Would look similar to this:

That has an IRS conversion though.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Would look similar to this:

That has an IRS conversion though.

Also, on the tire debate. There's NO WAY a tire that grips well will also have a long life. It's physics. To make a tire grip, the rubber compound has to be softer, and that will make it wear faster. There's no way around that. You can have an A/S that grips OR one that has a long life, but not both.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion

Also, on the tire debate. There's NO WAY a tire that grips well will also have a long life. It's physics. To make a tire grip, the rubber compound has to be softer, and that will make it wear faster. There's no way around that. You can have an A/S that grips OR one that has a long life, but not both.[/QUOTE]

Agree that it makes no sense that the 500 tread wear a/s 3's grip at or near summer tire levels but many people here, on other forums around the web ( incl tire rack reviews and employees) and in person have them and can at least testament to the grip part.

I only have about 7500 miles on mine so can't say how long they last yet but the forecast is looking good since they're measuring out with minimal wear so far. Ive spoken to other owners who have 15-20k and they're still in good shape. 15-20k on a summer tire would be a pretty full life mostly in my experience (hankook v12, kumho). PSS and DW owners can chime in on how many miles they've squeezed.

Time will tell but I'm liking how things are looking with the A/S 3's. Being from a reputable brand helps any fear of false claims also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
It depends on your definition of "long life". If a "long life" is longer than summer tires, and around 20-30k miles, then yea I'm sure the a/s 3's will be great with good grip.

When I think of "long life" I think of the tires on our Saab 9-4X. We'll easily get 50k miles out of them. We're at 37k now, and there's plenty of tread left. Car's heavy, grip is fine for what it is.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Long life to me is 80k+ the crown Vic tires usually last that long but alignment stuff tends to wear it by then. Otherwise 100k

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
No, but I won't buy her what she wants (truck), so she does now.

When my next step finally comes to fruition (2 cars: Vette and Colorado) I think the Colorado might actually see a lot of miles with us. We both agree that it's perfect for what we both want. I just really want to see if the ZR2 sees the light of day before pulling the trigger. Might not buy one, but it's the only truck that I'm legitimately excited about, so I'd hate to make a move then regret it if that thing comes out the way I want.

PetrolHead

Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Nope. Only drove it about 22k miles, and swapped the wheels with wider ones half way through owning it, so never actually WORE out a set of tires.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Nope. Only drove it about 22k miles, and swapped the wheels with wider ones half way through owning it, so never actually WORE out a set of tires.

Hmm. You really are a sick bastard.

On an unrelated note, who in this thread actually tries to maximize tire life?
I mean, you have to rotate your tires. But actually having fun while driving causes a shitton of tire wear. 80K miles is definitely possible on Michelin all seasons on a giant boat like a Crown Vic. But if you corner at speed in a car, you're not going to hit the tire wear rating.....that baseline was established by your grandma.