GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stuck between a rock and a hard place....

yungty718

Passed Driver's Ed
So im considering buying my first brand new car and have been trolling mulitple forums for awhile....i test drove a 2012 gti 6MT yesterday and was sold...but im not purchasing until late april due to wanting to save up enough for a hefty down payment ( a lil more the 25%)so i wont be upside down on the loan. My problem lies between golf r or gti autobahn....price difference is a few thousand and basically same package interior wise(leather seats, dynaaudio,kessy, etc)..by no means i want dsg due too costs down the road...my own opinion of course..but im just dont know which to choose...the biggest battle is fwd vs awd( which i heard is mainly fwd but can switch to rear) and a couple epa mpg difference....resale value i deem too be close because i was looking at used gti's with 34k miles and they were damn near $25k no sense in my book, and im sure the r would be better if not the same..Im not planning on modding pass stage 1...maybe not...because it will be my DD and i live in ny but moving to pa by winter.. any advice guys that own gti's or guys that are in the same situation...is the r going too be like a sti, insurance price wise?? thanks

JDM713

Go Kart Champion
if money isn't an issue, go with the R for sure. It's worth it alone for the AWD in my opinion, really the only thing I don't like about my car is FWD

adrock301

I've got a GTI and run Blizzaks, have no issues with snow ice thus far (Minnesota)... I wouldn't let that stop you... That said... Personally I'd rather have AWD even for DD compared to FWD with or without snow.

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
My car is lowered and still on the stock all seasons. It handles just fine in the snow, and we've had a couple pretty large storms recently.

yungty718

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys for the speedy responses but its not that "money aint a thang" its that when i ran quotes it is basically a hundred dollar or less difference...now my whole dsg argument was cost of maintenance in years to com because since this my first car i am committing myself too it... now the r awd system is complex and im pondering if it will cost as much as dsg to maintain BUT thats a price i wont mind paying because it will provide safety & performance, i guess. Ive been hunting for reliability on gti from 2010 and up but i know its still early, and i would like to hope the R stronger internals and stock k04 is built to last as well

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
With snow tires on my GTI in MN, it conquers the winter just fine. However, for even just a stage 1 tune, I'd love to have AWD all year long. I can manage my throttle just fine and don't have "problems" with wheel spin, but I'd love to just be able to peg it to the floor and go in 1st and 2nd gear.

For me the price difference was big though. I got a used VW company car with 10k miles and a CPO warranty (4 door autobahn) for $10k less than the R. It was tough to justify an R, and I'm happy with my decision. I love my GTI.

Also, DSG isn't that expensive. It's about a $400 service ever $40k miles. Figure if you go stage 1 you may need a new clutch with a manual, and the costs aren't really that much different. Make your decision on whether you like the DSG or you like the manual. They are both great.

yungty718

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah thank you.. i appreciate it ...i know clucthes cost more depending on how you drive and where and who drives your car but i mean way past 40k miles on a dsg maybe 80k or 100k thats how long i plan on keeping these cars...sure things may change for me in the future... a deal like yours i would jump on as well if i found it i need a 4 door and CSg is my color of choice hands down lol ....maybe i will go R..the wife aint gonna like this....lol

adrock301

Just my nature... but I would always think "what if I would have bought that R", if I was torn between the two and got ended with the GTI. (especially since it's not a big $$ dif) I wasn't in the same place you are, so I'm perfectly content with the GTI, but from my past purchases, I have felt this way a lot....lol

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I've been complaining about my FWD for a while now but after doing the XDS mod I love my FWD car and I rarely get torque steer. Car handles really well. I get the same sensation as I did with my R32. Plus, with the gti, you save more on gas and you get to have DSG!

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Since you have time, order an R. Then get your LED tails and mods waiting for its arrival!

darkxghost

Ready to race!
wait, the differences are only a hundred dollars? meaning payments? Isn't an autobahn manual gti 30k or under before taxes. and R starts at 35k or something of that sort.

It depends what you want, you said you don't want dsg because it will cost more down the road. I'm assuming you mean the 40k service cost for the dsg.

However you have to replace the clutch sometime down the road, etc.

Also, if cost is an issue, gas mileage will be substantial.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either. In terms of elegance, I'm sure both will be the same. But if you want more power/ performance, then go with the R (although the GTI is plenty powerful for me as a daily driver)

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
If you can swing the payment of a R I don't see why you'd consider a GTI.
You'll spend more money on a gti to make it as fast as the R, and still have traction issues.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Get the R if the diff is only a few grand. I am guessing it is going to be more of a difference because you are comparing the sticker price. On the R you are likily to pay sticker and with the autobahn you are over paying if you do. You should be able to get at least a couple grand off the sticker on a autobahn.

But if money is not an issue get the R. A couple grand in mods and you are pusking 360 hp.

Skeptix

Ready to race!
Get the R. GTI is a piece...

Though I heard from a new R owner that he wants to get rid of it already.