GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Glass Removal

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey all,

I just wanted to ask this as a confirmation. I've source new sunroof glass to replace my warped and gross looking gasket. I'm actually getting the glass and all cheaper than VW wants for just the gasket. My question is, what's involved in removing just the glass? I shouldn't have to drop the headliner or anything right?

I found this post describing it with text and just wanted to make sure this is all there is to it:

If you tilt the sunroof open you will see an accordion shaped piece. It pops right off, giving you access to the 3 torx screws. Take them out, and then remove the glass.

Are there 3 torx screws on each side? When I drop in the new glass, is there an adjustment procedure?

Edit: I'm also assuming the torque on these torx is pretty light. Anyone have a torque number?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

doctorj

Just did the same thing on my 06 gti because off he same reason, but I bought the entire sunroof assemble off a 2009 car.
Like mentioned above, after tilting the glass and pulling out the accordion thingies you see 3 T20 torx on each side. Remove those and the glass comes out.

This was my gasket.

My car has several problems on the roof. A) sunroof gasket, B) leak from antenna and C) sagging headliner. So I took the headliner out to fix all of the problems and reupholstered the roof and pillars.

Upholstered.

New vs old.

J.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just did the same thing on my 06 gti because off he same reason, but I bought the entire sunroof assemble off a 2009 car.
Like mentioned above, after tilting the glass and pulling out the accordion thingies you see 3 T20 torx on each side. Remove those and the glass comes out.

J.

Awesome, thanks!