GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To everyone who lives where there is snow and ice: Be careful

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
...about opening your doors!

I'm at school now in Rochester NY and for the past few months there has consistantly been snow, ice, and generally cold weather. Sometimes when I have been getting into my car, I have noticed ice in the door jams mostly freezing over the hindges of the doors. Yesterday i opened my door and there was alot of ice; so much ice that it bent the body work at the bottom of the door! :eek: I took it to the dealer today and they took pictures of the door (and ice sitting in the door jam) and are emailing a regional representative about getting it warrentied. Needless to say this is pretty annoying, so if you live where there is snow and ice please take your time opening the doors and if you see any ice on the inside try and break it off and get it out of the way of the door so nothing pushes out the body pannels.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
thank god i left rochester. theres only been like 2 inches of snow so far here in jersey this winter but i spent $700 on winter wheels cause im used to the upstate winters. at least your not in oswego, they got over 7 feet so far this week and no sign of it stopping anytime soon. hope your damage is covered buddy. good luck.

rickyC

Go Team Venture!
Car(s)
06 GTI Reflex Silver
post pics if you can.

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
hey Zero,

looks like I have an answer for you, same thing happened to me, and I did some sleuthing.

BTW my dealer repaired my door under warranty, and will be replacing the ice damn at the bottom of the windshield in two weeks, followed by the weather stripping around the windshield.

see pictures!

Seems VW is already aware, as the new GTI's have a redesigned Ice damn and weather strippong around the windshield.

Check your vehicles dudes, here is the root of the problem, the early GTI's had a gap where the weather stripping from the side of the windshield meets the ice damn at the bottom of the windshield, what happens is the snow melts!, and the water runs down, but doesn't get to the bottom, it misses the bottom and runs between the gap into the hinge area of your door, and builds up.

This happened to me last november, and I immediately took it into the dealer, he took some of the pictures, I took more with white plastic to show the gap and path of the melting snow!

VW agreed immediately to repair under warranty.

I had the door repaired last month, and saw the dealer again, and we compared cars on the lot, where he realized, that a new GTI had a different, weather stripping on the side of the windshield, and a different ice damn at the bottom, the top tab overlaps the bottom significantly preventing melting snow from draining into the door hinge area!

Attachments

• HPIM4895 gap at windshield.JPG
    HPIM4895 gap at windshield.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 5,319
  • HPIM4894 inside door.JPG
    HPIM4894 inside door.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 5,351
  • HPIM4896 gap.JPG
    HPIM4896 gap.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 5,310
  • HPIM4978 door off.JPG
    HPIM4978 door off.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 5,254
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 5,616
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 5,228
  • MVC-010F.JPG
    MVC-010F.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 22,023

zerogt86

Thanks so much GTI lover all over again! Hopefully they will warrenty mine, and i will ask them to change out my weather striping to the new style. My door is much more messed up than yours tho :thumbdown: , you'll see when i eventually post a pic. Hopefully I'll get a call tomorrow saying to drop the car off so they can start fixing the car!!

C7ZZ

Ready to race!
A similar issue I discovered at the rear hatch. When the snow melts during the day and re-freezes over night it can fill the small gap under the hatch at the roof line. I opened the hatch one morning to drop some things in the back and crushed the ice, which dented the roofline under the hatch. Fortunately, it can not be seen with the hatch closed. I told the dealer and the result is they are not sure what to do about it. I'll take a pic and post it when the sun comes up.

nc-gti

Ready to race!
...about opening your doors!

I have noticed ice in the door jams mostly freezing over the hindges of the doors. Yesterday i opened my door and there was alot of ice; so much ice that it bent the body work at the bottom of the door!

So, when this happened on your other cars, you where not concerned? I have owned cars for over 40 years, and ice in the door jam is not a new thing and certainly nothing VW could prevent.

zerogt86

So, when this happened on your other cars, you where not concerned? I have owned cars for over 40 years, and ice in the door jam is not a new thing and certainly nothing VW could prevent.

This never happened on my old car, and ive never heard of it happeneing to anyone elses car. Also this was clearly a problem with the weather striping, look at GTI lover all over again's pdf.

spud35

Who am I
Same thing happened to my front passenger door. It was loaded with ice while the driver side had nothing. I'm going to take it to the dealership and see what they say.