GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

TricycleOfDeath

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7
CNN isn't much better than Fox. imo Anderson Cooper is almost as hard to watch as Tucker Carlson. All they care about is insulting the other side, and they only serve to divide us. Just like american politics, your options are conservative white man, or very slightly less conservative white man and they both hate each other claiming they are at either extreme.

Anyways, for ukraine, I think my preferred news for it has been the German network DW News. imo they've done a pretty good job at just presenting the facts and reporting on them.

That is absolutely ridiculous. Fox News is propaganda. Anderson is one of the straightest shooting reporters out there. Yes, his views seem liberal and he's gay, but he is a Vanderbilt, as well. Fox News is a joke - they spent 4 years supporting Trump's lies and misinformation on Ukraine. They did not hold Trump accountable - ever. CNN does attack Democratic Presidents on a regular basis... you'll find no such similarity at Fox. So, it's total BS to claim "they both do it." They don't both do it - Fox is propaganda entertainment.

Here's an ex:

Fox News correspondent Benjamin Hall pushed back on Tuesday after Fox News host Greg Gutfeld accused news outlets of airing emotionally manipulative footage from Ukraine in an effort to advance a pro-war narrative.

“Speaking as someone on the ground, I want to say that this is not the media trying to drum up some emotional response,” Hall flatly stated, delivering a live report from Kyiv.

The remarks that touched off Hall’s response, meanwhile, took place moments earlier on Fox News’ highly rated talk show The Five. During a discussion on Russia targeting Ukrainian civilians in its unprovoked war on Ukraine, Gutfeld delivered a lengthy rant in which he questioned the news media’s coverage of the growing crisis.

“I can feel the galvanizing force of these stories that kind of have sped up and are accumulating to create a narrative,” the Fox News host said. “And they only go in one direction. And I understand why they only go in one direction, because it’s the invaded who experience the atrocity, right? And that’s all we’re going to see.”

He added: “However, I can’t help but feel that this is a lot like other stories that we’ve gone through in the digital age in which an image is taken and then played over and over and over again to create some kind of emotional response out of you, because that makes a profit for news companies, right?”

After going off on a tangent about the media “pummelling” the public with images of police brutality, Gutfeld then continued to accuse the media of showing horrific images and footage of the Ukrainian war to serve a specific agenda.

“The bad part is there is this galvanizing kind of narrative that is there to create a reaction, and if somebody like me says, ‘hold on a second,’ and you try to counter the drumbeat, you’re seen as an inconsiderate cold-hearted pussy,” he exclaimed. “But if you amplify that story, why can’t up you be called pro-war? If you want to push this stuff, why can’t I call you pro-war?!”

Following a commercial break, the program turned to Hall to report on the latest developments in the nearly two-week war. And the network's State Department correspondent immediately took issue with Gutfeld’s remarks.

After saying the media is not “trying to drum up some emotional response,” Hall then noted that the footage that reporters on the scene are showing is “absolutely what’s happening” in the war-torn cities in Ukraine. Hall also noted that more than two million Ukrainians have fled the country.

“It’s an absolute catastrophe and the people caught in the middle are the ones suffering,” he continued. “Don’t take it from my word take it from the word of some of those trying to flee.”

After airing testimony from Ukrainian refugees, Hall added that it's a “tragic thing that is happening in this country” and “there is more video that we know what to do with” before telling his Fox News colleagues that “we will continue to cover it for you here on the ground but it is only set to get worse.”

At the end of the segment, Gutfeld addressed Hall’s criticism of his remarks, attempting a bit of sarcasm at first.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Does Russia not even have flushing toilets? They all just shit outside?
Low flow toilets. Can't even flush the TP as the sewer cannot handle.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Are you suggesting that NPR "talking heads" have some type of agenda? What "talking heads" are you even referring to at NPR? NPR is about as straight as they come - across the board.
Talking heads as a term for people stating opinions of the facts instead of just the facts themselves.

You are correct in that they report straight facts, but on occasion their experts have a bias which when heard in a certain context comes off as fact instead of their perceptions of reality.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are you suggesting that NPR "talking heads" have some type of agenda? What "talking heads" are you even referring to at NPR? NPR is about as straight as they come - across the board.
Exactly. They go out of their way to remain neutral and allow multiple views.

You could make a case for some story selection bias, but that's about it.

They don't have "talking heads".

Last edited:

TricycleOfDeath

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7
I know you're the new guy, but this isn't the thread for this discussion
Well, come on. You need to have flexibility in a thread to keep it interesting. And the biased reporting from Fox News has a direct relationship to the Republican Party's much higher support of Russia and much lower support of Ukraine vs Democrats, for example. How can you argue that news media coverage in the United States, and in Russia for that matter, is not part of the story on the war in Ukraine?

Fox News has become propaganda, and none other than the Kremlin uses direct clips from Tucker Carlson's top-rated prime time show on Fox to promote their own political anti-Ukraine and anti-NATO agenda. Tucker Carlson has become a useful idiot for the Kremlin! How is that not related to the story???

The Fox News primetime host Tucker Carlson has been widely accused of echoing Russian propaganda about the invasion of Ukraine. According to a report on Sunday, earlier this month the Putin regime in Moscow sent out an instruction to friendly media outlets: use more clips of Carlson.

Mother Jones, a progressive magazine, said it had obtained memos produced by the Russian department of information and telecommunications support.

One document, it said, was entitled “For Media and Commentators (recommendations for coverage of events as of 03.03)”, or 3 March. The magazine published pictures of the memo, which it said it was given by “a contributor to a national Russian media outlet who asked not to be identified”.

It said the memo included an instruction: “It is essential to use as much as possible fragments of broadcasts of the popular Fox News host Tucker Carlson, who sharply criticises the actions of the United States [and] Nato, their negative role in unleashing the conflict in Ukraine, [and] the defiantly provocative behavior from the leadership of the eastern countries and Nato towards the Russian Federation and towards President Putin, personally.”

The document, Mother Jones said, summed up Carlson’s position on the Ukraine war as “Russia is only protecting its interests and security” and included a quote: “And how would the US behave if such a situation developed in neighbouring Mexico or Canada?”

Last edited: