GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trade GTI for E36 *AND* S13?

Muahaahaa

nip deep in pow
So, I've been thinking about selling my GTI and picking up an E36 for cheap. I own the GTI outright, but I could really use the extra cash, which is why I want to get into an E36.

Anyway....Posted the GTI on craigslist the other night, and a local guy offered me his slammed E36 *and* his hella modded S13. I know non M3 E36's aren't worth that much...and mods count for shit towards the value of the car...but I know next to nothing about japanese cars, except that S13's are _____ because drift car.

Anyway, the E36 is super clean, and its got everything done to it that I would have done anyway, but I don't know about the S13. He claims he's got over $10G put into it...but I don't know what that actually means.

Is it worth picking up to resell right away, or part out? Or is this guy just trying to bone me?

mkvgtiiiii

AntiAir Revolution
Car(s)
static
do it!

Sh4wnT

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 rabbit
id say go and check it out, its not worth the harm if its a local guy and you just wanna see with your hands. anyone can make a pic look good for someone.

if hes skecthed about you coming to look at them walk away, if hes more open to yeah come over and drive these things cant be to bad. 2 for 1. and hell if you want you can flip the "drift" car for maybe a profit. some kid will pick it up thinking he can slide it around light posts on the weekend.

all in all i would just set up a meeting with the seller and go from there. both "look" good so give it a shot hell i would. thumbs up!!

Tadddd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI 2-Door
Might want to look further into E36's. I know there's something about the OBD1's that make them easier to work on. I believe this would be OBDII.

As for the S13, it looks like it has a Silvia kit on it, w/e. You'll have to find all about the engine etc. I've got $20 on SR20 swap. Might want to bring someone with you who knows what a clean swap looks like.

gonyofam3

Ready to race!
One thing that struck me as odd... is in the sellers ad he was willing to trade for another s13. That tells me one of two things either the s13 he owns is a big POS
or he really likes those cars, but judging by the list of cars he is willing to trade his cars for I would guess the s13 isn't worth it. I would be extremely cautious with this deal. If it was me you would be better off selling your car and finding a clean low mileage E36 and pocketing the money.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
One thing that struck me as odd... is in the sellers ad he was willing to trade for another s13. That tells me one of two things either the s13 he owns is a big POS
or he really likes those cars, but judging by the list of cars he is willing to trade his cars for I would guess the s13 isn't worth it. I would be extremely cautious with this deal. If it was me you would be better off selling your car and finding a clean low mileage E36 and pocketing the money.

I agree that s13 is probably beat to hell, that low mileage e36 is a good idea :thumbsup:

twiggyapt

____ryan__jackson
Car(s)
07' Gti

Both M3 are wayyy over priced.. when I was in the market for e36 M3s. I found some really clean and well maintained m3s with less than 100k miles for less than 12k and the ones close to the 12K mark are either professionally turboed and supercharged.

OP, I personally would NOT do the swap. it may seem like a good idea getting 2 car for the price of 1, but just by the way the S-13 looks, you know this kid doesn't really take care of car as good as hes supposed to. Plus, the e36 has kinda high millage.. even though those cars could least a long time, however, it requires maintenance and service + replace old parts. Chances are, since he did not mention in the AD, the E36 would probably need master/ slave valve to be cleaned, head gasket replace, cooling system overhaul (very common failure on E36s), numerous bushings replacement, suspension overhaul...and you get the idea.. just the service you will have to spend on the E36 could probably get you another S-13 that is probably cleaner than the one that kid offers you...

I agree with finding a clean, well-maintained E36 to start with and pocket the cash as for the future unexpected surprises on the bimmer... its just there are so many things that will need to be replaced for old E36s and finding a clean one will really save you tons of headache...

GOOD LUCK MAN!

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
The E36 is a good idea(M3). But have the car checked out at a certified BMW service center before any deal is made.

For example if the rear suspension bushings are shot, you will wear tires, and the cost to replace say all the rear suspension bushings is costly.

I have been pondering the same idea. They are great cars and only have a few quirks. .

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...package-rubber-street-bushings-e36e36-m3.aspx

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I thought the second one I posted was a bargain. Look at the mileage, and it a droptop. Last year of production. If I wanted this particular car, I would certainly consider it.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
The second one was a bargain 18k never gonna find a lower mileage one than that