GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TX front license plates no longer required!

mach5

you are next
Just FYI...this does not work in Lewisville. Been there tried that. I bought my last car from out of state ( in a state that doesn't require a front plate), so the car did not come equipped with the pre-drilled holes or the bracket. My husband and I tried explaining this to the officer, and told him we had the extra plate in the car. He still wrote us a ticket.

It was a fix it ticket, but still we received the ticket.

My GTI currently has no mounting on the front either, and I bought here locallu, so we'll see what happens.

I guess it just depends on the officer that pulls you over. Both times I was pulled over I was just told, "be sure to put it back on when you can"...once in Houston and the other time by a state trooper on highway 7 just outside of Crockett. Actually, now that I think about it there was a third time...about a year ago in Nacogdoches after leaving a frat party (same thing...looking for drunk/underage drinkers/drivers)

The facts is, though, that it is illegal to not have a front plate. I knew this when I took mine off, I also knew that I can get pulled over for it and that I can very well get a ticket for it. If you don't want to put your front plate on your car, just know that you run the risk of being more likely to be pulled over. Especially if you are doing something else illegal...like just 6 over the limit....when they normally will not even care.

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The Title got my my hopes up and now they are crushed, thanks a lot lol.

Neon Guy

Tin Can Racer
Car(s)
1998 SPEC Neon
The Title got my my hopes up and now they are crushed, thanks a lot lol.

Just trying to help save some heartache.

The Front Plate Ticket is easily dismissable... ever heard of plastic zip ties?

TXTGTI

Ready to race!
I've been keeping an eye out and if you really look, I'd say a good 25% of cars dont have front plates. Especially the nicer ones.

humphnor

Front license plate is still required

So I did some research on LexisNexis (Legal DB)
The license plate is required by law. This has not changed. However the placement is not specific to the front bumper. In one case the judge supressed the search of a car due to the number plate being visible in the front window.

"Moreover, the officers were unable to stop the vehicle for lack of a license plate on the front bumper. Tex. Transp. Code Ann. § 502.404(a) (1999) did not specifically require the display of the license plate on the front bumper. The officers could have seen the license plate, which was in the windshield area." the case is State v. Losoya, 128 S.W.3d 413.

I am not an attourney and I only post this to help you guys out. Please seek the advise of an attourney before using this argument in a court of law or when speaking with the police.

boostaholic

fast attack
Car(s)
07 Tornado Red GTI
Just thought I'd put this theory to rest...

Tuesday afternoon I got pulled over by a Texas State Trooper for no front plate, luckily he only issued me a warning. So, short story even shorter, a front plate is STILL REQUIRED.