GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TAI breaks gear box mounts...

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
i took my car in for service today and i told them about the clucking i get when reversing and sometimes under hard braking. a few hours later they call me back saying i have a broken engine mount and they wont be covering it under warranty because of my TAI. now this is not the first time i have broken a gearbox mount.. i did one on my old black GTI too and guess what the common connection was... thats right a TAI!

obviously my driving style has a part as well but i just thought i should let everyone know that this could be a problem. i dont baby my GTI but i dont thrash it too much either. TAIs are a cheap, common mod and it seems the gearbox mounts are not as strong as we think.

just be careful guys cos i now have to pay $221 for the new mount and bolts minus fitting :thumbdown:

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Thanks for the heads up!

So your stealer actually did some work for you that wasn't warranty related? :biggrin:

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
bugger.
I propose VF mounts, and a GTG where we can collectively guess how to install them.

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
i took it to another dealer and theyre much much better... but unfortunately theyre mod nazis

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
i smell a VF mount GB coming along hahahahaha

Androo

lolwut... ??
You had Neuspeed TAI.

How are the APR TAI? They are a bit more expensive, does that mean they wont break? :p

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
You had Neuspeed TAI.

How are the APR TAI? They are a bit more expensive, does that mean they wont break? :p
its not that TAI that are breaking. the engine mounts are according to zz2

Androo

lolwut... ??
Hmm yeah... I didn't read what i posted.

What i mean is, does it matter what brand of TAI or are they all causing problems (breaking engine mounts)? But then again Mark, you have had so much bad luck lol... has anyone else had problems?

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
well i was told over the phone that it has!

ill have a propper chat to the workshop forman and see what he says. if its the dogbone mount where the TAI goes i wont have much of a leg to stand on. but hey its worth a shot right? :iono:

606gti

black sheep
yeah you wanna know exactly which one it was.. The insert could easily be claimed to put more stress on the other mounts. Its designed to have that give in it.

decksla

Ready to race!
thats good to know.

if all they blame the TAI for is a broken mount then im happy.

if they start blaming DSG failures on them, im gonna have to remove mine.

606gti

black sheep
you need to have a chat to maverick, he'll give you a hug and assure you your dsg is indestructible :)

TimT

Go Kart Champion
The way I see it a TAI would reduce the stresses on a GB mount. VW mounts are crap and break without modification. What could potentially cause issue is an incorrectly installed TAI. If the bolt is not torqued correctly it can back it's self out causing a lot of engine movement which will then put a lot of strain on the side mounts.

I think jumping to the conclusion the TAI caused the problem is jumping the gun. VW may void your warranty at their discretion of course. But I'd like to hear the physics behind their claim.

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
the TAI was installed correctly and torqued to the right amount so thats not the issue.

i could argue that hard acceleration in the wet which induces large amounts of axle tramp would of played more of a part in it breaking