GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Load Index

paulnur

Rookie
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Forgive me for reposting but I did search "Load Index" and found nothing so I figured I would ask.

I ordered some tires over at (will not disclose because it was not tire rack) and they flagged my order because I put my car as a 2008 GTI with 215/35ZR-19XL 85W BK Nitto NeoGens. They cross referenced the weight of my car with the "load index" which is 85W on the tires and they said the tires can "fail" blow out ect. Here is the load index for tires. According to their chart the tire under max weight will fail at 1135lbs.

2008 GTI curb weight for automatic is 3151 not coming even close to 1135 at each corner even with 5 200lb people? Is there anyone experienced in this field that can shed some light?

I switched over to Nitto NT555's 225/35ZR-19 XL 88W extreme summer performance for just a tad more and threw in the road protection as well. Came out to $516 to my door. So question is would I have been safe? I sacrificed a tad more stretch but I am not to worried about it as I feel like I gained a little more comfort over such a stretch wheel (205/40 on 8.5 and 215/40 on 9.5 previously with alphards and road like trash.) I am tucking the front and rear and do not like to drive low anyways.

I would love to hear some of your opinions.

As she sits now,

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Ill take a stab, I dont have experience with this, but its a fun question. From a safety perspective their computer prob flagged because it was too far off from the original OEM rating. Best practices are to meet or exceed the OEM rating. 88 probably fit within their tolerance. My 08 GTI came with 225/40 R18 92H XL, all-season performance tires. The diff between 92 and 85 x 4 is quite a bit. 88 is about in the middle. Also the car isnt evenly distributed with weight. Id wager the tires up front take more load then the back depending on cargo etc.. Also driving style and load in cornering, that sort of thing. So the lowest common denominator would dictate why VW chose 92, and Discount tire doesnt want to be sued for selling you something that is too far out of spec.

paulnur

Rookie
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
Ill take a stab, I dont have experience with this, but its a fun question. From a safety perspective their computer prob flagged because it was too far off from the original OEM rating. Best practices are to meet or exceed the OEM rating. 88 probably fit within their tolerance. My 08 GTI came with 225/40 R18 92H XL, all-season performance tires. The diff between 92 and 85 x 4 is quite a bit. 88 is about in the middle. Also the car isnt evenly distributed with weight. Id wager the tires up front take more load then the back depending on cargo etc.. Also driving style and load in cornering, that sort of thing. So the lowest common denominator would dictate why VW chose 92, and Discount tire doesnt want to be sued for selling you something that is too far out of spec.

Nice ride, BTW!

Damn internet/forum; wrote out an entire responce and browser took a shit.

Yes I agree with you that staying as close to 92 OEM standard is probably the safest route. I much rather sacrifice the small amount of extra stretch I would have gotten with a 215 then I do with the 225 just for the piece of mind. The jump from 85 to 88 is a difference in 100lb's a tire, does not seem like much but I would assume under load it matters quite a bit. I am happy with the overall outcome. When I do decide to go with another set of wheels I will take into account that you cannot run such a stretched tire on a 19 due to the tires that are available. That will help dictate which direction I want to go to, poke or tuck.

Thanks broski