GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Upgrade - Order of Operations

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
Okay. I have all of the parts listed below waiting for me at home. (Mad props, btw, for those of you who helped me pick most of them out.) My question is, what would be the ideal order to install this stuff? I've never done suspension work before, so, I'm trying to prepare as much as I can before attacking it. Any insights into common pitfalls or "gotchas" would be extremely helpful also. I've been going through as many DIYs as I can find, but it never hurts to ask. Right?

I suppose an easy format to suggest a particular order sequence would be something like "FRONT: 3,4,5,1,2,3" "REAR: 5,4,3,2,1".

FRONT
  1. Koni FSD & Eibach Pro spring kit
  2. 034 Strut Mounts (pair w/ bearings and bolts) [034-601-1004-TD]
  3. H&R 26mm front sway bar [70750-26]
  4. Whiteline Adjustable Front Sway Bar End Link - Pair [KLC167A]
  5. TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Subframe Collar Kit - [TSDSKVW]
  6. SuperPro Performance Control Arms [ALOY0001K]
  7. OEM Ball Joints

REAR
I already have a 24mm H&R rear sway bar installed
  1. Rear Shock Mounts (x2) [1K0513353G]
  2. Whiteline Trailing Arm Bushing Kit [W0504]
  3. Rear Lower Spring Isolaors (x2) [1K0512297D]
  4. Rear Upper Spring Isolaors (x2) [1K0512149B]
  5. Whiteline Adjustable Rear Sway Bar End Link - Pair [KLC141]

xatnys360

Ready to race!
Start with the back - it's the easiest and will inspire confidence during the rest of the project. The only potential trouble you will run into is removing the factory bushings - they are a PITA if you don't have the right tools (hydraulic press).

I haven't done any of the subframe or front strut bar stuff, so I can't speak about that. I did my front strut assemblies first and then did the control arm stuff after. The hardest parts will be getting the stock struts out (the metalnerd strut spreader tool looks legit; alternatively, don't be afraid to bang hard with a large chisel to spread that sucker open) and getting the axles realigned in inserted into the hub (this isn't hard with two people, but by yourself - it would be tricky because you'll want more hands). I did the WALK instead of the SuperPro kit, so I'm not exactly sure how that's going to go. The only trouble I had w/ the WALK was aligning all the bolt holes - it took one person muscling things into place while another fought hard to get the bolts threaded at the right moment.

You won't have a lot of choice in the order of operations of things - most of what you are doing is tearing things apart and then reinstalling in the same sequence. I would think it would be everything in the back, front strut assemblies, control arms, and then subframe/strut bar.

Ignignokt

K04 Bound
Car(s)
'08 Mk5 GTI
Start with the back - it's the easiest and will inspire confidence during the rest of the project. The only potential trouble you will run into is removing the factory bushings - they are a PITA if you don't have the right tools (hydraulic press).

I haven't done any of the subframe or front strut bar stuff, so I can't speak about that. I did my front strut assemblies first and then did the control arm stuff after. The hardest parts will be getting the stock struts out (the metalnerd strut spreader tool looks legit; alternatively, don't be afraid to bang hard with a large chisel to spread that sucker open) and getting the axles realigned in inserted into the hub (this isn't hard with two people, but by yourself - it would be tricky because you'll want more hands). I did the WALK instead of the SuperPro kit, so I'm not exactly sure how that's going to go. The only trouble I had w/ the WALK was aligning all the bolt holes - it took one person muscling things into place while another fought hard to get the bolts threaded at the right moment.

You won't have a lot of choice in the order of operations of things - most of what you are doing is tearing things apart and then reinstalling in the same sequence. I would think it would be everything in the back, front strut assemblies, control arms, and then subframe/strut bar.

Yeah, I have the spreader tool and, thankfully, the only bushings I have to press are the rear ones.

I wasn't sure if I was asking an asinine question because I've never dropped the subframe or done suspension work at all.

Thanks for lending some guidance! :thumbsup: