Trading in 2012 gti autobahn for Scion FR-S

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
How fast is a car with 1000hp and 1 tq?

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
1)
GTI+swaybars+DG springs will out-turn a stock FRS/BRZ on a track
You can throw in springs/swaybars on the FRS, but it wont have the power to pull through as quickly as the GTI will

2)
dont even think about racing in a straight line. you will get destroyed by a GTI. plus, the cars are in a COMPLETELY different category

3)
if you are gonna get the auto, you might as well move the gears into place by hand. it's the slushiest of all slushboxes

4)
seriously speaking, how often are you going to even track the car?
how often will you be taking corners at 60mph on the streets, with other cars, civilians, cops.

5)
wait for a BRZ STI
Itll most likely come with the 2.5 that the current STI comes with. that will be a nice car.
but itll most likely cost you around 35-40k

6)
even if the BRZ STI is available, id take a gen1 miata over the BRZ.
cheaper parts
has more aftermarket than you can imagine
great track platform
cheap to maintain
lightweight, which means you can supercharge it and drive around like a damn go-kart

now im not saying the BRZ is a bad car. it's an awesome car. but for the price, i dont think it's worth it. at least not for me.

Last edited:

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365733208.398184.jpg

No kids or need for a backseat ?

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
OP, as many people on this forum have, I've tracked my GTI. While the feel of the FWD will never match RWD, the GTI does hold its own. Mine is currently Stage 2+ and I did not have any issue with putting the power down to the ground, nor with understeer. Practice trail-braking and be gentle with the throttle and the GTI will give you a great combination of a practical everyday car and occasional recreational "track car". :thumbup: Of course, there is no magical solution. If you're looking for a RWD car with RWD car attributes, then you are simply on the wrong forum. However, I'd look at an E46 M3, a particular soft spot of mine :D

Anyway, good luck with your dilemma! Sorry if I sound cheesy, but if you're not content with the GTI, listen to your inner boy-racer and get the car you want. Cheers! :drinking:

Edit: I'm exaggerating when I say no understeer; there is some, but not nearly as much as some people make it.

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
wow, you guys are tripping balls on this thread. 5 pages? "guys im tired of my GTI and im getting a scion race car."

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2022 GTI SE
The fanboism on this site is maddening at times.

1)
GTI+swaybars+DG springs will out-turn a stock FRS/BRZ on a track.

You're off your rocker. NOT EVEN CLOSE. A stage 1 GTI is substantially faster in a straight line, and that will help lap times like crazy. But out turn? You either don't know how to drive or haven't driven an FR-S. I have Bilsteins, DG springs, sways, and my friend's stock suspension FR-S is in a whole other handling league. Way stiffer chassis, lighter, more maneuverable, RWD, balanced, limited slip. The GTI's handling is crap in comparison.

wait for a BRZ STI
Itll most likely come with the 2.5 that the current STI comes with. that will be a nice car.
but itll most likely cost you around 35-40k

Wrong again. That is the old engine architecture and is way too tall to fit under the hood of a BRZ. The new engines are shorter and permit the car to have a much lower CG. Subaru is going back to it's two liter turbo revver roots. Look at the info trickling in on the new WRX.

mattley crue1

Ready to race!

You're off your rocker. NOT EVEN CLOSE. A stage 1 GTI is substantially faster in a straight line, and that will help lap times like crazy. But out turn? You either don't know how to drive or haven't driven an FR-S. I have Bilsteins, DG springs, sways, and my friend's stock suspension FR-S is in a whole other handling league. Way stiffer chassis, lighter, more maneuverable, RWD, balanced, limited slip. The GTI's handling is crap in comparison.

Wrong again. That is the old engine architecture and is way too tall to fit under the hood of a BRZ. The new engines are shorter and permit the car to have a much lower CG. Subaru is going back to it's two liter turbo revver roots. Look at the info trickling in on the new WRX.

^this

Maybe a good set of coils, sways, LSD, unibrace, cross brace, and rear sub brace can put us in the same ball park.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion

fanboyism?
i wanted to get an FRS instead of a golf when i was looking at a car to buy lololol.

If that's true, explain how the GTI is only a second slower than the BRZ on the laptimes posted

no doubt the BRZ will out handle the GTI, but it doesnt have enough power to pull it out of the corners. the BRZ handles better, no questions asked. any RWD platform will handle better. but im talking about going to the track. that's where you will see results.
i dont consider driving on the streets as a real "test" to see what car handles better than the next. you're driving on the street. you shouldn't have to worry about if your car handles better then the next.

about the engine in the STI, i have no clue. I dont keep up with what engines are in the next upcoming models. i just assumed it was a 2.5 because the current one is a 2.5

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2022 GTI SE
fanboyism?
i wanted to get an FRS instead of a golf when i was looking at a car to buy lololol.

If that's true, explain how the GTI is only a second slower than the BRZ on the laptimes posted

no doubt the BRZ will out handle the GTI, but it doesnt have enough power to pull it out of the corners. the BRZ handles better, no questions asked. any RWD platform will handle better. but im talking about going to the track. that's where you will see results.
i dont consider driving on the streets as a real "test" to see what car handles better than the next. you're driving on the street. you shouldn't have to worry about if your car handles better then the next.

about the engine in the STI, i have no clue. I dont keep up with what engines are in the next upcoming models. i just assumed it was a 2.5 because the current one is a 2.5

You said "out turn" and mentioned handling mods.

The powerband is the GTI's strength. Too bad the flexy chassis is made out of oatmeal and we don't get a limited slip option from the factory.

It's not like you can't mod a BRZ and make a ton of power.

At the end of the day, the GTI is very low on the totem pole when considering platforms to go fast. The cost to transform it into something great is so prohibitive.