GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switched to stock mode and DSG is smoother

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Taking my car in to the dealer for some warranty work so I switch to stock mode. I haven't been in stock mode for a very long time and I immediately notice that the DSG feels much smoother. I thought these issues were resolved a long time ago.

I have revo 2+ on a 2007 and just learned to deal with what I thought was normal dsg behavior. But going into stock mode and feeling such a difference in shifting leads me to think that there is something still going on with the software. I also have revo's stage 1 dsg flash. One of the reasons I was taking the car in tomorrow was to have them witness the dsg behavior but now in stock mode I'm not sure they'll notice anything out of the ordinary.

Anyone else experiencing this lately with their software?

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
No one notices a difference in DSG behavior between stock and performance modes or people have just learned to deal with it?

Is it the increased boost that has a negative effect on the TCU or something else? Cuz there is a big difference in my case.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
The difference in smoothness stock and chipped in my 06 DSG GTI was so bad in D, that I finally said fuck it and traded it in for an 08 with manual 6sp. In D, the car would often cut boost at the worst time, apparently flashes can trigger some sort of protection mode where boost is cut when it thinks the motor is out of control. The car shifted too early, and would slam into gears since it had so much more torque down low. In D, the tranny tries to upshift as early as possible for fuel economy, which doesn't jive with an extra 100 lb-ft torque on tap.

Overall DSG was just a disaster for me, I love it at first, then I freakin HATED it. I'm a lifelong stick user, so no matter how much better computer trannies are, I will be old school. I had to unchip the car finally, then the DSG acted fine again, as it did for you, then it got traded in. IMO a 6 sp man is a better platform to mod. DSG can work nice, but I think it works best when motor is stock as that's what the shift programming was designed for.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Wow I can't believe it was so bad that it caused you to trade it in for a 6 spd. There is no doubt that when in a performance mode, D is the worst. fortunately I drive with the paddles about 90% of the time where shifting is much smoother. I was just shocked at the difference I felt in D between stock and chipped mode.

I'm also kinda pissed that the DSG flash I got made little to no noticeable improvement in shifting behaviors.

fahrenheitestephen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
im a fucking ***
ive driven plenty of other tuned gti's and they shifted fine

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Wow I can't believe it was so bad that it caused you to trade it in for a 6 spd. There is no doubt that when in a performance mode, D is the worst. fortunately I drive with the paddles about 90% of the time where shifting is much smoother. I was just shocked at the difference I felt in D between stock and chipped mode.

I'm also kinda pissed that the DSG flash I got made little to no noticeable improvement in shifting behaviors.

I had same feeling, with paddles fine, but in D terrible. S is useless unless you want engine at 6500 rpm all the time. 0-60 runs from standing start with flash are pretty impressive with DSG though, just stay on gas and let it rip.

I traded as my left foot kept trying to engage clutch, I just missed it. I shan't go automatic route again unless something happens to my leg.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
^

We'll know when you head up to Boston...

...because you lost your leg (har har Dropkick Murphey's reference)

/threadjack

I can't say I've noticed any rough shifting after being chipped.

I have experienced the transmission getting into a higher gear as quickly as possible (back in May) which was strange considering that when this happened I was purposely applying a hefty amount of throttle to replicate it and did. However, that doesn't happen anymore...at least not since my intake manifold was replaced under warranty, but I don't think it happened much before that either. Might have been related to adaptation.

Last edited:

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
So I turned the boost setting down from 8 to 6 and left timing/fuel the same as it was before and the DSG likes it better even in "D". Interesting...

jsof

Ready to race!
I have the same problem, got apr stage 1 ecu a month ago. 'D' is terrible... almost every gear change feels like crap, you can feel the power loss.

'S' and trip tronic work fine. now i use trip tronic 80% of the time.

alphabits

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GLI
I use 'D' for puttin' around town and when I wanna pull away, I switch to manual/paddle shifters. 'S' mode is fucking useless. It doesn't even shift in the powerband of the K03! Friggen bouncing off the rev limiter is useless on a K03.

alphabits

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'06 GLI
OP does have a DSG tune...

TSiUG

sleeper...
I have such a love-hate relationship with my DSG.....when it autoshifts from 3-2 and 2-1 its clunky and makes noises I don't like. Also since going k04 I have noticed at the track that it takes a fair amount of time to shift from 1-2 at WOT at redline and feels like a slipping clutch. Also when starting off from a dead stop on an upwards incline it kind of lurches and makes a weird noise while also feeling like slipping clutch. I might switch back to stock mode and see if it feels any smoother/less noisy. Thinking of taking it to the dealership and having them check it out.