GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping standard tail lights for LED

Leejohnston1607

Hi guys, I have just recently bought a mark 7 GT TDI and I’m thinking of turning it into a GTD replica as best I can. For anyone wondering why not just buy a GTD the simple answer is finances. I have plenty of questions but for now I think I’m going to start with changing the standard lights with GTD/GTI LED versions. I can see the actual physical change over is quite simple, but I’ve read conflicting reports on wether or not any Re-coding will be required. Has anyone else done something similar and can anyone tell me is it a basic plug and play or will coding be involved? Thank you in advance.

Car model is a 2013 2.0 GT TDI Bluemotion UK based.

Jon B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GTI & '07 TBSS
I can't speak for ROW cars, but my US- spec GTI received the European LED taillights and they worked fine without coding. However, that is to say they operated like the normal US-spec lights. Our cars didn't have the amber signals or the entire light being used for the brake light.

More recently, I changed that with the required wiring and coding with an OBD11. I don't think you're asking for something that isn't a possibility, but you may need to see what is necessary for your specific car.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi guys, I have just recently bought a mark 7 GT TDI and I’m thinking of turning it into a GTD replica as best I can. For anyone wondering why not just buy a GTD the simple answer is finances. I have plenty of questions but for now I think I’m going to start with changing the standard lights with GTD/GTI LED versions. I can see the actual physical change over is quite simple, but I’ve read conflicting reports on wether or not any Re-coding will be required. Has anyone else done something similar and can anyone tell me is it a basic plug and play or will coding be involved? Thank you in advance.

Car model is a 2013 2.0 GT TDI Bluemotion UK based.

If you're getting the Mk7 lights, no coding required - just a small change to the wiring with a patch cable or two. Mk7.5 I can't speak for.

Personally prefer the Mk7 ones - I used the Smoked Golf R lights on my white TDI - looks great!

Leejohnston1607

If you're getting the Mk7 lights, no coding required - just a small change to the wiring with a patch cable or two. Mk7.5 I can't speak for.

Personally prefer the Mk7 ones - I used the Smoked Golf R lights on my white TDI - looks great!

Yep they do look great.. from YouTube videos it looks like a straight swap including having the same connectors.. aprt from on the drivers side a small piece of plastic needs to be removed, I think I can pick up a set for around £235 so fingers crossed they work!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Yep they do look great.. from YouTube videos it looks like a straight swap including having the same connectors.. aprt from on the drivers side a small piece of plastic needs to be removed, I think I can pick up a set for around £235 so fingers crossed they work!

You'll need to run a cable from the inside to the outside lights on either side for the indicators - it's a relatively simple job. You'll also need to bridge pins 1 and 4 on the connector, but again, that's simple too.

There's a few really good guides lying around the Cosmetic Mods section of people routing the wire. This is the wire I'm on about: https://www.carsystems.eu/additional-wiring-led-taillights-vw-golf-mk-7,id1235.html

It's just standard repair wire with the correct pins pre-attached.. might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Don't be put off by the fact you've got to do a little bit of work - it won't take you long and you can do it all with basic tools (a screwdriver with the appropriate Torx bit!).

Is that price for OEM parts, or aftermarket?

EDIT: Here's a UK seller with the wires: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk7-Golf...h=item23afd1c9a4:g:mMEAAOSwWI5b9tUO:rk:4:pf:0

Last edited:

robby1

Ready to race!
I fitted a set of LEDs a few weeks back, no coding required.
I bridged the wires in the outer lights using scotch blocks and then ran a wire from outer light to inner light and everything works :)

might be selling mine if i work a deal on a new car i've been looking at

Leejohnston1607

Without sounding too dumb.. what’s the reason for the extra work required? I originally assumed any golf lights will fit any golf.. or is it to do with the fact they are LES?

Leejohnston1607

You'll need to run a cable from the inside to the outside lights on either side for the indicators - it's a relatively simple job. You'll also need to bridge pins 1 and 4 on the connector, but again, that's simple too.

There's a few really good guides lying around the Cosmetic Mods section of people routing the wire. This is the wire I'm on about: https://www.carsystems.eu/additional-wiring-led-taillights-vw-golf-mk-7,id1235.html

It's just standard repair wire with the correct pins pre-attached.. might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Don't be put off by the fact you've got to do a little bit of work - it won't take you long and you can do it all with basic tools (a screwdriver with the appropriate Torx bit!).

Is that price for OEM parts, or aftermarket?

EDIT: Here's a UK seller with the wires: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk7-Golf...h=item23afd1c9a4:g:mMEAAOSwWI5b9tUO:rk:4:pf:0

I managed to get an offer of £150 accepted on a full set of tail lights that have came off a VW golf GTD ?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Without sounding too dumb.. what’s the reason for the extra work required? I originally assumed any golf lights will fit any golf.. or is it to do with the fact they are LES?

Turn your hazards on and look at your lights.. there's no indicator on the hatch lid sections!

Look at the new LED lights, and there are indicators!

You need to connect the two together, otherwise you'll have no indicators on the hatch sections.

Bridging pins 1 and 4 on the outer lights is for the bi-colour LED - not essential, but it's an easy fix to an annoying looking problem.

Trust me when I say the job isn't difficult in the slightest, and the wiring is only going to cost you another £10 or so delivered.

Leejohnston1607

Turn your hazards on and look at your lights.. there's no indicator on the hatch lid sections!

Look at the new LED lights, and there are indicators!

You need to connect the two together, otherwise you'll have no indicators on the hatch sections.

Bridging pins 1 and 4 on the outer lights is for the bi-colour LED - not essential, but it's an easy fix to an annoying looking problem.

Trust me when I say the job isn't difficult in the slightest, and the wiring is only going to cost you another £10 or so delivered.

I was slightly apprehensive when reading these comments at first.. but found this kit on eBay with step by step instructions and now I’m back to feeling excited to fit them again! Thanks for all the help ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk7-Golf...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

tjacko

Car(s)
Golf MK7
I linked that a couple of days ago! :p

Good luck mate - if you have any problems, give us a bell.

Hi guys!

I have just come across this thread after having the same issue.
I have some Golf R lights ready to fit onto my Bluemotion, but cannot seem to find the cable I need. Is it called anything specific?

Hope you don't mind me joining this old thread!

Cheers
Terry