GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat housing and water pump fail.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It weighs less than its predecessor which had a bigger issue with thermostat/water pump failures.

In other words VW can't figure out how to stop the thermostat housing from leaking over different generations of cars with the same engine. That's pitiful. I love my GTI but I've had several different car brands over 50 years and never had a thermostat housing leak on any other brand.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
In other words VW can't figure out how to stop the thermostat housing from leaking over different generations of cars with the same engine. That's pitiful. I love my GTI but I've had several different car brands over 50 years and never had a thermostat housing leak on any other brand.
The issue is they've all leaked in different ways

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
The vast majority have leaked at the thermostat housing.
Have you looked at the thermostats for a gti over the generations? They've changed a ton and each one has leaked in different ways. Hell the main current issue for the mk7/7.5 is a plastic weld seam from the manufacturing process and the face to where rit connects to the block

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The Mk6 and Mk7 thermostat housing are totally different in design and appearance though, the mk6 housing would leak where it mates to the engine, usually with the seal failing due to oil degradation from above or then from poor installation of the new part, the Mk7 housing predominantly fails at a specific plastic welded seam and not in a catastrophic manner, this is why so many pass pressure tests, some have reported them failing at the seal where they mate to the engine but I’ve not seen anything conclusive on that.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I agree with you here.
It's ridiculous that such a major car manufacturer consistently leaves its customers concerned over water water pump problems.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The Mk6 and Mk7 thermostat housing are totally different in design and appearance though, the mk6 housing would leak where it mates to the engine, usually with the seal failing due to oil degradation from above or then from poor installation of the new part, the Mk7 housing predominantly fails at a specific plastic welded seam and not in a catastrophic manner, this is why so many pass pressure tests, some have reported them failing at the seal where they mate to the engine but I’ve not seen anything conclusive on that.

My point is the same. VW can't get a simple part to work properly over many generations. I've never heard of other manufacturers having this problem and I haven't ever had the problem with the many brands I've owned.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
My point is the same. VW can't get a simple part to work properly over many generations. I've never heard of other manufacturers having this problem and I haven't ever had the problem with the many brands I've owned.
True that.

strummr

So wifey's '16 GTi SE w/perf pkg (commuter car :D), that just logs slow, highway miles just clicked 70k - and dealer quoted the following: replace thermostat housing (just the housing, not pump) - $1710; mount two new tires - $599 (I just had 4 new Michelin SS mounted early 2019); replace brake pads - $1345 (front with rotors, rear just pads); recondition 4 wheels (some inner well dents) - $1,259. I get dealer costs will be higher but some of these are flat out outrageous - my recent annual service (just an oil change and basic check) on my 991.1 Turbo S was $1100 (exorbitant for just an oild change, but you do have to remove the rear bumper cover, which is a PITA, as I've done it)

The kicker, nearly $1300 to 'recondition' the wheels? the Austins brand new are $194 a piece... and over $1300 to replace two rotors and 4 pads? Interesting indeed. I'll pick up the USP water pump kit and get back into doing some work myself. lol (btw, the USP deal is pretty good, as they allow for a turn-in of the old pump, with a shipping label, and they'll give you $40)

Anyone with some insight to the replacement work?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
So wifey's '16 GTi SE w/perf pkg (commuter car :D), that just logs slow, highway miles just clicked 70k - and dealer quoted the following: replace thermostat housing (just the housing, not pump) - $1710; mount two new tires - $599 (I just had 4 new Michelin SS mounted early 2019); replace brake pads - $1345 (front with rotors, rear just pads); recondition 4 wheels (some inner well dents) - $1,259. I get dealer costs will be higher but some of these are flat out outrageous - my recent annual service (just an oil change and basic check) on my 991.1 Turbo S was $1100 (exorbitant for just an oild change, but you do have to remove the rear bumper cover, which is a PITA, as I've done it)

The kicker, nearly $1300 to 'recondition' the wheels? the Austins brand new are $194 a piece... and over $1300 to replace two rotors and 4 pads? Interesting indeed. I'll pick up the USP water pump kit and get back into doing some work myself. lol (btw, the USP deal is pretty good, as they allow for a turn-in of the old pump, with a shipping label, and they'll give you $40)

Sounds liek they don't need your service right now so the prices are jacked up. Hell teh t-stat service alone if more then a carbon cleaning which you'll need to remove the tstat anyways. Find a local vw mechanic that will do carbon cleaning and t-stat for half the cost most likely

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is VW still using these plastic water pumps? My son has an 18 S and mine is a 19 Rabbit. I track mine and worry about the heat causing a failure.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is VW still using these plastic water pumps? My son has an 18 S and mine is a 19 Rabbit. I track mine and worry about the heat causing a failure.

Really the water pump is plastic? The housing is but I didn't know the pump was. This is my first VW so I'm learning a lot from the forum.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The housing is plastic, the pump impeller is plastic. Nothing wrong with any of that, it's the seals that go.

Buy an electric car, no more stupid coolant problems!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Those price quotes are insane.
Go somewhere else if you're thinking of doing any of that.