GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking about trading 2017 Civic Si for new GTI

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And after you finance your $25k tarted up economy car for five years, what do you have when you've finally paid it off?

A relatively worthless car.

Leasing makes sense if you don't mind having a perpetual payment, you like new cars, you don't want to have to worry about mx, and you don't drive an excessive amount of miles.

I don't buy economy cars and then "tart" them up. Whatever the hell that means. Perpetual payment equals poverty unless you're rich which you aren't. So you buy an economy car for 20K and after 5 years averaging 12,000 miles per year like you're limited to with a lease , without paying a mileage penalty, and you have a car that you can still sell or trade in for around 10K. After your lease you have no car and the money you paid for the lease is gone.

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Sorry but I beg to differ. The investment isn't in the car. The investment is wise spending on things that go down in value. From a financial perspective leasing is the most expensive way to purchase a car. Ask any smart accountant.

You beg to differ on blanket statements being silly??

Your person financial situation isn't the same as everyone else's. Some people value always having a new car, under warranty, that is unlikely to need any maintenance beyond routine oil changes. And some people, such as OP, recognize they are going to want to move on to a new car after a few years. There are cash flow benefits to having a lower monthly payment, such as dumping the money into your 401K and reducing your taxable wages.

You should take some time to actually look at the costs of leasing 2 cars over a 6 year period vs the value of a trade in value that you owned outright after 6 years. The gap isn't as significant as you're making it out to be, especially when you consider the 6 year old car will likely have higher maintenance costs.

Full disclosure: I bought my R, but I've leased before. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sorry but I beg to differ. The investment isn't in the car. The investment is wise spending on things that go down in value. From a financial perspective leasing is the most expensive way to purchase a car. Ask any smart accountant.

Actually, it all depends on how many miles you drive, the car you choose, and how often you replace cars.

If you typically only hold onto a car for 3 to 4 years, don't drive more than 10k miles a year, and lease a car with good residual value, leasing is cheaper. Many leases are also heavily subsidized by the manufacture to move vehicles.

In my case, leasing makes no sense. I chose a GTI (terrible resale), drive 20k miles a year, and I plan to keep this car for 10 years.
In my wife's case, leasing makes sense. She drives less than 10k miles a year, the GLC300 4motion has good residual, and she wants a new car every three years.

Years ago Subaru was selling STI's with 0% interest. I negotiated under msrp, 0% interest, and they hold their value very well. In that case, you'd be stupid to lease.

Oh, and most millionaires lease. You have no idea what you're talking about. I think you're confusing people that live frugally and buy used crap so they can die with money despite not actually being wealthy. Steve Jobs leased a car every month. That's wealthy. Living like you're poor so you can hoard cash isn't wealthy.

Last edited:

uvasteven

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Ignoring the lease vs finance argument. I test drove the Civic Sport Hatch and found it to be a cool little car. Ultimately I went with the GTI because it felt like a true little sports car and not an economy car with a sport badge and many wings. I prefer the DSG to the CVT and the people's warranty was an added bonus. The SI was never in the running because my partner can't drive a manual and sometimes she needs to borrow my car.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
The problem with the civic is it still has not lived down its reputation as fast and furious fans that have loud, buzzing exhausts, aren't fast, and reek of gheyness. Not that the GTI is God’s gift to the world, but it has more class attached to it, as well as a long history of awards for it’s performance, multi use platform, and styling.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The problem with the civic is it still has not lived down its reputation as fast and furious fans that have loud, buzzing exhausts, aren't fast, and reek of gheyness. Not that the GTI is God’s gift to the world, but it has more class attached to it, as well as a long history of awards for it’s performance, multi use platform, and styling.

Jesse was rocking an A3 2 slow automatic with no front calipers, so we shouldn't throw stones.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
I don't buy economy cars and then "tart" them up. Whatever the hell that means. Perpetual payment equals poverty unless you're rich which you aren't. So you buy an economy car for 20K and after 5 years averaging 12,000 miles per year like you're limited to with a lease , without paying a mileage penalty, and you have a car that you can still sell or trade in for around 10K. After your lease you have no car and the money you paid for the lease is gone.

There's no such thing as a five year lease which makes your comparison irrelevant.

You think like someone that doesn't have much net worth and I'm going to leave it at that.

Oh, and most millionaires lease. You have no idea what you're talking about. I think you're confusing people that live frugally and buy used crap so they can die with money despite not actually being wealthy. Steve Jobs leased a car every month. That's wealthy. Living like you're poor so you can hoard cash isn't wealthy.

Exactly.

Just because you're broke and living paycheck to paycheck meaning leasing isn't a good idea for *you*, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for someone else.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Tune in on one of his millionaires only call in shows. Not one of them has ever leased a car. Do want you want and check back in when you're 65 and we'll see how you're doing.

I've listened to him extensively and again, his advise is worthwhile if you're a moron without a modicum of self control. Not so much if you know what you're doing.

Don't use credit cards? Giggle. Ok. Sure, if you're unable to control your spending such that you can't pay it off every month. I've had credit cards for 15 years now, and I've never carried a balance. I've been all over the world using my credit card rewards that were obtained at no cost to me.

Don't finance a car? Again, that's great advice if you lack self control. The better play is to finance that car at a low interest rate and take the money you would have used to buy it in cash, as DR advocates, and invest it into something that with a much higher interest rate than your car loan.

Even his patented "debt snowball" is bad advice. He advocates going after the smallest bills first when you should be paying down the bills with the highest interest rate first. Again, this is because he realizes the caliber of weak minded people he's dealing with, so the motivational boost from paying something off is more important than going after the debt that's costing the most in interest.

Try thinking for yourself instead of repeating Dave Ramsey talking points.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
gentlemen, perhaps we should just leave it at leasing is not for some people, and maybe better for others. There’s a lot to consider. How about meeting in the middle and say look into CPO?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I won't rebut any of the posts directed to me. Suffice to say since I am financially independent I'll continue to follow my beliefs.