GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I did not say they focused on military targets but there were factories that produced for the war. I'm not debating the choice of targets. There were undoubtedly better military target choices.

My point is the factories, the foundries, the ammunition dumps, the logistical hubs, and shipping were not near the target zone. We are talking miles away in the use of a bomb that had minimal affect that far out. We targeted where we did to gauge its affect on a population center, nothing more.

Take a look at a map and pre-bombing photos of that district of the city.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
BUT WE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THE ONES COMMITTING THE WAR CRIMES.

Again, I murdered you to save you doesn't usually work well as a moral justification.

There is no moral justification for war in the first place.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
This is a fascinating argument about WW2, events that happened 75 years ago.
If we are still debating this, what hope do we have of sorting out current events???

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That's true.
But it's still a what if. What if Russia deploys a nuclear bomb and declares it was a mistake?
But once again it's a what if. Can it happen sure. Has it happened no. It is certainly scary though.

What? I'm talking about Pakistan, India, Israel, and soon, Iran. Past near events were with Russia, yes, but Russia is only a nuclear threat at this point for their efforts to proliferate the spread of nuclear weapons. I'm not even worried about NK. It's a nuclear device falling under the control of radicals that is the biggest concern, not actual governments themselves. It's why we give Pakistan and India millions and millions of dollars every year to safe guard their weapons.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The whole population gets isolated for the sake of not spreading something. How can you not see it that way?
Millions have had it and recovered. We have been intermittently isolating for a year. It's not working and not necessary. We have more suicides than COVID deaths from what I gather.
'The cure can't be worse than the disease'

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There is no moral justification for war in the first place.

So we wouldn't be morally justified declaring war on Germany for genocide? That isn't why we declared war, but itv would have been a valid moral justification.

We wouldn't be morally justified declaring war to defend the US against Japanese invasion of allied countries after bombing pearl harbor?

Do you think about the things you say before you say them?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
My point is the factories, the foundries, the ammunition dumps, the logistical hubs, and shipping were not near the target zone. We are talking miles away in the use of a bomb that had minimal affect that far out. We targeted where we did to gauge its affect on a population center, nothing more.

Take a look at a map and pre-bombing photos of that district of the city.

Agreed. But I don't think that was the reason the target was chosen.
It was chosen to show that if you don't surrender we will annihilate you. Was it the right thing to do? No.
It most unfortunately did serve its purpose. Pitifully abhorrent but we can't change history. Only learn from it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Agreed. But I don't think that was the reason the target was chosen.
It was chosen to show that if you don't surrender we will annihilate you. Was it the right thing to do? No.
It most unfortunately did serve its purpose. Pitifully abhorrent but we can't change history. Only learn from it.

Did we learn from it?

cb1111

So is dropping a nuclear bomb in the middle is a civilian center.

If we'd lost the war, all those involved would have hung, no doubt about it.
Not really. My military strategy studies were in Austria and Germany (one of them was taught by the then current Austrian defense minister, and another by a military ethicist) and this precise topic was hotly debated. We even roped in the Japanese, US and German ambassadors.

While the "ends justify the means" clearly doesn't apply, the popular consensus was that the targeting of civilians, to prevent more civilian casualties does not necessarily constitute a war crime.

It is easy for us armchair historians to debate this, but we weren't sitting in the White House back then looking at projected numbers.

I'm not going to debate "was it a war crime?" because we can't definitively decide this one way or the other.

Reactions: WAP

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is a fascinating argument about WW2, events that happened 75 years ago.
If we are still debating this, what hope do we have of sorting out current events???

None, because half the population are morally bankrupt like you.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So we wouldn't be morally justified declaring war on Germany for genocide? That isn't why we declared war, but itv would have been a valid moral justification.

We wouldn't be morally justified declaring war to defend the US against Japanese invasion of allied countries after bombing pearl harbor?

Do you think about the things you say before you say them?

Of course I do. What I meant is the country who started the war is not justified resorting to war.