GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top speed limited in USA?

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
Hi guys Belgium tech here,

We have an USA trim car in the shop and customer has the complaint it doesn’t go faster then 200km/h.
It was tuned but we check and now it looks lik it has stock sw tuning inactive in TD1 flag.

The question is do your cars in the USA have stock limit of 200km/h?

In the eu it normally is 250. But cause there are no errors saved in ecu I wondered if it could be “normal”

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
Curious as to what a US / NA car is doing in Europe...military?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Yes.... Military, contractor or DOD civilian....or any US person working for a company that has a branch or HQ in Germany, like SAP. Very common for US folks to take their cars over there.

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
It is on Belgium license plate and own by local person.

If you check the VIN it was total loss from the start. Somebody bought it and fixed and then sold in in eu I guess.

So it is even possible it never has driven in US

pieterjan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI 2023 PP DSG
but in the past we had indeed a USA Toureg on i think Californian plates in the shop. So very often it happens indeed.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Tell the customer to get it tuned again. :)
Yes.... Military, contractor or DOD civilian....or any US person working for a company that has a branch or HQ in Germany, like SAP. Very common for US folks to take their cars over there.
As long as Uncle is paying.:)

cb1111

Tell the customer to get it tuned again. :)

As long as Uncle is paying.:)
And as long as you fall under the Status of Forces Agreement. The SAP and other guys (including most contractors) have to convert their cars to meet German/Dutch/UK/whatever specs. There is one (kinda) loophole. In many cases, you can drive for a half year with US tags (but with "tourist insurance" that will vacuum out your wallet), then another half year (within the letter, but not the spirit of the law) on customs (Zoll) plates.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Took my NA GTI back home too. Makes sense if you organize shipping & conversion yourself, and it’s moving goods (sales tax and custom duty free). On my last day on US tags in Germany someone side swiped my mirror and luckily called the cops. They ran my Ohio plate but nothing... Cops left a note at my wipers. Had to show them registration docs at the police station and good to go.

cb1111

When I moved to the UK (under the SOFA), we were required to run US tags for 6 months before they gave you the UK tags.I bought a new car in Virginia with paper tags. I made a copy for the front and laminated them so they'd last. About a month later, there was an incident on the motorway where I might not have been going the exact speed limit. I showed the cop my Maryland license, my Virginia temporary registration and he advised that he had no idea as to how write me up so I should just take it a bit easy from here on out - oh, and that was the first new Corvette he had seen and could he sit in it?