GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stumbling start (intermittently, so that's fun [still not fixed, apparently])?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Why not get a dongle and Simostools and start logging instead of guessing?
Always an option haha. Not sure if OBDeleven can get the refresh rate I need nor do I even know where to begin on what to log.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
@Diggs24 and/or @OceanJack

Think it is worth addressing the 1 and 4 misfire codes at all after checking the charcoal canister? Plugs are new about 15k miles ago. Coils have about 75k on them. Just not sure if the misfire codes could be popping due to a possible fueling issue. I guess I could always swap 2 and 3 for 1 and 4 to see if it persists first. My idle does seem to be just a bit rough and did recently have the valves cleaned, so it's not that.
if it's misfiring enough to set a code you should absolutely address it asap

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Took the time this weekend to pull the charcoal canister. Perfectly dry with not even a hint at a sound of liquid inside. Let it sit upside down for a while in a bucket and I did not see any drips of fuel.

Here's a fun thing. About a year ago we had seen signs of a mouse living in our basement. Most notably, it had destroyed a golf club headcover that my wife had knitted for me. We never could find its nest or where it took all the yarn. I think we found it :cautious:

I did visually check all the wiring in that area and don't see where anything was chewed. This is also the only place I've seen anything, never any trace under the hood. Guess the next time I rotate my tires, I'll pull the other three fender liners to check.

I don't think this would have anything to do with my issues as the missing headcover predates my starting issues. I did have to pull some yarn out of that plastic cover that goes over the fuel neck, so it would seem it was packed between the fender liner and that cover.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Installed four new Beru coils on Sunday. Car fired right up and the idle is definitely smoother. Only time will tell if it helps with the intermittent start issue.

Shout out to FCP for being great about a lost shipment. Our local USPS is having major issues after closing a distribution center for renovation. Apparently, this has overloaded other locations and things are just disappearing. I chatted with FCP, they looked into it, and within a few hours, a new set of coils were boxed up and shipped UPS Next Day Air.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Have you looked into replacing HPFP? I've been having similar intermittent issue on my 2015 with 53k miles, occasionally it will have trouble starting after sitting for 30 min (hot engine). Check out the post #36 below.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/hard-starting-when-engine-is-warm.9499266/page-2
Oh damn. That sounds exactly like my issue. Even down to the timing of it all. If I get out for a few minutes and go again, it starts right up. If it sits at work all day and cools completely, also starts right up. But it has typically happened when the car sits for 30 minutes to an hour.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Oh damn. That sounds exactly like my issue. Even down to the timing of it all. If I get out for a few minutes and go again, it starts right up. If it sits at work all day and cools completely, also starts right up. But it has typically happened when the car sits for 30 minutes to an hour.

Luckily replacing HPFP is an easy DIY job and pump is not overly expensive. I think it's worth giving it a shot.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Luckily replacing HPFP is an easy DIY job and pump is not overly expensive. I think it's worth giving it a shot.
Interesting that there are two on FCP depending on production date. I think mine is April 2015, which means I'm stuck with the one that is double the price, of course haha.

1712672351011.png

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Not sure what the differences are, maybe call FCP and ask. I'd also try different sources, yeah I was thinking it shouldn't be more than $300.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Not sure what the differences are, maybe call FCP and ask. I'd also try different sources, yeah I was thinking it shouldn't be more than $300.
Yeah, there are some Hitachi options on eBay for sub-300. Shipping from China.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Just as the title says. My car would have trouble starting. Usually on a warm engine. Would crank but struggle to turn over. I did HPFP a couple months ago and my issue still persist. It's worth a shot doing HPFP. I've done so much research about this issue but have not found the problem. My battery is nearing 3 years I may replace this week for peace of mind. I've read it could be the fuel filter being clogged. I'm at 110k miles and I fuel up alot. Sucks that the fuel filter comes in the LPFP.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
FYI I did injectors as well not to long ago and the problem still persists. Car still starts and drives. However, I dread the day it doesn't start and become stranded. Sucks having to pay for parts digging for the issue.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just as the title says. My car would have trouble starting. Usually on a warm engine. Would crank but struggle to turn over. I did HPFP a couple months ago and my issue still persist. It's worth a shot doing HPFP. I've done so much research about this issue but have not found the problem. My battery is nearing 3 years I may replace this week for peace of mind. I've read it could be the fuel filter being clogged. I'm at 110k miles and I fuel up alot. Sucks that the fuel filter comes in the LPFP.
Yeah, it is interesting. When the dealer diagnosed the N80 and PCV, they explained it as too much fuel vapor getting in there and it needing to burn off before the car will start, which made sense to me. The Vortex thread seems to indicate a similar thing, but actual fuel (hydrocarbons) getting through the HPFP. I've had my valves cleaned, new battery, new N80 and PCV, checked the charcoal canister for fuel, and new coils. I've had both an evap code and misfire codes (cylinders 1 and 4). The car runs strong and doesn't miss a beat while driving. And honestly, this might only happen to me once every couple of weeks, or even once a month, since I am typically commuting to work, it sits all day, and then driving home.

Knowing the timing is important and possible to recreate the condition for science. Anyone know what I should log to try to track it to the HPFP? I only have my assballs ODBeleven (@Diggs24 :ROFLMAO:) available to me at the moment. I can try to recreate this on purpose this weekend and log it.

FWIW, all of my Blackstone tests have come back with no notes of fuel in the oil. Most recent one attached, but it might be just before this issue started to show up.

1712673876801.png