GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trading for an A4, but then..

raydub

Ready to race!
..i drove the a4. ugh. of course it was refined, but just felt way fatter, slower and bigger than i had expected. i had a 330i before my gti, and while the gti felt smaller, it wasn't leaps and bounds better as far as a connected experience.

the a4 felt like a giant, numb appliance around me. all the amazing design, fit and finish and high-end materials just made it more disappointing that the thing drove with no flare.

anyway, that test drive saved me some serious $$. thought i'd share. it's not often you leave a test drive and fall that much more in love with your own car.

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
My mom got a 2011 A4 2.0T. When I saw it I got jealous and fell in love. I actually just drove her somewhere and back in it. Exactly as you said. It's slower, fatter, wallowy, etc. Very comfortable but nowhere near the GTI in it's sportiness.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
..i drove the a4. ugh. of course it was refined, but just felt way fatter, slower and bigger than i had expected. i had a 330i before my gti, and while the gti felt smaller, it wasn't leaps and bounds better as far as a connected experience.

the a4 felt like a giant, numb appliance around me. all the amazing design, fit and finish and high-end materials just made it more disappointing that the thing drove with no flare.

anyway, that test drive saved me some serious $$. thought i'd share. it's not often you leave a test drive and fall that much more in love with your own car.

What did you expect from a heavier car with the same engine?

If you are gong from a GTI to an A4 for a more sporty feel you are doing it wrong....

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I loved my old 98.5 A4 quattro 1.8t but she was getting old. The newer body style is too big and ugly. TT's don't appeal to me either. I'll wait until some better that's AWD comes out to my liking.

He15man

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 Tornado Red GTI
I'm assuming you're talking about the B8 A4's? My friend has a B7(2008) and its a nice car to ride it and im thinking of getting one this year.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
B8 A4 is a super nice car. My wife has a prestige plus A4 and the thing rides beautifully and we got a lot of options. If only she'd let me mod it lol. B4 it happens. Pics for clics

Love the leds in the headlights.

And finally with my gli side by side.

Don't mean to threadjack on you bud but A4 is a super nice car not just cuz me and wife have one but its a definite upgrade.

TheEnforcer98

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI
You're cross shopping vehicles marketed towards different driving styles/goals.

A4 is typical Entry German sedan that "just goes", it may go very nicely compared to say a Malibu, but it still isn't sporty. Go find an S4, then you'll be shopping in the same driving style category. My dad just bought a 2012 B8 S5 and that thing is all you described about the amenities, plus the driving characteristics of a GTI. Granted theres still more weight to throw around, but the sport suspension and drivetrain more than make-up for it.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
You're cross shopping vehicles marketed towards different driving styles/goals.

A4 is typical Entry German sedan that "just goes", it may go very nicely compared to say a Malibu, but it still isn't sporty. Go find an S4, then you'll be shopping in the same driving style category. My dad just bought a 2012 B8 S5 and that thing is all you described about the amenities, plus the driving characteristics of a GTI. Granted theres still more weight to throw around, but the sport suspension and drivetrain more than make-up for it.

Saw an S4 and S5 when we bought my wires car. SO much drool with those pieces of fine automobiles. S cars are on a whole separate level

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
Put some coilovers on it, do the stage 2 tune with exhaust and you will feel a whole new car. It may still be slower than a gti at that point but you would find it much better.

If I had the chance, I would trade up for the new a4 in a blink of the eye.

raydub

Ready to race!
so.. the a4 i tested didn't have the sport suspension. i think that may have made a difference.

also, i tested a brand new s4, and now i'm shopping for one. i want a 2009, which is the year they debuted the current engine. the s4 basically makes me shut up about my gti, and IS what i was hoping i could transform the base a4 INTO.

i do love the a5/s5, and thik it's one of the prettiest cars ever made, but i'm too old (33) to be lifting up the back seat for work lunches and dinner w friends.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
OP needs to go test drive a WRX. You give up a little fit and finish but the interior is comfortable and practical. Stock its quick enough. Not to mention they don't live in the repair shop the way audis do

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G Shift using Tapatalk

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Ive had a 1998 2.8 and 2000 1.8t. They were both fun cars. 1.8t was tuned and was fun car. With tune it was still much slower then the gti. But the A4 is nicer for long rides.