GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Gun Thread

markmisc

The weight advantage of the DI AR’s over piston driven is significant in it's self. When I purchase AR’s I always go DI. If you’re looking for a piston driven system then go with the AKM. In a SHTF scenario I would reach for the AKM over anything. If I were to go with the DI AR in a SHTF situation I would keep a spare BCG and quality mags on hand.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
The advantage of the AR in a shtf situation is ammo resupply. Personally I love my Ak but I recognize that .223 is more common than 7.62x39. Especially if the army is in the area for whatever reason.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
DI v Piston

Ok... I get the advantages of Piston, for sure. But aren't the disadvantages pretty significant? SHTF, wouldn't you want a DI gun that you can keep running... forever versus a proprietary piston system? Also, DI systems seem to work just fine in real world nasty situations, is a piston system a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist?

I ask this because if I end up off the shelf I seem to be looking at the Colt 6920 (DI) and the Sig 516 (piston).

Piston guns run cooler and require less cleaning in the chamber. I shot 5k rounds through my m&p 15 DI before I cleaned it with no jams. Some people have FTE's when using cheap ammo with a piston rifle. My buddies ruger would FTE every other round when he used Wolf ammo.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 GolfR, 19 911 GTS
Piston guns run cooler and require less cleaning in the chamber. I shot 5k rounds through my m&p 15 DI before I cleaned it with no jams. Some people have FTE's when using cheap ammo with a piston rifle. My buddies ruger would FTE every other round when he used Wolf ammo.

Not pointing fingers, but.... ;)

The thing to remember is that the carbon buildup is going somewhere in both cases. either in the gas tube and BCG on DI, or onto the piston or in the piston tube. Both need to be cleaned either way.

To me less parts is better in some cases, which is always an argument people have for revolvers over pistols.

I love my AKs, don't get me wrong I think everyone should have a dozen, but unless we were invaded by a combloc type country there is going to be more 5.56 and 7.62x51 available once my 7.62x39 runs out (which would be awhile, buy it cheap and stack it deep!).

markmisc

I certainly understand the the argument that 5.56/.223 ammo may be more plentiful in a SHTF situation. In my experience when ammo supplies dry up I'm always able to find 7.62x39 ammo much easier than 5.56. We have a huge surplus of 7.62 ammo in this country and while everyone and their mother is running for the 5.56, I'll grab the stuff in less demand. YMMV.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
golf
I shoot skeet or sporting clay at south jersey places. Hows lehigh?

Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays is amazing, one of the nicest places ive shot clays at period....going sometime in August if you care to join

The advantage of the AR in a shtf situation is ammo resupply. Personally I love my Ak but I recognize that .223 is more common than 7.62x39. Especially if the army is in the area for whatever reason.

You do realize they make AK's in .223?

oempls

Go Kart Champion
Current daily:

Few deployment toys:

oempls

Go Kart Champion
Mmm Sear pin, FTW.

I've got a handful of Benchmade autos as well, but will probably sell them (legally) since PC 653k sucks so bad and good assisted openers are just as fast in most cases.

:thumbsup:

No need for full auto, 3 round is enough. As for the knives, benchmade put together some decent toys for us. The auto is nice for in the pocket and day to day type stuff where as the fixed blade is a good kit tool. Plus it's full tang.

Bender1

Banned
So my wife has fallen out of love with her bodyguard. Its a great little gun so I will probably keep it as a BUG for myself.

She loves the way that it fits her hand, but its lack of mass (and I think the .380's natural disposition) makes it something that she doesn't enjoy shooting.

She loves the 9c but even with the smaller backstrap its a bit large for her hands.

Any thoughts?

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Well as you well know the lighter the gun the nastier the recoil. And for some reason .380 is a kicky little bastard.

How about the Ruger sr9? It's a real thin single stack 9mm.

Or since she likes the 9c how about the shield in 9mm?