GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange Noise @ Engine Off

Wrath627

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI
So, every once in a blue moon my car does this weird thing when I turn the engine off. It makes this "thud-thud-thud-thud-thud..." noise.

It only lasta few seconds, I'd say ~-5 seconds and doesn't do it consistently at all, which is why I'm not able to put up a video or a sound bite.

The sound resembles that of valves opening and closing, almost a suction/breaking vacuum feel to it with a somewhat deep tone to it.

Anybody else ever experience this? There are no other, "symptoms" and I really havent been worried about it, but now I'm just curious.

FYI - 2009 TSI, APR stage I.

Thanks

Rev685

Ready to race!
I can't think of anything other than your E-brake being slightly loose and your car rolls till the transmission catches. That would make a thudding sound as you shifted around in your car. Other than that, I can't say what the sound would be without hearing it or knowing of other symptoms. Sorry.

Wrath627

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI
Thanks. I doubt its the ebrake tho, car is stationary. I'll ask when I take my car in for service... maybe I'll get lucky and It'll duplicate itself for the mechanic.

Wrath627

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI
The sound I'm talking about comes from teh engine bay... although I SOMETIMES hear the sound you're talking about. I figured it was just the plastic stopper that holds the trunk tray up when the hatch is open...

SA-GTI

Ready to race!
I get exactly the same sound, very inconsistent though and happens very rarely. Almost like a "backwash" of fluid or possibly trapped air?

Please update this thread if you find out what the issue is.

macq

Car(s)
vw
I have the same sound every time I turn the engine off and imo its normal.. I heard it on a few gti's so far. Im not really sure, but it sounds like either the hids, or something other electrical is turning off.. Somebody please correct me if Im wrong.

Wrath627

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 MKV GTI
SA- Thats exactly what it sounds like

Macq - I doubt its the lights, they dont make any noice on engine start.

I'll hopefully have an idea after tomorrow when I take her in for service

gtituner

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Dirty
i have this sound as well...i always thought it was the valves...

carbuyer

Ready to race!
ive never had this noise...

but if it sounds like fluid whooshing,
perhaps it has to do with your a/c system (condenser etc) or your radiator/cooling system?

does it only happen when you start the car with the a/c knob on?

Rev685

Ready to race!
We're not talking about the throttle body adapting on shut-off are we?

eod69usn

Ready to race!
i had a similar problem...it was coming from the right rear tho...OP are you experiencing any strange idle issues with the car? It turns out i had a small leak in a random valve that was part of the evap system that caused my car to idle weird

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
We're not talking about the throttle body adapting on shut-off are we?

No that's a high pitched whine.

The sound they're describing is normal - there have been other threads on it. Everyone has it, some people just don't hear it because it goes on after the car is turned off and is faint. IIRC it is just valves opening and closing.

ChouDawg

Null
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX
Hmm, I'll play. If its a 6MT car, and you dont depress the clutch when turning off the car you'll get clutch chatter as it turns off, which could sound like a rattling/clacking. Also if you have an aftermarket intake or something else on your engine it could be hitting something when you shut off the engine if there is enough movement in your engine when you turn it off. I'd say the best way to pinpoint it would be to shut off your car w/ the hood open and watch/listen for stuff