt a decade ago. Also, yes, Fox News is a propaganda channel, but it still retains the "News" word in its name. Also, plenty of dumb Republicans like to be spoon fed their daily dose of "Go Brandon" political propaganda.

Btw, Fox loves to criticize CNN as "left wing Democrats," and while they definitely favor the Democrats over the anti-democracy traitors in the Republican Party, don't forget that they absolutely HAMMERED Joe Biden on the exit from Afghanistan. Nobody at CNN really was defending the Biden admin on that mess. So, CNN *does* absolutely cover things objectively... unlike Fox, which is the Ostrich News Network... burying its head in the dirt in order to avoid having to report on all of the disasterous messes that were occurring on an daily basis in the Trump Whitehouse. Bad News on COVID deaths... let's do a bunch of hit pieces on gay pride parades. January 6th insurrection??? No, that was possibly Antifa (a non-group "group" that only exists in conservative minds)... but Antifa, in order to disguise itself, was dressed in all Trump attire carrying Trump signs and beating up the press. The Mueller Report... who dafuq is Mueller? Ex FBI war hero... nah, just a closeted super liberal that has a secret agenda against Trump... so we're not going to cover the report of the over dozen people in the Trump orbit that were later indicted in relation to the Mueller investigation.

Fox News is an absolute joke and is a danger to national security IMHO.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just in again..(repeat)

Ukraine War: Russia warns Sweden and Finland against Nato membership - BBC News

QUOTE:-
Russia has warned Finland and Sweden against joining Nato, arguing the move would not bring stability to Europe.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that "the alliance remains a tool geared towards confrontation".
Mr Peskov warned the bloc "is not that kind of alliance which ensures peace and stability, and its further expansion will not bring additional security to the European continent". Last week Mr Peskov said that Russia would have to "rebalance the situation" with its own measures were Sweden and Finland to join Nato.
And in February Maria Zakharova, Russia's foreign ministry spokeswoman, warned of "military and political consequences" if the countries joined the bloc.

Finnish MPs are expected to receive a security report from intelligence officials this week, and Prime Minister Sanna Marin said she expects her government "will end the discussion before midsummer" on whether to make a membership application.
Finland shares a 1,340km (830 miles) long border with Russia and has been rattled by the invasion of Ukraine.

And Sweden's ruling Social Democratic party, which has traditionally opposed Nato membership, said it is rethinking this position in light of Russia's attack on its western neighbour. Party secretary Tobias Baudin told local media that the Nato review should be complete within the next few months.
"When Russia invaded Ukraine, Sweden's security position changed fundamentally," the party said in a statement on Monday.

On Monday, army leaders in Helsinki announced a new plan to allocate €14m (£10.88m) to purchase drones for Finland's military.
And last month Swedish officials said they would boost defence spending by three billion kronas ($317m; £243m) in 2022.

END QUOTE

So Russia "NATO is a threat".....basically all along Russia wants to be top dog...Ukraine was moving upwards & being democratic ...so it decided to raze it to the ground & scatter its peoples to the four corners of the globe.

Now its imposing on other sovereign countries & stating that they cannot join NATO.....hypocrite & playground bully boy tactics....

I wonder how Putin will convince his followers that Finland & Sweden are threats & they need to be invaded??...... :unsure:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just in again..(repeat)

Russia has warned Finland and Sweden against joining Nato, arguing the move would not bring stability to Europe.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that "the alliance remains a tool geared towards confrontation".
Mr Peskov warned the bloc "is not that kind of alliance which ensures peace and stability, and its further expansion will not bring additional security to the European continent". Last week Mr Peskov said that Russia would have to "rebalance the situation" with its own measures were Sweden and Finland to join Nato.
And in February Maria Zakharova, Russia's foreign ministry spokeswoman, warned of "military and political consequences" if the countries joined the bloc.

Finnish MPs are expected to receive a security report from intelligence officials this week, and Prime Minister Sanna Marin said she expects her government "will end the discussion before midsummer" on whether to make a membership application.
Finland shares a 1,340km (830 miles) long border with Russia and has been rattled by the invasion of Ukraine.

And Sweden's ruling Social Democratic party, which has traditionally opposed Nato membership, said it is rethinking this position in light of Russia's attack on its western neighbour. Party secretary Tobias Baudin told local media that the Nato review should be complete within the next few months.
"When Russia invaded Ukraine, Sweden's security position changed fundamentally," the party said in a statement on Monday.

On Monday, army leaders in Helsinki announced a new plan to allocate €14m (£10.88m) to purchase drones for Finland's military.
And last month Swedish officials said they would boost defence spending by three billion kronas ($317m; £243m) in 2022.

END QUOTE

So Russia "NATO is a threat".....basically all along Russia wants to be top dog...Ukraine was moving upwards & being democratic ...so it decided to raze it to the ground & scatter its peoples to the four corners of the globe.

Now its imposing on other sovereign countries & stating that they cannot join NATO.....hypocrite & playground bully boy tactics....

I wonder how Putin will convince his followers that Finland & Sweden are threats & they need to be invaded??...... :unsure:
Space nazis?

TricycleOfDeath

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Judging by Russia's performance in Ukraine, a country that shares a direct border with them, I'm finding it hard to believe that Russia could project a very serious threat to Sweden and Finland. As I recall, the Fins gave the Soviet's about all they could handle during WWII. Obviously Putin does not want Finland in NATO, given the direct border it shares with Finland, but what's Putin gonna do... nuke them? If anything, Putin's belligerence towards Sweden and Finland should only further encourage them of their need to join NATO.

cb1111

Just in again..(repeat)

END QUOTE

Typical Soviet negotiations

Make outlandish demands
Make threats
Don't back down

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't want a network that creates the news. I want a network that presents the news without an opinion.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Does Russia not even have flushing toilets? They all just shit outside?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
CNN isn't much better than Fox. imo Anderson Cooper is almost as hard to watch as Tucker Carlson. All they care about is insulting the other side, and they only serve to divide us. Just like american politics, your options are conservative white man, or very slightly less conservative white man and they both hate each other claiming they are at either extreme.

Anyways, for ukraine, I think my preferred news for it has been the German network DW News. imo they've done a pretty good job at just presenting the facts and reporting on them.