GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subframe mount install

Ace-

Hey guys, I recently replaced my motor mounts on my mkv gti. Top two went fine then the pendulum mount spun the rubber on the top puck that the bolt threads into. I ordered new 038 mounts then after looking into the procedure which seems to be nonexistent and learning that all the bolts on the subframe are TTY I went ahead and ordered the new bolts. The bolts wont be shipping for a month and I'm having a hard time dealing with the extra vibrations this has introduced.

Ive been looking into a work-around seeing if there was a way that the top mount could be done without dropping the whole subframe assembly. From what I've read there's no way to do it. I've looked at pictures of the subframe assembly dropped and it looks like the only reason you couldn't besides the actual pressing of the mount is that the sway bar is in the way. Does anyone know if the sway bar is removed will there be enough clearance to get the mount into position? I was thinking about freezing the mounts then using a bolt and some kind of a plate to pull the mount into place. Seems that the clearance would be the only thing stopping me from doing this. Any insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated. :bow:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You can mark the bolts with a paint pen or sharpie and then put them back in the same position. I would also consider just doing the bottom mount which is easier. You may not like the vibrations even after they are all in.

Ace-

Sadly I NEED to do the top mount because of the current mount being destroyed trying to swap the pendulum mount. Not too worried about a little extra vibration it'll make the car feel more like a car. ;) The bolt marking idea is pretty slick but Id rather just wait for the new ones. I talked to a tech that pushed me towards not reusing them.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
We did the marking all the time on big industrial machines. I do understand wanting new bolts, especially if anyone else has worked on the car.

Ace-

Going to tackle this tomorrow. Ordered all the biggest bolts and canceled the kit that was on its way. Thanks for the input i will probably use that technique for all the bolts i do reuse. Thanks for the input much appreciated. :)