GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ticking sound in the interior

Hoppo84

Back in Black
Car(s)
R32
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the R32 game. Bought my first MY08 R32 about a month ago. Man, this has got to be the funnest car to drive!! but while sitting at traffic lights I’ve noticed there is this ticking sound inside the cabin now and then. I have absolutely no idea what it would be?! Has anyone experienced this before? Do you think it’s the airconditioning? Any suggestions on what it might be?

Also thinking of getting a stage 1 upgrade. but I’m not sure if this is the first thing I should do. Should I concentrate on the exhaust system first?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

jaehoppa

i also hear ticking noise coming from the back somewhere...not always...i think more pronounced during cold start...

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
^ What Phil said. If it's during the start of your morning commute and from the back, it's the fuel system pressurizing, apparently. Sounds like a little carpenter hammering away for a few miles, then he should bugger off for the rest of the day.

jshish23

n00b
Car(s)
'08 R32
haha, i have the same issue. If you have a VF intake and you hear a grinding sound from the engine... it is the heat shield flapping back and forth in the engine - it is normal too.

10Ten

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
here's what's normal and gets the attention of new owners more than any other noise:

on cold start the fuel system will have a priming function that makes a soft clicking or ticking-like noise coming from the rear passenger side of the car by the fuel inlet. it should only happen when cold, only lasts a couple minutes, and isn't always apparent.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Another one you'll here sometimes, especially when cold, is the sound of the vents opening and closing in the dash. with the climatronic, all those functions are automatic, but they aren't completely silent...

:wink:

R3Drew

Latex Salesman
Another one you'll here sometimes, especially when cold, is the sound of the vents opening and closing in the dash. with the climatronic, all those functions are automatic, but they aren't completely silent...

:wink:

I hate this noise

So much :frown:

Pantera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 vw gti
I know this is an old one but i have that clicking alot even after its warm i can be driving for a hr n just stop at a light n hear it click 4 or 5 timestimes n it just got louder. What you think?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Where's the clicking coming from? Rear right corner? If so, and this happens after the car has warmed up, you have a leak in your fuel evap system.

Otherwise... I have no idea.

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
I have the soft ticking/clicking sound no matter what I am doing. It does it in the morning during a cold start and it also does it after I have been sitting at a stop light after driving for a while. It is just part of the fuel system and should be no concern.

Pantera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 vw gti
See ive been having a rich mixture code n ive always had that ticking noise from the right rear i replaced the fuel filter which is the higher bar one so thats probably why its louder. But ive lost 50mpg every tank full. Im wondering if it worth pullin the seat up n checking the fuel pump back there.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
I can't speak to the R32 side of it, but on a GTI it is not normal for the ticking to continue after it initially occurs after a cold start. If it does, it indicates a leak in your fuel evaporation system.

If you're running rich, I'm not sure the in-tank fuel pump would be an issue, would it? Seems like you're pumping plenty of fuel, but where is it being lost?