GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock dogbone failure

bz_2.0T

Ready to race!
last night i started hearing clunking noises coming form under the car, and right before i pull in to my driveway the dogbone bracket falls off right in front of my house. by this point the car was hardly driveable and i just managed to put it into the garage,

the bolt that connects the bracket to the dogbone has snapped off,

the second bolt has fallen off and i didnt find it.

what parts do i need to fix this? just the missing bolts?

also how do you suggest i remove the broken bolt?

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 647
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 663
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 712
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 691

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
What kind of mods do you have?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Yes, replace both as one unit.

I have my used one w/bolts from when I put in the bsh mounts and I noticed too that the small bracket seems affixed to the bone somehow. Likely a heat press fit.

The oem is priced right. What did you hit?

Remove the other piece and then get at the broken bolt. If enough shows itself then, you likely will be able to get vise grips on it or weld a smaller bolt to the broken bolt and back it out after it cools.

bz_2.0T

Ready to race!
it didnt hit anything, no marks on the mount either, the car is not even lowered. it just got loose over time

im thinking of putting in the BSH mount too.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Try buying a left-hand drill bit. You may be able to merely spin out the broken stud with it. Worse that could happen is you drill the hole you'll need for a screw extractor. Get the size drill for the correct size extractor, just in case. I've done it plenty of times with broken alternator bolts. Make sure you go easy if it's in aluminum.

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
Could be worse, could have been the tranny case that broke and not the bolt.

I remember that happening to someone a few years back

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
:threadjacked:

Sorry about that but I went to install my short shifter today and noticed my VF trans mount had a sheared bolt too. It broke off within the bracket, i'm not drilling anything out, just replacing the trans bracket that bolts to the mount. My questions to anyone out there should i stick to an OEM bolt with VF mounts or reach out to VF and get new replacement bolts ?

bz_2.0T

Ready to race!

i got the broken bolt out, i started to drill it, it got loose enough that i used a punch and a hammer to spin it out

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
USUALLY, when there's no tension on a bolt it just sits in there loose. But you should always try a left-twist drill bit.