GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

steering wheel controls not working

kush

sv_gravity 0
i got in my car this morning and none of the steering wheel controls were working. dsg paddles wouldn't shift either. i looked it up and apparently it's the clockspring. the weird thing is, yesterday when i took a hard turn i got a beeping noise from the dash and all the error lights lit up. i turned the car off, then back on and it went away. same thing happened this morning when i did a u-turn, again had to turn the car off and back on.

my question is do these two have anything to do with each other? or is it purely coincidental that they would happen around the same time?

and does anyone know anything about the second issue?

i'm out of warranty so i'm hoping it's nothing serious.

Last edited:

BAMF

Ready to race!
Do you have an airbag light on? Did your horn stop working? If so, it's likely the clockspring.

What error lights did you get when you turned hard?

BAMF

Ready to race!
Hmm, might be over my head then. There is an angle sensor on the steering column that is tied into the ESP/ASR, but I'm not sure if that sensor goes through the clockspring (I don't think it does.) Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer for you.

Can you scan it with Vag-com?

kush

sv_gravity 0
thanks i'll def. check vag com when i get the chance.

the steering wheel started working again but i don't count on it lasting much longer.

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
My clock spring is currently out but I don't have any lights or anything like that. Just no horn, paddels, or MFD controls.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
the clock spring is at fault for both issues? any chance it's the abs module or something of the sort?

A broken wire on the clock spring can faulty readings in other modules because I believe the clock spring wires go to the main control module, just like the other modules do.

kush

sv_gravity 0
update, i haven't replaced the clockspring yet but it seems to be working fine now, i guess it was just one of those random one time things.

as for the dash lighting up during hard turns, turns out it was because i was low on brake fluid. :iono:

adamh49

Why not Zoidberg??
Car(s)
MKV GTI
im experiencing the airbag light and no horn.. would this clockspring be worth a DIY or should I just have a dealership do this.. whats the frustrating job to cost savings scale here?..

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
Yeah, the horn is a simple push-button inside the steering wheel. The only way for it not to work is a broken wire, which could be inside the clock spring, bad contact or a broken horn in the engine bay.

Brewski

Formerly Chris2021
Car(s)
07 GTI pkg1 DSG
sooooo you know how I said I wasn't having any lights? Spoke too soon. Air bag fault :(