GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thanks VW!!! (Flat tire this morning)

Fivespeedg

Ready to race!
Flat tires are never good, but this is the best one I've ever had.

I was leaving for work this morning in slacks and a nice shirt. Got in the car, started it up, and the TPMS started flashing. I forgot the car even had this, so it was kind of cool to know BEFORE I left the garage. After checking, sure enough, the right rear was almost 20lbs low.

Popped the hatch, got the jack out. A sigh of relief--ahhhh. Easy to use. Plus, there's a FULL SIZE spare. Yeah, it's a black steel wheel, but it's got a REAL tire on it that matches the diameter of the others. Had it on in 5 mins. Then, I made my 25 mile commute to work. Even had to get on the freeway. The spare was quiet and stable, car felt very solid even at speed.

This is such a welcome change from my 2000 Camaro Z28 I had. The TINY donut spare was located in the right rear quarter and required removing the hatch trim to access.

Also, driving a 300hp car that rides on 245/50 series tires and 8.5" wide rims with one tiny 4" wide donut spare is downright dangerous, especially on a drive wheel.

So here's a thanks to VW and a big thumbs up for well-engineered vehicles! :drinking: :thumbup:

gilboman

Ready to race!
Flat tires are never good, but this is the best one I've ever had.

I was leaving for work this morning in slacks and a nice shirt. Got in the car, started it up, and the TPMS started flashing. I forgot the car even had this, so it was kind of cool to know BEFORE I left the garage. After checking, sure enough, the right rear was almost 20lbs low.

Popped the hatch, got the jack out. A sigh of relief--ahhhh. Easy to use. Plus, there's a FULL SIZE spare. Yeah, it's a black steel wheel, but it's got a REAL tire on it that matches the diameter of the others. Had it on in 5 mins. Then, I made my 25 mile commute to work. Even had to get on the freeway. The spare was quiet and stable, car felt very solid even at speed.

This is such a welcome change from my 2000 Camaro Z28 I had. The TINY donut spare was located in the right rear quarter and required removing the hatch trim to access.

Also, driving a 300hp car that rides on 245/50 series tires and 8.5" wide rims with one tiny 4" wide donut spare is downright dangerous, especially on a drive wheel.

So here's a thanks to VW and a big thumbs up for well-engineered vehicles! :drinking: :thumbup:

they still make cars that don't have full size spares?

with the price you pay for a VW, its the least they can do.

Fivespeedg

Ready to race!
With the exception of my old 1997 S10 Blazer, none of the cars I have owned have ever had a full size spare. And I've owned a few cars...granted, they've all been American.

My buddy's Audi S4 came new with a 5th rim and matching Pilot Power tire in his trunk...but I guess that's what you get with a $60k car.

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
uuhh full size? the gti rides on 225 series tires in either 17" or 18", but the spare is a 195 and a 16" wheel. Correct me if im wrong but how is that full size? Not to mention the spare is a different tire than the standard tire the vehicle comes with.

Fivespeedg

Ready to race!
uuhh full size? the gti rides on 225 series tires in either 17" or 18", but the spare is a 195 and a 16" wheel. Correct me if im wrong but how is that full size? Not to mention the spare is a different tire than the standard tire the vehicle comes with.

You are correct--the tires are not the exact same sizing, or brand. I believe the tire/wheel combo is such that it matches the diameter of the stock tire/wheel combo. Spare = smaller wheel, taller tire, stock = bigger wheel, shorter tire. I haven't measured, but by eyeballing, this looks to be the case.

In either case, I'm just happy that it's not a donut spare...It feels much more substantial.

Car(s)
2008 GTI 6MT
i hate the spare i was forced to put in on for a week after i got a flat but i ended up not taking my car out of the garage becuase the spare looks so Fugly:yikes:

bcze1

You people make me laugh

When talking about spares, full size does not mean its identical to the standard wheel/tire combo. It simply means its a real wheel/tire, not the temporary POS that limits your speed to like 50mph and tells you it will automatically detonate after 75 miles.

Drake87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
My last car a 98 A4 had a matching wheel as a spare that is the best

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
When talking about spares, full size does not mean its identical to the standard wheel/tire combo. It simply means its a real wheel/tire, not the temporary POS that limits your speed to like 50mph and tells you it will automatically detonate after 75 miles.

Correct, just as i was saying. The spare we have is a "compact spare" even VW says that straight up on their website. A full size spare would be IDENTICAL to the wheel/tire combo on your vehicle.

Fivespeedg

Ready to race!
Correct, just as i was saying. The spare we have is a "compact spare" even VW says that straight up on their website. A full size spare would be IDENTICAL to the wheel/tire combo on your vehicle.

The GTI is a tiny car, so I'm still impressed. Would I expect a 5th matching wheel and the same stock tire setup in an Audi A3? Yeah, it's a premium vehicle, especially in any Audi car with quattro because of the rolling difference of a donut vs a correctly sized tire. Would I expect a full size spare in a Ford Taurus? Hell yes, it's a boat! Yet, it only comes with a wee little donut...

I think what matters is that the wheels are the same circumference with the spare on. The stock tire on a GTI is a 225/45/R17. The accompanying spare is a 205/55/R16. That yields a 78.4531 inch vs 78.1563 inch difference in circumference which is null because of the differing wear on the tires anyway. I'd imagine having the same tire circumference allows the ESP/EBD/Traction control to function properly, right?

One thing I did notice--the spare is really quiet, even inflated to correct pressure. It sounded like the right rear corner of my car wasn't touching the ground. When the stockers wear out, I'll be happy to buy a quieter set of tires for it.

andrewt

Autocross Champion
Popped the hatch, got the jack out. A sigh of relief--ahhhh.

just wait til you have to use that jack anywhere other than your driveway. its fine on perfectly flat concrete, but its a death trap on any incline or soft terrain.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!

Would you pay an extra $600 on the price of your car for that? I am guessing no. The only cars I have seen with this setup are AWD.