GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tune questions

Jake17

Car(s)
GTI, Cruze RS
Hey guys, I have a 2008 GTI, I’m not sure which tuning company I go with for stage 1, Unitronic or IE? Any tips are appreciated.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
If only ever going to use a tune for the stock turbo...I say use either. But if your 2008's engine is the 2.0t FSI-EA113, and you may be thinking to try a K04 one day, then I would suggest you select only Unitronic. I say this because Unitronic has a K04 tune for the 2.0t FSI-EA113 and IE doesn't. Typically, you get a deal when doing a tune upgrade with the same tuner and this will save you $$$ down the road. Both Uni and Ie have a K04 tune for the 2.0t TSI-EA888. I can add that mine, when GIAC stage 1 tuned, was beating APR stage 2 cars at the 1/4mi track...mine with just a drop-in OE location performance air filter and APR stage 2 has intake and down-pipe or full turbo-back. It is now GIAC High Output K04 tuned. Authorized dealer location in relation to your location is key. If you have a United Motorsport authorized tuner/dealer nearby...you may think to be tuned by them. So to have it tuned to the most efficient performance per your car, rather than a shelf tune meant to work well with any car.

Last edited:

ChrisMKVGTI

Car(s)
MK5 GTI
All I know is that APR would probably be your best option regardless, I've read that they are who tunes VW's pro cars and all. They have every spec right there with the VW engineers. That being said just "stage 1" any company would be pretty equal. Along with that if you want a direct answer between Uni- and IE, I say Unitronic.