GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Intake Manifold Removal DIY + Valve Cleaning

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Take the oil filter off and unplug the sensor behind it. If the manifold is loose pull it from the sides back and forth. The injector seals will put up alot more of a fight than you'd expect. Once it lets go unplug the injectors that stay in the manifold and pull out of the head.

Also your going to need to replace the injector seals, I made a DIY about it in the 2.0 engine forum.

cougercruiser

Great, got it off. One of the injectors came with it. Can I buy the injector seals at a local auto shop??? Or this a dealer only thing?

One more note, this whole process of removing the fuel injector rail off with the intake manifold could have been completely avoided. I'm going to post up later how to remove the manifold while leaving the fuel injectors and railing in place.

cougercruiser

The bottom right stud to the fuel rail broke. I must have overtightened the 11mm nut. Now I need to replace the stud.... I wonder if I can find a similar stud at my local hardware store.

chc29

Ready to race!
started this DIY today, got the manifold out but one of the tiny red plastic knobs (?) of the splitter broke off :(

Anyone know the part number for that?

Stole this pic from vwvortex but it's one of those red knobs

<

Last edited:

cougercruiser

I honestly don't think those nobs are necessary. One of mine was broken off as well, just put it back in place and everything is working fine. Rationally, the intake manifold presses up against it and it has no room to move up and down because those slots you slide them into are ass tight. Where is it gonna go???

chc29

Ready to race!
That's true, I did end up putting it back in (twss?), but I was/is semi paranoid about the knob fitting into the gasket and now there's a void.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Many thanks to steelcurtain for the write up and answering my questions!

Got my manifold off today, 49K on the car, about 40K stage 2.

One injector came out with the manifold(looks dirty/clogged?!).

My new manifold came yesterday, too bad UPS broke one of the tabs. Hoping my replacement makes it by the weekend...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Why didn't use your warrantee?

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
Great, got it off. One of the injectors came with it. Can I buy the injector seals at a local auto shop??? Or this a dealer only thing?

One more note, this whole process of removing the fuel injector rail off with the intake manifold could have been completely avoided. I'm going to post up later how to remove the manifold while leaving the fuel injectors and railing in place.

Care to elaborate on this post? I know it's an old post but I'm 3k miles away from doing this

Kyle_m

A couple of questions, are you guys buying gasket kits for the reassemble? Or just reusing the orig gaskets (I have 74K)? Also are you doing any additive treatments (BG or seafoam) a week prior to lessen he amount of elbow grease needed?