GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

tips?

Sooz

Ready to race!
where were you able to learn how to drive stick/dsg, operate in sport mode, and understand boost?

the internet is seriously failing me, and I came super close to blowing my gti up trying to teach myself. hah

plus none of my friends nor family can help - they're not enthusiasts and they're all automatics.

07Noside

Banned
wait so what do you actually want to know? Shift points on DSG?

undisclothesed

Passed Driver's Ed
D - drives like a regular automatic car
M - drives similar to a tiptronic transmission on other cars. you can either use the shifter (push up to upshift, push down to downshift) or use the paddles (click right one to upshift, click left one to downshift)

S - Will do all of the shifting on it's own like an automatic car but will keep the revs high for more power availability. If you click one of the paddles while in S mode it will temporarily act like the M mode where you have control of the gears. If you don't click a paddle again after a few seconds it will automatically take over again and control the shifting again.

It's a lot simpler than it sounds, you just have to try it a few times. If it's any consolation I hardly ever use S-mode on the street.

Sooz

Ready to race!
wait so what do you actually want to know? Shift points on DSG?

yesss. i can't figure out when to shift up and down. I just always end up freaking out my engine. when i first started out, i just tried watching youtube videos and listening to what the engine sounded like when people shifted so... :X tried that, it worked okay except I can't ALWAYS hear my engine. then I tried reading RPMs and it's... not making too much sense, I can't find a really good site to describe wtf I'm looking for in operating through that.

D - drives like a regular automatic car
M - drives similar to a tiptronic transmission on other cars. you can either use the shifter (push up to upshift, push down to downshift) or use the paddles (click right one to upshift, click left one to downshift)

S - Will do all of the shifting on it's own like an automatic car but will keep the revs high for more power availability. If you click one of the paddles while in S mode it will temporarily act like the M mode where you have control of the gears. If you don't click a paddle again after a few seconds it will automatically take over again and control the shifting again.

It's a lot simpler than it sounds, you just have to try it a few times. If it's any consolation I hardly ever use S-mode on the street.

OH. :X sport shifts by itself? hah, i guess I just assumed you had to shift for it always. but, what are all these things saying to shift into sport mode and 'launch'? what does that even mean? what, is it for racing or something? and does it hurt your engine? I've seen how to launch but.. i've been afraid to try it since I assumed you had to know how to shift haha.

I'll teach you how to drive stick

yeah, yeah. :p that's what they all say.

Sourkraut

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
yesss. i can't figure out when to shift up and down. I just always end up freaking out my engine. when i first started out, i just tried watching youtube videos and listening to what the engine sounded like when people shifted so... :X tried that, it worked okay except I can't ALWAYS hear my engine. then I tried reading RPMs and it's... not making too much sense, I can't find a really good site to describe wtf I'm looking for in operating through that.

I drive 6MT, and when pulling away from a stop light I shift around 3.5k. I normally try to drive at 2,250 rpms in 6MT. If my speed increases for whatever reason, i'll shift when my car gets around 3k

OH. :X sport shifts by itself? hah, i guess I just assumed you had to shift for it always. but, what are all these things saying to shift into sport mode and 'launch'? what does that even mean? what, is it for racing or something? and does it hurt your engine? I've seen how to launch but.. i've been afraid to try it since I assumed you had to know how to shift haha.

It's my understanding that sport mode shift by itself, but a lot of people shift earlier because sport mode will bring you into redline when your spiritly driving (. You're car begins to lose a lot of power after 6k rpm's, so people usually manually shift at that point while their in "S" mode to stay in their powerband.

Launch control is when your stopped, you put your foot on the brake, turn off ESP and rev to 2,500rpm's(ish), then let go of the brake. I've never tried it before... i dont have DSG, haha

yeah, yeah. :p that's what they all say.

I really would if you wanted to learn... stop by one of our meets sometime on friday nights if ur ever in CT... www.cteurospec.com

(our website is down right now)

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

FLIPSCOUT

str8dubn
dam dude...you are really lost...I can type a thesis as to how to drive either or,there will be TONS of opinions here, but my suggestion is just to get out there and drive the car...you are making it to complicated and technical for yourself as is. just drive, dont think about it and dont question your actions. If you do one thing and the car doesnt seem like it can handle it, then you may want to try the other option...Like I said, just go out and drive the car, you learn eventually through trial and error...

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
Sooz, shift points depend much on the type of driving you're aiming for:
Relaxed-gas saving: 2500RPM
Normal City Driving: 3500RPM
Spirited: 5000RPM
Racing: 1st and 2nd up to redline, and after that 6250RPM

the car has lots of torque so most of the time you can get away on 3rd all the time in the city if you're feeling a bit lazy to be shifting (but you have DSG so what the hell?), except when coming off a complete stop.

To understand better how turbo-ed cars work, the best you can do is get a boost gauge.
It will tell you what your turbo is doing, when is kicking in, how easy or hard are you going on the engine and such.
Anything between vacuum and 5psi will be normal driving, but on hard acceleration it can go up to 15psi on a stock car, but don't worry, the car is designed to sustain that and even more :smile:

Best advice I can give you is to keep it over 2000RPM and under 5000RPM in the city.
Each gear will give you increments of 1500RPM (aprox) on the first gears and about 1000RPM on the final gears if that helps.

Now for safety advice for shifting.

DO NOT upshift or downshift on a curve if you´re going mild or hard as it will unset the balance of the car even if it's a DSG, always do on stright till you learn the limits of the suspension and grip and know how to handle lift-off oversteering.

If you don't feel confortable using the shift paddles on the steering wheel use the shift stick as it feels more natural.

No matter if you're cruising or doing some spirited driving, be gentle with the GO pedal, do not hammer it, specially in the middle or exiting a curve.
Same goes with the brake, and always try to brake in a stright line and before entering the curve.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
^^^^ +1 That info looks pretty legit.

07Noside

Banned

Daily Driving or are you trying to figure out for well, :burnrubber:

:iono: if this helps you at all

As far what boost pressure values at what rpm you should be seeing, Just about like this for stock ECU's