GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track noob - any advice for my first event?

Rennsport

Ready to race!
Do you guys have any advice for a person going to the track for the first time? I bought my GTI in June and haven't pushed it very hard yet. I figured the best way to learn about my car is to go to a track day so I signed up for NASA and am going Thunderhill Raceway on Oct 5. I'm pretty excited, but also really scared as I have no idea what to expect. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, my car is completely stock as of now. I just purchased a set of H&R premium coilovers from a forum member but am debating if I want to throw them on before or after the event.

leegf

(OO=[][]=OO)
drive bone stock for your first event, it'll be a good learning experience.

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
I've been waiting for a thread like this so I can tell you what NOT to do from my experiences!!

First of all, track days are awesome - they weren't the reason I bought a GTI in the first place but now they are the most fun I have in the car and nothing else comes close. I try and do at least one a month.

The best money you can spend to make yourself go faster around the track is on INSTRUCTION preferably one to one. I spent over $5,000 on modifications to my car in the hope it would get me round the track quicker. If I'd spent that on instruction I'd be doing the same lap times (and faster) in a bone stock car.

After instruction, get tires. The best you can afford (preferably semi-slicks) and a set of light-ish wheels to put them on. I went from stock Michelin Primacys (OK, expect understeer) to Nitto Invos (avoid like the plague, these are terrible on the track) to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (OMG... like the car is stuck to the track.) My 1:26 average lap immediately went down to 1:23 just due to the Michelin PS Cups.

After tires I'd suggest handling mods - since you already have coilovers stick them on. But best value for money is definitely front and rear sway bars.

When it comes to engine modifications, do one thing at a time - that way you can decide if it made a difference or not, whether the difference was good or bad, etc. I made the mistake of installing a ECU chip, intake and intercooler all at the same time. The car is definitely more powerful, but I have no specific idea where the extra power is coming from (or if any of those three parts were mis-installed).

And I guess that's about all you need as far as the occasional track day goes.

Above all else, listen carefully to advice more experienced drivers give you and enjoy yourself.

Mikes08GTI

vroom *brap* vroom *brap*
Car(s)
2011 CSG GTI 4-Door
I would recommend upgrading your brakes to an aggressive street pad (Hawk HPS or HP+, for example), and putting in a DOT4 high-performance fluid (ATE 200 or Blue). You'll toast the stock pads pretty quick on the track, especially a first timer.

Other than brakes, don't touch a thing. Make sure all your fluids are topped off and that your car is mechanically sound. All the mods in the world won't help you be a better driver. Actually, modification can mask a lot of what you're doing wrong.

batfink21

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTi MkV 2.0
You'll toast the stock pads pretty quick on the track, especially a first timer.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm curious to know why you think a first timer would be putting more stress on the pads than someone with more experience. Surely a first timer is more likely to be traveling slower at the braking point, and brake earlier and less aggressively?

But I thoroughly agree with your recommendation to upgrade the pads and 5.1 racing brake fluids before the first track day, something which I forgot to include in my list. Schoolboy error.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
I'm not disagreeing, but I'm curious to know why you think a first timer would be putting more stress on the pads than someone with more experience. Surely a first timer is more likely to be traveling slower at the braking point, and brake earlier and less aggressively?

I cooked the shit out of my stock brakes on my first track day. It was one of the factors that lead me to having my first agricultural experience.

If you want, the simplest thing would be to just get some Hawk HP+ pads and DOT 4 fluid (ATE Super Blue, Motul 600) and you will be much happier. Stock pads are a weak point.

Other than that, learn from your instructor and try to be as sharp and smooth as possible. Don't worry about speed, it will come as a byproduct of those two things.

Rennsport

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I just need to go out there and learn from my mistakes. Hopefully they won't be too bad. There will be an instructor provided since it's my first time to a track. As for modifications, sounds like it's better to run stock first then upgrade slowly as I go. I am pretty unsatisfied with the stock pads, even as a daily driver. I'll get around to upgrading those soon. Would you guys recommend SS brake lines too?

I also had a question about ESP. I read on another post that some people like to leave it on and others like to leave it off because it slows them down and can mask what they are doing wrong. I drive the 6 speed and know that my lines aren't the best. Would you recommend turning it off for the first time just to learn the car more or leaving it on?

rickerbr

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I just need to go out there and learn from my mistakes. Hopefully they won't be too bad. There will be an instructor provided since it's my first time to a track. As for modifications, sounds like it's better to run stock first then upgrade slowly as I go. I am pretty unsatisfied with the stock pads, even as a daily driver. I'll get around to upgrading those soon. Would you guys recommend SS brake lines too?

I also had a question about ESP. I read on another post that some people like to leave it on and others like to leave it off because it slows them down and can mask what they are doing wrong. I drive the 6 speed and know that my lines aren't the best. Would you recommend turning it off for the first time just to learn the car more or leaving it on?

Here's what I do -

Brakes - For your first time out, good fluid and decent amount of stock pads (especially in the rear, you might want to start with new pads in the rear for a full weekend) is good enough. I run EBC yellowstuff all the way around now. ATE Type 200 or Superblue is good and relatively inexpensive HP brake fluid. Hawks or other pads are good but are major $$$$. These cars eat stock rears on the track.

ESP - Let your instructor make that call for your first time out, they'll probably tell you to leave it on. As you do this and you get a feel for the car, you'll want it off, because it does strange things mid corner. Also with ESP off, you'll likely spin the inside front tire since the ASR is off as well.

You'll love it, it's an addiction. Soon you'll have track wheels, tires, track pads etc.

Kong99

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey All... and don't give me grief for an EOS. I'm married with kids and love convertibles and we had not had one for 8 years, and IMO the EOS could not be beat for the money. Yes it definitely is a female car but I'm working on fixin that!

I did a HPDE a month ago and had a BLAST!! You will love it! I was totally stock except for Stage 1. The EOS did well, much better than I was expecting. The independent rear suspension helps and it was surprisingly neutral, I was expecting more push, based on my prior experience with VW's and FWD cars.

Another old fart like myself was there with a 08 GTI, totally stock. He boiled his brake fluid. Now we were in TX and it was in the low 90's so keep that in mind. I've been working with a local Tuner shop and the guy there just came from working over a year at the Tuner shop at the track. He said by far the most common problem at HPDE events is brake issues, in particular boiling the brake fluid. This is caused by 2 common factors, low grade brake fluid and rubber brake lines expanding and allowing moisture into the brake fluid and thereby lowering the boiling point of the brake fluid.

So here is my .02 cents. The only thing I would consider BEFORE the 1st time is putting in a high quality racing brake fluid, like Motul RBF 600. Once at the track you'll learn A LOT about what your car can and can't do and there will be many people there who you can talk to get an idea of what makes sense.

What you'll probably want to do after the 1st time assuming you are going back?
Good Tires
Sway Bars
Brakes - race pads, possibly stainless steel brake lines
At least a Stage 1 chip, best bang for the buck, period!

Here is what I'm doing:
VF Engineering Air Intake
Engine Torque Arm Insert (also called dogbone)
EBC Yellowstuff Brake pads (you'll need the tool for the rear brake caliper)
Front and Rear Sway Bars - Neuspeed (I'm going to give this a go, I definitely will do the rear, the front is pretty involved but I think I can handle it)
MSW Type 14 Wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R tires (changed my mind and am going with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec) I am tempted to get the Toyo R888 tire(and am still thinking about it) but it is expensive and you can get the your tires balanced and rotated for free at Tirerack if you buy wheels and tires. Tirerack does NOT sell Toyo. Toyo for my size runs around $210 per tire, the RE-01R $150 and the Z1 around $115. The Toyo is a pure track tire, though it is street legal.

Tuner Shop Install
APR Downpipe (APR is having a sale again through Oct 18th, looks like the DP should be 15% off)
APR Stage II ECU upgrade
Wheel alignment - change the camber for better track performance
Stainless Steel Brake lines and change brake fluid and bleed (I plan on swapping the brakes pads just for the track)

That is ALL i will do with the EOS. If I get serious and I'm 99% sure I will then I will get a different car for the track, frankly what I really want to do is race.

ESP - I turned it off. I feel like it interferes and does masks mistakes.

EZ Up - Yes, Yes, and Yes!

HPDE Info TX
The Drivers Edge - http://www.thedriversedge.net/
Motorsport Ranch - http://www.motorsportranch.com/

murix

Passed Driver's Ed
Thunderhill was the first track I ever went to. Good track.

Remember the most important rule. You want to drive you and your car home safe. It is not a race. There are no awards for going fast.

I would agree with the above and change out your fluid and possible pads. Leave it this way and do nothing else until you find the limits of the car.

Don't be upset when you are slow and everything is faster than you.

It is not the car, it is you. That is why you should not waste money on upgrades. The car will already be faster than you anyway.

If you can, let an instructor drive you around in your car. That will give you a baseline of what is possible.

Don't forget to have a lot of fun!

Rennsport

Ready to race!
Thanks a lot of the input guys. Sounds like brakes are the biggest upgrade, besides my skill level that is. I already signed up for another event at Infineon Raceway on Nov 8th because I'm that sure I'll enjoy it. I won't have time to change the fluid and pads but I'll see how it goes this time and make adjustments accordingly. I really look forward to it and know I'll take it easy. There is an instructor provided since I'm in HPDE 1 so that will be a lot of help. I'll let you guys know how my experience was.