GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Elensky says "Heil Hitl"... i mean "happy V-Day!"

IMG_20220509_083206_235.jpg

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Well my lady, non car fluent friends, and any regular passengers except my son hate it. 😂 The sound is like a diesel tractor with a helicopter prop on top, but I do have very stiff mounts. I like the clutch action though. The sound does get distracting at times when I’m trying to listen for other sounds but if you press in it goes away.

I have probably gotten used to the awesomeness of it but my car fluent friends who have driven it say it’s the best clutch ever. The pedal is light, it’s very direct and it grabs hard. It wants to be launched. The rev hang has a much more manageable level over a dmfw. The break in was very painful, it took much longer than my Sachs Performance and it grinded from the fresh material for a while.

With a smfw, especially a lighter one like the ACT you’ll want to leave the fan on a low setting for great drive ability in stop and go traffic unless you can adjust your idle on obdeleven. For whatever reason mine can’t.
how long did you break it in for?

I'm almost 200 miles into the clutch break-in for my ACT. So far, I love it.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT

Took around 1K to be completely smooth in 1st and 2nd. I think the shop that did mine didn’t clean the disc of the factory goop so it was extra rough at first.

Gonna splurge for the 42DD transparent aluminum bellhousing so I can see the hot yellow plate 🤙

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Took around 1K to be completely smooth in 1st and 2nd. I think the shop that did mine didn’t clean the disc of the factory goop so it was extra rough at first.

Gonna splurge for the 42DD transparent aluminum bellhousing so I can see the hot yellow plate 🤙
Transparent aluminum? What, they supercool it until it turns to aluminum glass? o_O

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
@uberdot talk to me about your ACT clutch.... how do you like it? I'm currently running an RSR clutch but thinking I want a lightweight flywheel.
I also have it and am very happy with it. It was noisy as hell at first, but heavier gear oil helped a ton

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Well my lady, non car fluent friends, and any regular passengers except my son hate it. 😂 The sound is like a diesel tractor with a helicopter prop on top, but I do have very stiff mounts. I like the clutch action though. The sound does get distracting at times when I’m trying to listen for other sounds but if you press in it goes away.

I have probably gotten used to the awesomeness of it but my car fluent friends who have driven it say it’s the best clutch ever. The pedal is light, it’s very direct and it grabs hard. It wants to be launched. The rev hang has a much more manageable level over a dmfw. The break in was very painful, it took much longer than my Sachs Performance and it grinded from the fresh material for a while.

With a smfw, especially a lighter one like the ACT you’ll want to leave the fan on a low setting for great drive ability in stop and go traffic unless you can adjust your idle on obdeleven. For whatever reason mine can’t.
Ya unfortunately in order to adjust the idle you need a custom tune. I'm currently working with Stratified on my old custom tune, Cobb recently added idle tables and we're still trying to get it dialed in. The tuner just sent me a 2nd file today to give a try.

npace

Autocross Champion
I also have it and am very happy with it. It was noisy as hell at first, but heavier gear oil helped a ton

How would heavier gear oil help? Sounds like placebo effect.... flywheel is on the engine side and there's no oil where the clutch is (or at least there isn't supposed to be).

Ya unfortunately in order to adjust the idle you need a custom tune. I'm currently working with Stratified on my old custom tune, Cobb recently added idle tables and we're still trying to get it dialed in. The tuner just sent me a 2nd file today to give a try.

I have HPTuners and tuned the car myself. I've never used stratified. But when I started wanting more than what the big tuner companies could offer, it was obvious that I would either have to learn how to do it or pay someone else big money for a custom tune.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
How would heavier gear oil help? Sounds like placebo effect.... flywheel is on the engine side and there's no oil where the clutch is (or at least there isn't supposed to be).

I have HPTuners and tuned the car myself. I've never used stratified. But when I started wanting more than what the big tuner companies could offer, it was obvious that I would either have to learn how to do it or pay someone else big money for a custom tune.
Not placebo at all. Car was borderline insufferable before switching gear oil. Most people refer to the noise as "clutch rattle" but that's not accurate, the lighter flywheel allows the gears to rattle more, which is what you're hearing, and the gear oil is coating the gears therefore heavier gear oil = quieter.

One downside is until the trans fluid has been warmed up the shifter will be notchier and won't want to go into Reverse, but you can easily bypass this by going into 2nd gear and then popping it into reverse. Once it's warmed up everything is smooth and it'll pop right into reverse no problem. This on the Redline MT-90, I plan on switching to EQT's cocktail package sometime soon

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

We put an ACT into my buddies V6 Eclipse...long story short, he broke the transmission internals but the clutch was great.

npace

Autocross Champion
Not placebo at all. Car was borderline insufferable before switching gear oil. Most people refer to the noise as "clutch rattle" but that's not accurate, the lighter flywheel allows the gears to rattle more, which is what you're hearing, and the gear oil is coating the gears therefore heavier gear oil = quieter.

One downside is until the trans fluid has been warmed up the shifter will be notchier and won't want to go into Reverse, but you can easily bypass this by going into 2nd gear and then popping it into reverse. Once it's warmed up everything is smooth and it'll pop right into reverse no problem. This on the Redline MT-90, I plan on switching to EQT's cocktail package sometime soon
That makes sense.