GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The new project, finally underway...

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Just letting you know, I decided to scrap my MKII project. I feel that I'm way to impatient with stuff to watch this project progress over time. If any of you are interested since I know a couple of you were interested in a similar project, I am selling the car. Its a Black 91' GTI 5spd. with just over 150,000 miles on the chasis. Feel free to PM me for more details on the car but I'm looking to get $800 for the whole car as it is. Let me know!
I figured I'd offer it up here before I post on craigslist or what not.
-Ryan

Last edited:

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
by the way, you dont stand a chance, against this car when its done...haha

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
We're swapping a 12V VR6 into the car instead of the crappy 1.8L 8V. We need to rebuilt the VR6 and trans before it goes in to handle the FI. First step is probably Suspension system and BBK. I dont want it to look completely OEM, but I want it to look clean. I.E. G60 Fender Flares, after market wheels, new front grilll, tails, etc. Noticed the SMS performance name, care to assist in the project? haha. Purpose behind the car is, a lot of "go" range (350-400HP), but like I said I want it to look really clean, so "show" is included.

SMS_Performance

VW Performance Shop VA.
Car(s)
VR6 Corrado
I would love to assist, In what are you needing??? 350 to 400 horse??? I would guess that you are talking forced air? I can build you a Great VR combo for a great cost too. SMS Performance is now going to become FourseasontuningEC, I am starting this up for the east coast. James and I are wanting to be able to supply the parts and service WE all need while driving our volkswagens. So you want show? Then we need a poster car. haha. Where are you located exactly? Im just right outside of Richmond VA, Hell if you come down I can give you a ride in my freshly built 2.9L 12v VR Corrado. LOL!!! You can PM me and I can shoot you my number.:drinking: :headbang:

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
PM sent!

peoplekillrobots

Ready to race!
I'm interested in following this because I am considering in investing in an MKI GTI for a swap and restoration (or maybe just an entire restoration without the swap?)...MKIs in decent shape that still run ain't that bad on price...just saw one with 80k miles on it for 800 bucks. Any particular reason you chose the MKII to restore?

gtiTom

The Average Asian
Car(s)
VW MK5 GTI
There's a guy in columbia md with a Mk1 red gti. needs a little engine work but everything is in good condition I believe. If you're interested, PM me and i'll lead you to him.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
MKI's arent' as durable to handle heavier swaps and horsepower. MKII's were actually a better foundation to build on. So thats why I went MKII over MKI. When we start working on this car, your all more than welcome to come over and check it out, even pitch in if you feel like it. More GTI BEER-B-QUE's at my house! MK1's are fun, but from my research and readings I hear they're better for restor. then swaps and bolt ons.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
That being said, its also an older car, a little less popular so harder to find parts for it, and being an older gen of a car, they've usually got a lot higher mileage. It really depends on what you can find. Its been done before, swapping a VR in a MKI, even turboing a MKI, but I'm just a sucker for MKII"s to so I could be a little biased! haha

peoplekillrobots

Ready to race!
Yeah I feel you on that...I am just not a huge fan of the big bumpers that came in on the MKII. I'd probably want to just do a restore...but then when I see the stock HP of those original MKIs and compare it to the MKV it just makes you crave a little something more. This would be my first attempt at a car restore, and really my first experience working on a car in detail...basically I would need all the help, advice, and guidance I could get haha. I just dig the MKI, the overall vibe of the car, but even if the engine were to remain mostly stock I wouldn't be restoring it to stock exterior/interior. I am more envisioning an MKV inspired MKI, with some partial leather interlagos inspired interiors and updated electronics/audio. You know? Kind of how they still make the MKI chassis in South Africa...I would be more interested in restoring it to be like the Citi R.

And gtiTom, I live like 10 minutes north of Columbia, I actually work down there too, so I might be interested in that GTI for the right price...you can PM me some info if you please.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
With MKII"s, you can use big bumpers or small bumpers, its preference, and if you dont like the kind you have on your project car, you can find them so easily on vortex. Everybody and their mothers sells those things. You can trade them for no cost even. Just saying, be prepared to invest quite a bit more in reinforcement on a MKI chasis. I'll definitely help you out if you need it with your project. This isn't my first project car, and not my first VR swap, but it is my first MKII so I'm new to my specific swap as well. I know my way around a car, so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

peoplekillrobots

Ready to race!
With MKII"s, you can use big bumpers or small bumpers, its preference, and if you dont like the kind you have on your project car, you can find them so easily on vortex. Everybody and their mothers sells those things. You can trade them for no cost even. Just saying, be prepared to invest quite a bit more in reinforcement on a MKI chasis. I'll definitely help you out if you need it with your project. This isn't my first project car, and not my first VR swap, but it is my first MKII so I'm new to my specific swap as well. I know my way around a car, so I'm hoping I'll be ok.

Yeah I was thinking the bumper swap is a possibility...I'll have to put some more thinking into the overall thing. I would definitely be drawing out the restore so i could just pay for it over a longer period of time. How much is a decent MKII going for these days? MKIs don't seem to hard to find, but just from some craigslist searching I didn't see a single MKII, and a few MKIs. If I decide to get going on this, I want to try to get going on it fairly soon.

In the mean time get some pics up of your MKII, brother!:thumbsup: