GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Next Car Swap

golftdibrad

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'10 GTI, miata, vers
did plac get fired by another tuner? did he blow up his car? did his wife leave him?

i need answers!

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
STI's still blowing engines, even the 2015's. They need that new engine design soon.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2733009

Uh oh another genius with a new car tuned, trying to figure out how to approach the dealer and get a motor covered lol! The ensuing fire-fight there was fun.

I had to replace a GTi motor. Life goes on. IM ok with my EJ. Id buy another STi as well. I really enjoy my car. Its a unique and fun driving experience.

Keep on tuning and I hope your WRX is still a fun machine for you! Nice vids as well!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Uh oh another genius with a new car tuned, trying to figure out how to approach the dealer and get a motor covered lol! The ensuing fire-fight there was fun.

I had to replace a GTi motor. Life goes on. IM ok with my EJ. Id buy another STi as well. I really enjoy my car. Its a unique and fun driving experience.

Keep on tuning and I hope your WRX is still a fun machine for you! Nice vids as well!

ya hope my engine holds up well. not like i run E85 or anything crazy on it.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
ya hope my engine holds up well. not like i run E85 or anything crazy on it.

Plac from what Ive been reading, Im not aware of any real 'chronic' issues with your WRX motor. There is some talk about carbon build up issues as it is a direct injection motor. So far I have not seen anything concrete about that.

You should be ok man!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i like the fact that you can get the 2016 STI without a wing as an option. it will save a lot of people the hassle of trunk lid swaps.

so i hated the M/T at first, as most people remember.. then i have been loving it for 3-4 months. now, i am starting to get past that hump and yearning for the CVT. although, the CVT has way worse gas mileage rating, which is sort of opposite of what i thought i had read before.

2016 WRX M/T mileage: 20/27
2016 WRX CVT mileage: 18/24

so at least i have that..

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
I know Cobb is big in the WRX/EVO world, why not just use their stuff (intake,exhaust,etc...)and use the maps on the AP? just to keep things simple when switching tunes for the mods you have. I don't know what your plans are for the wrx but from reading around sounds like you've been to a few different tuners now. for some if you have the time to do logs, send in, get new map, upload map and log some more, great to fine tune, but just sounds like a hassle to me.

just my .02 cents, then again if I had cobb, im much closer to cobb socal

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I know Cobb is big in the WRX/EVO world, why not just use their stuff (intake,exhaust,etc...)and use the maps on the AP? just to keep things simple when switching tunes for the mods you have. I don't know what your plans are for the wrx but from reading around sounds like you've been to a few different tuners now. for some if you have the time to do logs, send in, get new map, upload map and log some more, great to fine tune, but just sounds like a hassle to me.

just my .02 cents, then again if I had cobb, im much closer to cobb socal

because I guess you havent seen my Cobb stock map (called stage 0) vs Cobb stage 1 map graph.. the cobb maps are retarded.

yes, you are seeing it right. the cobb stage 1 is way weaker than cobb stock mode. they deaden the throttle response so its useless.

back to back runs, 5 mins apart. same road, same time, same temps. this is not just me. a few people did the same test with same results.

I didnt mention that both the cobb maps also have a ton of -1.04 learning knock, my e-tune map has none.

Last edited:

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
what were your mods at the time when the flashes were done? of course the stock map is just as it sounds, stock.

at the current map you are running how would you compare it to your gti, not in stock stage?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
what were your mods at the time when the flashes were done? of course the stock map is just as it sounds, stock.

at the current map you are running how would you compare it to your gti, not in stock stage?

those are all no-mod stage 1's. i think the WRX stage 1 would edge out a stage 1 MK6 GTI. But hard to compare since we are talking manual shifting compared to DSG.

my current stage 1 map is an e-tune, and here is the graph overlayed on the cobbs.

the e-tune is the green and orange lines. not huge jumps, but still very noticable. Cobb tune peaks about 16psi, e-tunes peak the proper amount which is 20psi.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
definitely a big improvement, any plans for a bigger turbo to make some more high end power? maybe an E85 tune?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
definitely a big improvement, any plans for a bigger turbo to make some more high end power? maybe an E85 tune?

hell naw.. this is a lease man.. people say im insane for doing any mods at all. E85 is just suicide. too risky until it is more widely tuned. the only engine blows i have seen were E85 people.